“Small - clean - affordable”

Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Hearst, Canada
“Small - clean - affordable”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Room are very very small ( and i really mean small ) like 7 feet by 16 feet and that includes the bathroom area. Its about 115 square feet. But once you get past the size - the room is functional, very clean and the price was right ( we paid approx 125$ ) if you are visiting and going back to the room to sleep - its perfect... Breakfast is healthy .. It is located just far enough from downtown to be quiet, yet some noise is heard from the tracks depending on what side of the hotel your room is !!

The hotel next door - the Trivoli - has great restaurants if you are in the mood for a more upscale meal... be sure to visit Nyvan Street

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the back or side of the hotel - not the front - because of the trains !!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night in March this year. The location is near central station, about a 10min walk. Whilst the location is good as it's near the station, it is on the opposite side of the city centre so it does take a little while to get to / from the hotel. It's also next to a canal so expect some extra wind chill. The hotel itself is very clean, new and modern. The staff were polite and friendly. We arrived around 11am and told our room wasn't ready till 3pm. We were offered to pay for an upgrade to a room available now but we decided to go explore Copenhagen instead. They have a luggage holding facility for 20 Krone. As we didn't have any Krone on us one of the staff gave us 20 Krone for free which was a lovely gesture. Our room was nice, a bit small but nice none-the-less. I actually enjoyed how the room was set-up with the shower as apart of the room. Gives it a "futuristic" feel. As others have mentioned the shower doors don't fully close. This is because one of the doors gets stuck, so if you look up and see where the rails are you can easily move the door to allow it to fully close. The bed was comfortable, it was a decent sized double bed, easily fit me and my partner in there. The blanket was only a single though, which I found odd. They provide another blanket but again it's only single, so my partner and I ended up having to have our own blanket thus preventing us from snuggling. The TV isn't in-line with the bed so if you're wanting to watch tv whilst in bed I suggest moving the bed over and then moving it back once you're finished.

Overall our stay there was pleasant. You definitely get what you pay for but I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mathew H
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

+ Good value for money based on the fact that you get a modern and central hotel

+/- The room is nothing extra, but has an okay bed, size, etc. Cleanliness allright, the shower should however have been cleaned much better (easy to see due to glass doors/walls)

- Poor breakfast (costs 70 DKK) with very (!) little to choose from
- Even though the hotel is located nearby the main train station (so much so you can hear the trains quite well if your room is facing the "wrong" way), you have to walk some distance to get to a kiosk/shop or restaurant

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Oslolosen
New York
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I arrived super early and was told my room wasn't ready yet so I opted to upgrade to a "Heaven" room for an extra 100 DKK/night instead of waiting until 3pm. I happily paid extra because I had an early flight into Copenhagen and just wanted to take a power nap, but otherwise, a standard room is fine. The 12th floor view overlooked the train station so it was blah in the daytime but you do get an amazing view of the sunset in the evening. Plus, the wifi was great.

I was worried about the location but it was a quick 10-minute walk from the train station. However, you wouldn't want to do the walk too late in the evening because while Carsten Niebuhrs Gade is well lit, there are parts of Bernstorffsgade that are pitch black (no street lightening from either side) when walking from the station. I was surprised because Bernstorffsgade is actually the bigger street. I didn't feel unsafe at 8pm, but I don't think I'd want to do the walk too much later than that because it's a really quiet area.

Another thing I didn't love was the design of the shower. When the sliding doors shut, there's still a small gap left and the doors can easily open if you accidentally bump the handles; the bathroom floor always ended up fairly wet. A big thing to note is while you can't really see anything going on in the bathroom (just shadows or an ankle at the most because there's a clear panel along the bottom of the glass wall), you will hear everything so that's something to consider if you're staying in a room with a friend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Oslo, Norge
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here when going to a concert, didn't want to spend much on the hotel since we were only going to be there for sleep.

Hardly a ten-minute walk from the train station (with rooms overlooking it), we found the hotel to be in a bit of a dead area. No shops or anything nearby, just offices and residental buildings.

Our rooms weren't ready when we arrived, but for a small fee we could upgrade to "heaven rooms" on the top floor, which were ready. Apparently they start cleaning top-down, hence the top rooms are always ready first. You may want to order a heaven room already if you need it to be ready when you arrive, though they have some luggage storage in the basement.

Rooms were clean and seemed quite fresh, the bed was comfortable and there was hot water in the shower. What more do you need? I also had a chair and a small desk, a tv and free wifi (that actually worked!).

Didn't use the "snack bar" or the breakfast buffet, but it looked like they had the most basic stuff.

I happily recommend this if you want a budget hotel (or bed and breakfast), central in Copenhagen. Just don't expect a gym, restaurant and all extras.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors are cleaned first, and earlier available for check-in (the other rooms are avail...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stian L
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a month, during my business trip. This is a new hotel, and you will get what you pay for, I would say that it is a good budget hotel. Its near to Copenhagen Central station so easy to commute anywhere (10-15min walk from hotel).

I stayed on different floors and would suggest high floors to stay facing Tivoli as you might be lucky one to see great Fireworks quite often :)

The rooms are pretty small and very congested with table chairs and bed, they don’t have almira in the rooms (at least not in the rooms in which I stayed).

As far as restaurant is concerned I would rate it Ok. The internet speed of this hotel is very good.

There is a mall near by so in the evening you can get lot of options to have your supper.
Overall my experience is ok except one thing: I didn't like drinking water from the tap of tiny washroom. :-(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GrigariousTraverler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Good value for money, centrally located and clean. Rooms are basic with shower, no bath. No kettle in room. Ideal location near Tivolli gardens but be warned it was not open when we visited, re-opens April. Would visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple