“Great stay!”

Tivoli Hotel
Ranked #28 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“Great stay!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Very helpful staff and very polite. I recommend it very, very highly. I will stay there again if my travels bring me back to Copenhagen. The hotel is very clean and it was a spacious room. I was very pleased with everything I experienced at the Tivoli.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gorachgo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orivesi, Finland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed three nights in Tivoli Hotel, which turned out in a nightmare. The family room was very tiny (for two adults and two kids), there were visible dust in the drinking glasses and it seemed that the cleaning was not really proper. We purchased a Tivoli package, with tickets to Tivoli, Copenhagen with dinner in some of the restaurants in the Tivoli amusement park. They were actually some cheaper side of venues, with uneatable piece of meat and french fries.
Breakfast was horrendously expensive (about 25 euro per each, including children), otherwise decent. The dinner at the Hotel was not very good either, the restaurant staff were discourteous and unpolite, they didn't have time for the customers as they were busy socializing themselves. The hotel is situated "a walking distance" from the Tivoli amusement park, as they say, that is about 20 min walk, and there is still lot more of walking to do to reach the Stroget. There are a shuttle bus service, which was not in time, so you had to wait about 30 min the shuttle bus to arrive. I wouldn't want to spend my holiday on walking the remote situation. The pool area was nice and the sauna was great, but unfortunately there were no cleaning staff to be seen, all the towels were run out, and we had to dress up while soaking wet.

The worst was still coming: before our last night it turned out that our door key was unfunctional, and when we turned to the reception, we were told that we haven't paid the hotel (which we did on arrival). The reception staff called a guard, who escorted my husband to the room to pick some items from the room. We checked our bank account online, which showed that there was a reservation paid for the hotel, but unfortunately our bank wasn't open on Saturday evening. There was some mistake made by the reception staff, but they wouldn't accept it (which later on was confirmed by our bank). We were treated very badly, our children were crying in the lobby, but the reception staff were cold as ice. Anyway they permitted us to stay the night, but early in the Sunday morning the reception person came knocking to our door to see if we are still there (!?). The reception wanted us to pay the room once again (double!) which we declined. It turned out that one of the reception staff had tried to charge again our debit card, without our permission. And also it turned out, they tried to charge us a higher rate that we had originally made the reservation. In the morning our door keys were not working again, and we couldn't use the pool area, which we had planned. We were on a hurry as we had booked and paid our car ferry. We were told to sit and wait in the lobby, as they were serving other customers, and about after two hours we were told that we could leave the hotel.

As we returned home next day (Monday), there were an e-mail from the Tivoli hotel asking if we are going to pay the room (which we had done four days earlier). We responded with instructions from our bank, that the hotel should send a fax to the bank to ask the release of the sum payment reservation from our account, in order to be possible to pay the same sum again. They did nothing. Later we received an email from a reception person, in which she declined to apologize our ruined holiday, she also said that "we should be happy, that they let us go without some kind of warranty". The mistake they made was probably that they tried to charge our Visa debit card as a credit card.

We were offered nothing compensation, no breakfast, no discount, no apology, nothing. I sincerely ask anyone considering to stay in this hotel, please watch out! Take another hotel in the centre, there are lots of lovely choices there!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank sayrla
Jakob E, General Manager at Tivoli Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Sayrla,

First of all I would like to thank you for reviewing Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center. I am very sorry to read about your experience here at the hotel last summer. And I am very sorry that neither I nor the Front Office Manager were told about this incident.
I know that nobody here at the hotel would charge double on purpose, I think there were made an authorization upon arrival, not a payment. The authorizations though, do sometimes appear as a payment on foreign cards.
However, I am truly sorry that you felt we ruined your holiday here in Copenhagen. If you need any other assistance or have any questions, please send an e-mail to the hotel, attention me and I will personally take care of it.

I wish you all the best.

Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of a friend who lived in Copenhagen.. Although the customer service was very good we were disappointed that nothing seemed to go right at the hotel. This included not getting the proper package tickets for entrance to the Tivoli Gardens, to the room that smelled like smoke so bad that we had to switch rooms after 1 night. There was also the issue of chipped glasses in the room, the bathroom door not shutting properly and also not having our reservation on our return stay and then wanting to charge us more money then the confirmed rate we showed on our confirmation.

Also should be noted that the rooms are VERY small once the sofa is converted to a couch for the children..

The customer service was good to help us resolve these issues but these are problems that I would not expect to have to deal with for a hotel at this price level.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LaSirenaHotel
Dear Zarpe77,

Thank you for reviewing Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center.
First of all I would like to apologize for the inconveniences concerning the changing of rooms and the wrong Tivoli package you were given. These things should of course not happen. I also would like to apologize for misunderstanding regarding the payment.
If you have any other comments about your stay, please direct them directly to me by e-mail and I will take care of it personally. You can find the e-mail address on our website.

I wish you all the best and a nice summer.

Athens
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I really love this Hotel. The service is great, the staff are lovely, everyone speaks flawless English and the have a great "sticks and sushi" restaurant and bar on the top floor. I visited this week and asked for a pretty room - I was given a themed room which was just magical.

Room Tip: Ask for a themed room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jakob E, General Manager at Tivoli Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Libby,

Thank you for the nice review of Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center.
I can see from our records that you are a regular guest and I am very pleased to know that you are enjoying your stays here.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again on future trips to Copenhagen.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had pre-booked checked in with my girlfriend Friday night. I was asked if I wanted an upgrade to get a suite on the 11th floor instead of 7th, but declined. I wondered about the price when I registered my credit card, and decided to check my booking confirmation in my suitcase. Then I discovered that I had a guaranteed room with a suite at the 9-11th floor, that apparently are the best floors. So I went down and complained to another receptionist. And here the story goes from bad to worse.
1) Receptionist no 2, said I had no guarantee a room on those floors. But luckily I had a printed receipt saying the floor was guaranteed.
2) Then he said that there were NO AVAILABLE ROOMS ON THE FLOORS WERE HIS COLLEAGUE HAD TRIED TO SELL ME AN UPGRADE 20 min earlier.
3) When he heard that, I had to show him my printed receipt to get him to give me the room I had ordered.

I strongly suspect that the staff has a commission on the upgrades they sell, and try to keep the better rooms away!

I am checking out tomorrow, and I wonder if they will charge me the price they confirmed (I ordered directly from their own website to avoid any problems in that respect), or if they will try to screw me. I expect the worst!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SigurdTraveller
Jakob E, General Manager at Tivoli Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Traveler,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing a review of your stay at Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center.
I have to say that I was very surprised to read the headline of your review this morning. As I know that nobody here at the hotel would never cheat a guest, I decided to investigate your case to see where it went wrong.

You had booked a Juniorsuite. Our Juniorsuites are located on the 6th to 10th floor. They all have access to our Executive facilities (lounge, TV, workstation) on the 9th floor.
Unfortunately there has been a mistake on our website and on the confirmations, indicating that the Juniorsuites were situated on the 9th – 11th floor, like the Suites. This mistake has been corrected this morning and I am very sorry for the incident.
On Friday night when you checked in you were assigned a Juniorsuite on the 7th floor. The receptionist offered you to buy an upgrade to a Suite on the 11th floor. Please note that he offered to upgrade you to a higher category than the one you had booked; a Juniorsuite to a Suite.

When you showed you confirmation of a Juniorsuite on the 9th – 11th floor, the Juniorsuites on the 9th – 10th floor were already occupied by other guests. The receptionist then upgraded you to a Suite free of charge as an apology and because of our mistake with the wrong indication on our Juniorsuites.

I hope that you can see that nobody tried to cheat you. Furthermore I hope that you enjoyed your stay here with us despite of the incident and that you will return next time you are visiting Copenhagen.

Please contact me directly at the hotel if you have any other inquires. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding your stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here as a family of 4, children aged 3 and 7, on a package that included a days full pass into Tivoli theme park. A little out from the centre but the bus service to the park was perfect. On our second day we walked over to the large modern shopping mall nearby and caught the hop on / off boat tour that took us into the centre. There was a small play area for the children, and they were given activity packs as we checked in. My only slight moan is that with the extra beds there was very little floor space. We were offered a larger room on check in for a price and refused as we knew we wouldn't be in the room much. W survived with our kids being smaller, but not sure it'd work with teenagers!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marrowina,

Thank you for reviewing your stay here at Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center.
I am pleased to know that you and your family had an enjoyable stay. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed very recently and upgraded on arrival being that we had been up since 3am and our room wouldn't be ready until 3pm (we arrived at 11am). Service throughout our stay was efficient and friendly.

Glad we did though, the room (albeit small) on the 9th floor was lovely with a gorgeous comfortable bed, not so much of a good view unless you're in to trains. Nice wall mounted TV which had more than one channel in English. Extra pillow in the wardrobe if needed. There were Molton Brown goodies in the bathroom which were replenished daily and a stand outside the room. This was great, you could help yourselves to the following as it was free: apple and orange juice, water, crisps, chocolate and snack bars, 2 types of apples, pears and oranges. In the mornings another fridge was accessible with two types of fruit smoothies and mini croissants again all free. A newspaper was also delivered each morning. In the room there was a kettle, tea/coffee etc which was replenished each day and a minibar though we didn't use this. There was a free small bottle of red wine (not replenished) and a voucher for a free drink in the bar on the 2nd floor, again one use only.

Breakfast was fine, the usual hot and cold foods so cheeses, hams, fruit salad, yoghurt, fruit, cereals, cooked breakfast, pastries, bread/rolls etc. We went early if we could, we made the mistake of going about 8.30pm and it was incredibly busy and very noisy!

The Skybar/Sticks and Sushi restaurant was great. Some of the best cocktails I've ever had and the snacks and desserts were lovely. There is a huge patio outside and inside a lounge area and some swings.

We didn't use the pool or sauna.

My only tiny niggles are these:
1. As the room is small then storage space a bit limited, just the wardrobe and no drawers in the bedside cabinets. Not bad if you're on a weekend break with minimal luggage but more than that then you might struggle so try not to take too much stuff.
2. Shower went hot and cold during the evenings which I suppose is down to other usage.
3. We had to keep the bathroom door shut as the extractor fan seemed to always be on.

We didn't use the bus to Tivoli Gardens, it's only about an 8-10 minute walk so hardly the end of the world and as it's near the train station we walked to that as well. As the city is so flat it's so easy to get around by walking anyway.

Overall, the hotel was expensive but then so is Copenhagen and having spotted other hotels around the city that we were contemplating then I am glad we chose this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HubbysNumpty,

Thank you for your nice and detailed review of Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center.
I am very happy to know that you had a nice stay here and that you enjoyed the facilities on our upper floors.

Kind regards,