“An Art from Food to Service”
Review of Geranium

Geranium
Ranked #8 of 2,696 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Danish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Outer Oesterbro
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was a highly anticipated lunch. A local friend raved about the restaurant. We booked in advance as our place to have our capstone lunch after a week in Copenhagen. And we just ate at noma the day before. The expectations ran high, and Geranium far exceeded those expectations.

The food here looked like art. The components of each dish were delicate, and you could tell a lot of work went in to place each item on its own spot on the plate. Some dishes came with presentation at the table. The presentation was not gimmicky; it just allowed us to see a piece of art to transform into another piece of art, like the Norwegian king crab served with cold crab bouillon. Some of the dishes were not what they looked like. The Dill Stone was my favorite and a good example of these visual surprises that also tasted delicious.

The kitchen managed to highlight the fresh ingredients and yet add sophisticated flavors, sensations and even surprises without masking the fresh ingredients. The charcoal potato with smoked sheep butter was a good example. It was black like a lump of coal, it tasted solidly like a perfectly baked potato, and it was enhanced by the tangy sheep butter. Simple, and yet elegant.

Desserts were beautiful and inventive. I still remember the delicate taste of the beeswax ice-cream, which paired nicely with the sweet-tart rhubarb compote. The goat milk mousse with beet crystal candy was simply stunning, but that did not stop me from savoring it.

Were there any misses? Of course. The celery chips in seaweed shape didn’t have much of a flavor, and it was too crumbly to dip in the delicious skyr and seaweed dip. Anyhow, the overall meal – or shall I say the culinary proceeding – was simply delightful.

The restaurant offers wine or juice pairing with the food. One of us did wine, and the other did food. The juices were delicious and gave acidity to keep our taste buds going. The wines were also well selected. Unlike at noma, these wines were less unconventional. For example, noma would serve unfiltered wine from a small winery through its partnership. Here, they just serve really nice wine.

The service was professional and friendly. Don’t let the white table cloth make you think that it is a stuffy place. It’s not. You even get your own copy of the menu to take home. I just love the fact that such an elegant setting could make us feel so at home. After eating there for three hours, we also got to know our servers and learn about them. They were knowledgeable about the food and dedicated to their professions. They even gave us recommendations of where else to eat in the city.

The restaurant is on a high floor in a stadium. So, if you go there during the day and remember to take a break from the beautiful meal in front of you, you can look at the beautiful view outside. We were there on the sunny afternoon, we could see all the way to Malmö, Sweden. Depending on where your table is, you can see into the kitchen, an elegant performance in its own right. Even if you are not near the kitchen, one of the course is served in the kitchen, so you can still enjoy it.

I can’t help compare Geranium to noma. They were both amazing and creative, from food to service, but I prefer Geranium. For me, Geranium strikes a balance of simplicity and elegance, from the food to the décor to the service while noma is bold and edgy. I also like that we had our table at Geranium, so we could have our own conversation. Regardless, if you can, try both, and you can pick your own favorite.

2  Thank Roncey

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have tried a number of top quality Copenhagen restaurants, but this was such a highlight! I've been to Noma too, but since I had an apple dish at Noma and a pear dish at Geranium, I will not go and compare... Although I do believe both deserve a third Michelin star for their individual strenghts.
Anyway, we had the 23-course Universe Tasting menu, and the matching wines. Søren Ledet was running the restaurant that night, and the service and wines were perfect. Visually, all the dishes were amazing, with incredible flavours to match.
The starters came in fairly rapid succession. Highlight were pickled pear with lemon verbena, dried flowers in a skin of dried apple juice, charred potato with sheep butter, and the soup of green asparagus and egg yolk with vinegar.
The following "main" dishes were all still very light, yet full of flavour. Jellied ham and tomato water served with fresh herbs and flowers, mackarel dillstones with cucumber granita, and salted hake with thyme, asparagus and buttermilk were next. After these dishes we were invited to the kitchen to watch the action from behind Rasmus Kofoed's Bocuse trophies, and were served the razor clam in edible handmade shells there. Back at the table we had fresh apple juice with chamomile, a perfect palate cleanser. The further main dishes included grilled langoustine, served on juniper bush which was briefly set on fire for flavour, and the most incredible, tender and perfectly spiced piece of lamb with summer truffle. A series of desserts, accompanied by sweet champagne and an amazing trockenbeerenauslese, included fresh yoghurt with red sweet branches, and rhubarb with summer flowers, rosehip tea and beeswax icecream. Coffee was filter coffee, freshly made at the table, and a nice show that good coffee doesn't need to be complicated. What an experience!

1  Thank Marco v
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Having been to Noma a few times, we decided to try out Geranium, and had the 23-'course' lunch Universe Tasting Menu. Wow, what an impressive experience, and in my view both Geranium and Noma beats a few 3-star Michelin restaurants in France. To have two world-class restaurants like this in Copenhagen is really a treat.

My favourites on the menu was the Pickled Pear, 'Chared Potato', Oyster with Fish Skin, the 'Dillstones', grilled Langustine, Lamb neck, Yogurt with 'red branches'. What a magic experience, and to have the opportunity to see the kitchen in action is a really good idea!

It is not really fair to compare Geranium vs Noma, but I am going to do it anyhow. The location at the national stadium is odd, however, as soon at you step into Geranium you forget that. The restaurant have a lot more space and bigger tables than Noma, which in my view is better located and have a more cosy feel.

The overall food impression for both restaurants is mind-blowing with Noma being more experimental and Geranium a bit less (in a positive sense), but both out of this world! The staff in both restaurants were both highly professional, but I prefered Noma's more informal style with perhaps more engagement.

The wine menu in Geranium was much more my preference, whereas Noma's wine were more botique wineries from lesser areas, which did not work as well with me. The juice menu in both restaurants is not really worth the money, and in some cases overwhelmed the taste of the food. So overall I still think Noma has a slight edge, but my bet is that Geranium will be the first 3-star michelin restaurant in Denmark, being slightly less outside the box, and with food that is hard to beat - even for Noma.

8  Thank PolarbearSingapore
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have visited Geranium before, actually the night before they recieved their first Michelin star.
And way back then it was our favorite meal, never thought it could be topped.
But this evening it did.
I had this as a present - dinner with wines and we arrived at 8.00 pm and was taken on a journey through 23 courses - one better than the other.
You do not get a menu until you leave - but you do not need one, the waiters explain to you as you get the courses and it is all eatable food - every plate is a artwork.
The experience is something out of this World, I can only highly recommend this to all - please go and try - you will not regret.
One of the dishes during services is to be enjoyed in the kitchen while you Watch the Chefs Work.
It is always SO enjoyable to Watch people do what they love and have passion for.
Respect! They do it so well.
They are taking good care of you while you are in the kitchen - and it is new and nice to try.
I hope it will not take 5-6 years before we revisit but then Again and experience like this can last a long time.
Thnak you Geranium !

1  Thank Pkoch
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Prepare to be dazzle with new taste, texture and flavors. Creativity is the key and what a change from classic french cuisine. The new nordic cuisine is made of fresh local food prepared in a unusual way.

We took the 23 courses menu but relax they are all bite size so you are not too full at the end. I took the wine pairing, and i would suggest it as it really did match the food.