“Proper Traditional Danish Country Food in a Relaxed Environment, Reasonable Value”

Frk. Barners Kaelder
Ranked #103 of 2,598 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: European, Danish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner Vesterbro
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Hi this is a small cosy propper Danish Restaurant serving what I am told is very traditional fayre. I have to say the menu was varied and interesting the food was well prepared and cooked the service was bright and pleasant. The food was enjoyable tried the Herring 4 ways was very good as a starter, and traditional stew also very good. Portion sizes are generous and the pricing is fair in this expensive city. There is a undercover sort of Patio area at the front and the main restaurant is in the cellar, it has a busy feel and is a little cramped for space. I would certainly recomment if you want to try some real Danish cooking and dishes. I will return next time in this city for sure. Thanks good experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I'm staying across the street (Hotel Axel Gouldsmen) and went to Frk for dinner; obviously very convenient. I made reservations earlier in the day and he was able to squeeze us in. The restaurant has indoor & a patio seating. The indoor is in the basement, but its fairly nice. The service was VERY slow; had to wait 5 minutes for a beer, the food was wonderful; we both had the lamb chops that came with roasted potatoes and garlic. I think we just caught them on a busy night; give me a shot if you want authentic Danish food.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We are sent here by the hotel, and were not disappointed. Was worried it was a tourist trap, but full of Danish groups enjoying traditional heavy Danish food served well.

1  Thank Brighton_UKTim
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked a table for five, three adults and two teenagers (two locals and three visitors) on a busy holiday weekend and could not have been more pleased with our choice, the restaurant being next door to our hotel (Andersen)s it was more luck than judgement. The restaurant is at basement level, although there is outdoor seating at street level, quite dark, not dingy, a little cramped, but it was busy, and a pleasant atmosphere. Extensive, authentic Danish menu, plenty of meat and fish dishes. Huge portions, excellent quality, good service and reasonable value. Recommended.

1  Thank DesertOryx
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Can highly recommend the mixed herring starter. And the service was great with the waitress recommending a particular schnapps to drink with our fish entree. But should have just had this and a pudding as my Wiener Schnitzel was seriously enough to feed two people. And so off putting by being such a huge portion of meat, potatoes, and peas. The Osso Bucco was tasty and normal portion size! Asked for a doggy bag and gave at least half of my mains to someone on the street!