“Beautifully modern and comfortable hotel!”

Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed September 23, 2010

A friend of mine who lives in Copenhagen recommended this place. I arrived a bit early (around noon) and my room wasn't ready yet. The desk clerk gave me an option to upgrade to a higher floor or to store my luggage in the basement (for 20 kroner) which I did. It is a quick walk to Tivoli and the main train station which is very convenient. You can get anywhere in the city from the train station or you can choose to do what I did which is just walk everywhere. I have attached photos of my room. The rooms are small but functional and when you are out seeing this beautiful city you don't spend much time there anyway. I did get breakfast there the first morning. You pay 60 kroner for basically just bread and some lunch meat and some fruit. I would recommend skipping this and going to one of the many wonderful bakeries in town. There is one across the street from the train station that has fruit, sandwiches, yogurt and pastries and it is cheaper than the breakfast at the hotel. This is an wonderful and very economical way to stay in Copenhagen. Just one thing, they are doing a lot of construction out in front of the hotel on the roads currently, but if you keep your hotel window closed there was no problem with the noise. (I was on the 4th floor)

Reviewed September 22, 2010

I visited Copenhagen for a short conference and stayed two nights at Wakeup hotel. The room was exactly as described at the website - although the bathroom is thankfully not see-through in real life (the glass is frosted).
The room was extremely tidy, and the bed was really comfortable with good duvets and slightly flimsy pillows. There was a huge LCD-TV, but nothing else in the way of amenities - as expected from a budget 2-star hotel. There isn't even a hotel folder so make sure you ask for the breakfast and checkout times at the reception. The interior design of the room and the lobby areas is very neat and stylish and I felt like I was in a dedicated "desing hotel". Definitely much MUCH better than the 2-star would let you imagine! The room is small but clever with a big window so it does not feel like a cupboard. A big luggage might cause some problems as there is not that much floor space. My small hand luggage fitted nicely in. For a single person the room is perfect, but for a couple it might be slightly tight fit. But if you want to laze around in the hotel this is not your place anyway. The room was tidyed every day and fresh towels provided if you let them on the floor. The hotel provided some basic toiletries, shower gel/shampoo in a small plastic sac and small bars of soap. I hate these small plastic thingies as they are desperately difficult to open without scissors especially with wet hands! One sac is enough for just one use so if you like to have an evening shower too, bring your own suff with.
Lots of talk has been about the air-con in this hotel. I also thought that the room was a bit stuffy on arrival, but opening the window for 15 min sorted that. On leaving next day, I left the window open (you can latch it securely so that it does not bang) for the day so it was wonderfully fresh an cool when I returned. The cleaning person had not closed the window of which I was grateful! During winter this might not be a good idea energy-wise, as the rooms are heated though...
My room was in the 5th floor facing the railway, but I did not perceive any disturbing noise with the window closed. I did rise early though. I like watching the trains so even if not exactly pictoresque the view can be interesting. The service at the front desk was fst and courteus, there were no queues when I was doing the checking in and out.
I did not like walking to the hotel alone during night-time. It might well be that it is perfectly safe, but long shadows, not very much light and construction works made it a bit scary for me. The surroundings will probably get nicer when all the construction is finished, wont take that long I suppose.
For the first morning I only had a sandwich from the front desk (45 DKK, rather nice and certainly fresh), and second morning I had time for real sit-down brekkie. Even though Copenhagen is an expensive city, I would have expected a slightly larger variety for the 60 DKK. There was one variety of (dryish) bread, some over-salty ham, one type of very processed cheese, tea, coffee and very diluted orange juice, some cereals and joghurt, and apples. While you can get your stomach full, it is not really a pleasure. Especially the missing "green bits", like some cucumber or tomatoes or even lettuce, were a sore point to me. BUT I am a bit of a fresh food snob...
If I will ever go to Copenhagen again, and hopefully I will as it is a wonderful place and Danes are great, I will stay again at Wakeup but I will have my breakfast at some of the little cafes at the main railway station or somewhere in the city. Probably would cost a lot more but I hope would be fresher and tasting better. Coffee is equally bad (weak and bitter) everywhere in Denmark so no hope for improvement there...
If you arrive before 15 (3 pm), the check-in time, it is handy to leave the luggage at the main railway station and go for a stroll in the city. Unless you have booked a better than a standard room, the rooms are not available before the check-in time so it's no use to go in there earlier. At the left end (when coming up the stairs from the train, right end if coming in from Tivoli) of the station there is a luggage locker (garderobe) where you can leave the luggage for 24 hours for 40 DKK (you need coins for that but there is a money changing machine down there).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I stayed here for two nights as I wanted to take a short weekend trip to see Copenhagen. It really is a great budget option and I would definitely stay here again if I was coming over to do a lot of sightseeing.

Location wise it is a short walk from the station - it took me about 10 minutes but I tend to walk quickly. I did the walk in the dark and felt perfectly safe, particularly because there seemed to be quite a few other people staying at the hotel who were walking to/from it.

The room was small but functional and although there was not a lot of space it had been designed well so you didn't feel cramped in. Obviously this is not a place to stay if you just want to sit in a hotel but it is perfect if you want a comfortable place to crash in the evening.

The breakfast was really good - different types of bread with cheese, ham, spread. There is also some fruit (not much though), milk, cereal and yoghurt plus tea and coffee and juice. The breakfast was included in the package I bought but I probably would not have bought it otherwise and just got something outside the hotel.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Our taxi driver didn't know where this hotel was it was so new! But when we got there and climbed over the building works outside we found it excellent for the price. Very clean, minimalist style with smart rooms containing all the essentials. I wouldn't go for a long stay but it's obviously designed as a business hotel so 3-4 nights would be fine. You can get drinks and snacks from the reception staff and there's an internet area with free computer access and seating for meeting friends. WiFi is free in the rooms too - an essential these days and one that most British hotels are slow to catch on to!

The room was small but perfectly formed - a small glass bathroom occupies one corner with WC, basin and circular shower - all with heavy frosted glass doors and screens so the effect is nice. The bed was comfortable and the huge flat-screen TV had Danish, Swedish and English channels. No wardrobe for shirts and suits was a small negative - just hooks on the wall and an underbed drawer for socks and stuff. But for around 70 euros a night I wasn't complaining. The breakfast restaurant is stunning and the fare was simple but plentiful and tasty.

So - a good find for those on a budget who are going to be spending most of their time in Copenhagen at business meetings or sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Stevev98
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it is one the best "budget" hotels I have ever stayed at. The hotel is brand new, modern and comfortable. The rooms are bit small, but big enough for one person for a long stay. They are modern and clean, there is no cupboard or any kind of storage facilities in the room, but there is a place to put your suitcase on and you can also make use of the second chair. The bed awas extremely comfortable. The bathroom is very small, but very functional and shower size is as per international standards, you can easily pick the soap up from the floor. The air conditioning does work, but it takes about an hour to cool the room down, this is quite normal in big buildings, and since the cleaner turns it off when leaving the room. There is free wireless internet access in the rooms and the connection speed was fairly good, I could watch videos and upload plenty of pictures onto my social networking website. In the lobby there are also 6 Lenovo workstations with free internet access and one printer, which you can make use of to print out a few pages completely free of charge. The breakfast costs 60 DKK, about 8,00 Euros, I only had it on the last day, since when I am on holiday I do not like to wake up very early and breakfast is only until 10:00 in the morning, but the price is ok for Copenhagen standards. There hotel is on a brand new street (building works are almost complete) and there are almost no eating possibilities around the hotel. In the reception they sell sandwiches, croissants and coffee from an automated machine. In the morning I used to eat two croissants and a take a coffee at the cost of 50 DKK, so you may really consider paying the 60 DKK for the breakfast, if you are the early bird, then I strongly advise it. I did not try the self check-in machines, it did not work because I did not have the room card, make sure you pick one up by the door before attempting to use the machine. Unlike some other reviews say, the staff was really friendly and polite. I cannot say anything about the noise, because I have a bad ear. From the central station you can easily reach the hotel on foot, I took 15 minutes walking slowly. The area is safe and I did not have any problem.

3  Thank lisboa100
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I stayed for 3 nights. Having booked a standard room (presumably on the lower/middle floor) I was upgraded to essentially the same standard room but on a higher floor (floor 7 out of 12). Unfortunately the bedside lamps weren't working so I mentioned this to reception who were friendly enough and tried to get the lamps fixed the following day but having been unable to fix them we were upgraded to a room on the 11th floor with even better rooms! Rooms were small but for a short break more than adequate. Air conditioning worked a treat and the bathroom, although small, had underfloor heating! Free wifi was a bonus, as were the 6 computers by reception with free internet access. Luggage compartments (if you've checked out or too early to check in ) were 20DKK that was non-refundable. Didn't opt for the breakfast at 60DKK (around £7) as there were plenty of pastry shops and 7elevens dotted around the city. The hotel was about 10 minutes away from Central Station and within easy walking distance from all the sights (within 30 minutes walk).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronsta_Manchester
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Wakeup Copenhagen for 2 nights at the end of August 2010. The hotel is about a 10-minute walk from the central train station and the Tivoli Gardens. There are very few restaurants nearby but given the reasonable price, the hotel was still a good choice. We arrived in the morning on the red-eye. Our room was not ready but we were able to store our luggage in their luggage room (20 kr for a large locker) and freshen up in the restrooms in the basement. There is also a lounge area if you wish to wait for your room. Check-in is at 3:00pm. We ended up upgrading to a Heaven room because it was the only thing available. It cost an additional 100 kr per night. Initially, we were given a room facing the train station. We asked to be moved to the quiet side and we were promptly given another room. We stayed in room 910. It was small, but based on previous reviews, this was expected. The room was very clean and comfortable, despite the small size. The hotel also offers complimentary WIFI.

We would recommend this hotel to other budget travelers. The accomodations are nice and the staff is always available to help. We will stay here again the next time we visit Copenhagen.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple