“GOOD HOTEL SHAME ABOUT THE SERVICE”

Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers
Ranked #5 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
uk
“GOOD HOTEL SHAME ABOUT THE SERVICE”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Stayed here 3 nights with my wife and 11 yr old son.

First the good bits. Other reviews are accurate. Rooms are good, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast OK and bar staff helpful. The hotel is of modern minimalist design, which suited our tastes. Shuttle to and from hotel is very efficient. It is very close to the train and metro station - the train is much quicker into the centre.

The downside is the area around the hotel is a building site or scrub land with few other amenities. No problem on the warm sunny days we were there, but not much fun I would imagine in a wet winter. The shopping centre is just fast food and closes at 2000.

My real issue is with the administration at the hotel. As with at least two other reviewers on here, I now find I have been charged twice, and despite a lengthy (and expensive) phone call back to Denmark, I'm still waiting for my refund. I knew the problem was coming after reading reviews before I travelled and despite my best efforts and reassurances from hotel staff it still happened! Why?

I had two separate bookings, first two nights paid, last night I used my reward points. On check in despite the front desk saying I was only staying two nights, I did finally get them to realise that I was booked in for three. Reassured no problem and I could stay in the same room. After midday following my second night, returned to find we were locked out of our room. I went through it all again at the front desk and it was resolved, but our room wasn't fully serviced. On check out day I was told I had nothing to pay, when I pointed out my full stay, I was eventually allowed to settle my account. I noticed the invoice was set against my free night, and specifically questioned this and was reassured there would be no problem with billing. What a surprise when three weeks later I find my credit card has been deducted again - I bet my first two nights have somehow shown as unpaid.

This is basic hotel management stuff, come on Crowne Plaza sort it out!

Oh and Copenhagen is one of the most expensive places in Europe.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 10, 2010

The hotel is outside the old city in a new modern suburb, halfway the city and the airport, however with excellent (fast, clean and cheap) connection to the old Copenhagen. It will take less then 15 minute ride in a hightech metro.
Via a booking site I booked this luxury place for a discounted rate of USD 180 per night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Denmark
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I planned on staying at the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen for three nights but realised that the hotel is not situated in Copenhagen, not even close to Copenhagen. It's situated on a field slash building site in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing in the vicinity apart from a dreadful shopping mall. No cafèes, hardly any infrastructure. I arrived late at night and after the reception had problems finding my reservation, then giving me a faulty keycard, I went to bed in a rather comfortable bed.

The next morning I had a closer look at the room and I just couldn't understand why a hotel in the furniture design mecca of the world had decided for this rather bland interior design. It looks like it had started off as good, well-known Danish design and then the guys from the States had been around to soften things up. Not at all a very successful result.

I went down for breakfast and again the staff seemed very friendly but totally without training. As the breakfast buffet was rather boring and a number of items had not been replenished, I decided to pack my bags and bring them to the city I had come to visit - Copenhagen. Luckily I found a nice hotel in the heart of the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Mrontherun
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Stayed here on an overnight layover waiting for my flight to Greenland. Very helpful staff with free transfer from the airport. Spotless and spacious, this hotel only opened earlier this year. Earned a 200DKK meal voucher by pedalling on the enviro-cycles in the foyer (generating electricity for the hotel). The front bar staff (eurasian female) was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Meals in restaurant were delivered efficiently and were tasty. Would stay again. Very close to a very large shopping centre and also a short train ride into the city. A perfect stay and all on my priority club points. Loved IT!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrAndyC
Vienna
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Stayed here 2 nights on a business trip. Very nice hotel, clean, modern but none of this crazy designer hotels. Rooms are large, modern very clean and quiet. Very good beds. Free parking, Free WIFI. Excellent for business - no tourist groups around, no families with noisy kids.
Location is far out the city. Next to a motorway and very close to CPH. If you want to go downtown your need to take a 20 min taxi ride or share a train with all the local immigrants.
Large shopping mall just across

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Berggericht
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We travelled from Kastrup airport by train: it was quick, cheap and efficient.. (I believe it is also possible to do it by metro, but this would be awkward and slower.) We did the return journey to the airport by the excellent (and free) hotel shuttle service.
Check-in was handled very well by the very pleasant and helpful staff. Our room on the twentysecond floor was clean, comfortable and pleasantly decorated (providing you like minimalist Scandanavian style!). The bathroom was excellent - it even had underfloor heating. We booked a package which included breakfast which was very good. Why then have I not given this hotel five out of five? First of all, I booked a "Tivoli package" which was supposed to include tickets for entry to the Tivoli Gardens and tickets for the metro trip into the city. I asked twice for the Tivoli tickets at reception but they could not be found. On the second occasion I was told that the concierge would find them and that they would be delivered to our room. They never arrived and I reached the conclusion that they probably didn't have any. I don't think they should promote a package on the website that they can't provide. The worst thing about the hotel for me was its location. Although it was just a ten minute metro journey into Central Copenhagen from the nearby metro/mainline station it was not a journey I wanted to make on a cold Danish evening after dinner in town. I found the area around the hotel rather grim. It is an area that is being developed but at the moment it is a building site. Even when it is finished I doubt it will have neighbourhood restaurants and bars - all the buildings going up appear to be of the glass-and-steel tower variety. On the May Day holiday weekend we were there the hotel seemed to have very few guests and was lacking in atmosphere. There is a large bar area and on one occasion only did we see anyone havg a drink there.over 3/4 days. The large restaurant wasn't well patronised - on the vevening we ate there only fou tables were occupied whilst we were eating. The food was good if rather expensive - although we found all Danish restautants to be expensive - probably the most expensive I have eaten in in Western Europe. The hotel restaurant deserved more guests. However, when we tried to eat there on our final evening it was closed. Our room didn't have a 'guest directory' listing the facilities and their opening times nor could I see opening times for the 'Storm' restaurant on the hotel website. To be fair, they did offer us a cut down menu in the bar, which we took although we ate in splendid isolation. One hint: when going in to town, buy a card for ten journeys - it works out much cheaper per journey. It was a shock to find that the metro/train stations don't have staffed ticket booths: all tickets must be bought from machines that don't take notes - only coins and credit cards. Since like most tourists I didn't have many coins I was forced to use my credit card and thought at one point that I had been charged but didn't get my strip of tickets only a receipt. I had to seek help - difficult because there are no staff visible at metro stations. It turned out to be a false alarm - the transaction had been cancelled because I hadn't used the correct procedure. Unlike in the UK, the credit card must be removed from the machine before entering the pin number! The only completed building near the hotel is Field;s Centre which is supposed to be the largest shopping mall in Scandinavia. We took a quick walk round but we thought it rather down market: unless you want to ea junk food or shop in H&M, Monsoon, the Body Shop or the like, we think it is best avoided.
In summary, we think that this is a good hotel which will improve with time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank V3971RTjohn
Pune, India
Reviewed May 9, 2010

The Copenhagen Towers has recently opened, so everything here has a feeling of being new! The staff is friendly and willing to help out.
On landing at the airport, you just have to walk over to the SIXT outlet and tell them that you have a room at the hotel. They call for the hotel shuttle (at no extra cost).
Rooms are big and comfortable. We got a room on the 23rd floor with awesome views!
The hotel is not close to the center of the city but is 100 m from a metro + train stop (Orestad). It is very convenient to get to the center of Copenhagen from here.
The hotel restaurant has a limited but tasty menu - it is good for eating for a night. Breakfast may be charged separately (depending on the type of room) but is worth the price!
All in all, we had a great time here!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple