“Wonderful Danish Food”

Cuisines: Danish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Christianshavn
Description: Restaurant with a view right in the center of Copenhagen
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Loved it from the moment we walked in. From the homey Danish decor to the beautiful setting by the lake, we are so happy we found this little jewel. Our waiter was the best!

Between us we tried the sampler, which presented some if the best Herring anyone had eaten. The Plaice fish was good as well (a bit on the bony side)

Best Rye bread we had while visiting!

1  Thank lacasaturner

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went to this very hyggelig restaurant with my family and i have to say that we had a supernice dinner there. The location is wonderful. It's situated just in the middle of the bridge which connects Amager island to Christianshavn's. It has tables just beside the water: in summer must be wonderful to sit there, but you can also have a very cozy environment inside ;)
We had the "cold menu" which is basically top-level smorrebrod as starters (and you have to make them on your own ;) ). Then: pork meat with red cabale and pickles and typical danish cheese with marinated grapes. Amazing. I mean, i'm italian and i'm used to good food. Danish kitchen is completely different than ours, different tastes and ingredients, but if you like to try it, go to Ravelinen and avoid city centre restaurants. We paid 1350dkk for 4 people with a menu and 2 desserts. Not that high, for copenhagen standards

Reviewed October 1, 2013

In this beautiful and expensive city, it was a pleasure to find a beautiful and not so expensive restaurant. Six of us enjoyed a delightful dinner by the lake. Traditional Danish food accompanied by Aquavit (as the waitress said, "The fish need to drink, too").

We ate in a large, open space under a tent-like awning. In the wrong setting this would have been uncomfortable. But, the lake and the birds made it just right for outdoor dining!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were told by a colleague who travels to Denmark frequently to give Ravelinen a try. As noted in several of my other reviews of my trip to Copenhagen - the prices are ridiculous - much driven (I suspect) by the tourist trade. I was ready for somewhere that was true Danish, not going to break the bank, and not on the Stroget. We went there with a party of 9.

Ravelinen was just the right place to go. It is a 10 minute walk from the Christenhavn metro, right on the main drag, and it looks over a lovely lake complete with ugly ducklings and a beautiful momma and pappa swan couple. It was a full moon, clear and about 68 degrees - just lovely to be there as the sun went down. The lights of the "Our Savoirs" church came on - I felt like I was in a story book and that Hans Christian was going to show up an any moment.

As noted in prior reviews - this is not the Ritz. The menu is simple, and the food pure Danish - not a lot of frills. What I really liked was that it was very affordable, appetizer, main course and dessert for 300 kroner. I got the beef filet which was a very generous size, with nice roasted baby potatoes, french onion soup, and a lovely apple cake serving for dessert.

As the sun went down and the lighting in the restaurant came on, it got even more lovely. We were seated in an "outside/inside" area - the floor was gravel, but there was a roof and the overlook to the pond was glassed in. You really felt like you were outside though. However, when you looked back towards the main part of the restaurant, the inside seating areas (no one in them, everyone wanted to be outside) looked so warm and cozy. Natural wood interior, with lighting that made the wood glow softly and warmly. I could imagine being in there on a blustery cold day......

My beef was great, husband got chicken and loved it. The appetizers were very good - husband loved the salmon appetizer - I had the soup for appetizer (I am not a fish fan). Get the apple cake for dessert if they offer it. It was yummy.

I would recommend this to those of you who want to escape the tourist traps, have a modest meal with a lovely view that does not break the bank, and have a nice Danish experience. Tourists do NOT frequent this place - this is where the locals go - but you WILL feel welcome.

One downside - Denmark does not have no smoking in restaurants, so even while we were sort of inside/outside - one couple was smoking at their table. They are also allowed to bring small dogs in, which does not bother me, but if that is not your cup of tea - don't go there. Of course that also means that you probably would not like Parisian local restaurants either! Luckily the smokers had an adorable little puppy, so we forgave them for polluting the air. :)

Give it a try!

1  Thank Fitzgig
Reviewed June 24, 2013

went there aftur many years,have not been there for about 55 years.It was fantastic fine service,excelent food,and a fantastic view over the pond .It is a place build in 1724,but it is highly recomendly,enjoy it..And prices are acceptabel..