“Slow service and exaggerated menu”
Review of Il Grappolo Blu

Il Grappolo Blu
Ranked #415 of 2,498 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Description: BENVENUTI AL RISTORANTE IL GRAPPOLO BLU Il Grappolo Blu is a cosy authentic Italian restaurant located in the centre of Copenhagen . The restaurant opened in 1999 and has since 2003 been listed in the Michelin Guide. Chef and owner Alfredo Franco will expand your idea of what the Italian cuisine has to offer . He has uncompromisingly searched into the heart of La Cucina Italiana : Quality , Raw Materials, Simplicity and Taste . "My goal is to serve authentic Italian food and great wines for our guests and to give them the feeling of dining in italy. I would like to give the a piece of my Italy, while visiting us " - Alfredo Franco Owner and chef
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We arrived at 8 pm and our appetizers did not arrive until over an hour later. The wait staff explained that everything was freshly made, but when the starters arrived, almost all but two items are cold dishes so they had been pre-cooked and simply assembled on a plate. There is no explanation for why it should take over an hour to provide 6 measly small plates, 4 of which are cold. The waiter also told us that for our 10 course meal, we would receive 4 pastas. What arrived were 4 tiny plates, each plate with two small raviolis of different flavors. My husband and I have been to Italy a number of times on culinary tours where we tried food from all the regions and have never been presented with pasta dishes that resembled hors d'oeuvres rather than a full plate of food for the primi. This time, we got 4 little raviolis done in different ways. One of them, a fried ravioli was so dried that I couldn't even chew through the crust. Lastly, they charged 160 kronors for a glass of wine and even then the sommelier completely forgot to explain where the wine came from until I had to flag him down.

In addition to the food, there were problems with the waitstaff. When we made reservations we had called the main line so we could get a spot in the sister restaurant Osteria Il Grappolo Blu but they placed us in the Restaurant Il Grappolo Blu which required us to order a set menu. The waiter said they didn't have spots in the Osteria so they placed us in their higher end restaurant next door. After we finished, the wife of the chef came by and said the reason why they put us in the higher end restaurant was because we had booked online, which we clearly didn't. We called in the afternoon to make a booking and it went through the main phone line. Another source of frustration was payment for our dinners. We wanted to pay by card separately but their card reader failed, and they had another functioning card reader, but rather than allowing us to pay separately, they just simply put the entire bill on my husband's card. Clearly there are problems with all aspects of service in this restaurant. The cuisine was passable, but there are many better Italian restaurants that leave you feeling full rather than half empty. But the slow service and lack of attentiveness by our servers is another more serious issue, one which made the dinner a completely lackluster experience. Even a neigborhood taverna in Rome or Florence would easily surpass this antiquated and uninspiring restaurant.

5  Thank Sibylly
Giuseppe A, Manager at Il Grappolo Blu, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Mrs. Sibylly

We are sorry for the late reply, however we would like to express how sad we are, that you and your husband didnt have a great experience dining at our restaurant.
Unfortunately, we couldnt seat you in our Osteria because it was fully booked, which is why we asked you if you would be comfortable in the restaurant, where you decided to stay.
We are also sorry if you cannot taste the difference between pre-cooked and instant made food, however we understand that you clearly misunderstood the concept of a tasting menu and expected a big plate of pasta instead. We take full responsibility for that.
I remember that you were stressed when you all of a sudden had to leave, because you forgot that you put your cat inside your closet and needed to rush back to sweden.
But as I can see, also other restaurants has been bashed by you, such as stating that Geranium needs finetuning..??
I am sorry you didnt have a nice experience dining with us, but I guess I find it hard to relate to your critics, since half of what you are writing is untrue and arrogant.

Best Regards,
Giuseppe Aliberti
Restaurant Manager

There are newer reviews for Il Grappolo Blu

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our cooking class teambuilding with the sales department in our company became exactly this amazing experience as we all had expected. Everybody was impressed by the atmosphere, both in the kitchen and in the restaurant. All employees are without exception extremely dedicated and passionate doing what they do. There is the true authentic Italian atmosphere, plenty of warm smiles and eager to show “the happy amateurs” how to cook good Italian food. Everything met our expectations. We are just one happy and very satisfied sales department, who had a perfect afternoon/night “behind the scenes” in the kitchen. Il Grappolo Blu is for sure “a little piece of Italy” in the middle of the cold North, and what a piece!

After the cooking class, we enjoyed the rest of the evening in the restaurant. Antipasti, Primi, Secondo, Formaggi and Dolce and all the good Italian wines introduced to us by Pepe (very competent and charming, you clearly feel his passion for the wines). Utmost respect from all of us truly impressed of the indulgent, appealing and intense tasting food, which was all beautifully ´presented on the plates.

I can with all my heart recommend this amazing cosy restaurant - cooking at Michelin-level by 3 authentic Italian chefs or just going there for a cosy dinner. For us the wildest gourmet experience ever which included everything important when it comes to what good food is all about: quality, authentic raw materials…………and flavour! I am a fan for life of Alfredo & May-Britt Franco and their talented and very service minded staff.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

a high quality restaurant, but still cozy-enough athmosphere thanks to the owner, who made us feel welcome and warm.

Good, highclass, true italian food. Great Wine selection as well.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Finally I had the pleasure of dining here about a week ago or so. I have always been wanting to go here but someway never been able to make it before now. And it was NOT disappointing!

Luckily I even had the chance to taste the makeover of their new menu which will be ready by the end of October!

When entering it is as I would imagine it would be in Italy, the ambience and decor makes it for me. Adding the waiters and the food and not to forget the wine, you have made the travel of more than 2000 kilometers from Copenhagen to the area of Napoli where the owner is from.

16 Antipasti, 4 primi, 4 Secondi, 1 Formaggi and of course a dolci e gelati, all accompanied with an excellent selection of wines. More of this further down! - I would recommend not have eaten a heavy lunch before going if you decide on the full menu but as in Italy it is a full night dinner in a lovely atmosphere. Just lean back and enjoy!

The 16 Antipasti went to the table in a total of 4 services with on small plates. All of them very delicate and very tasteful, some however more conspicuous. Especially the steamed oysters, split cod, Eggs of quail with truffles, Duck bon bon's, rabbit and the millefoglie of veal tongue and foie gras. As mentioned so tasteful and delicate. Even the wines accompanied is excellent, as at some restaurants with a wine menu it is not always the best selection they serve but at Il Grappolo Blu, they go all in!!!
For the antipasti we had a Cambrugiano Belisario Ris 2008, Collio Keber 2010, Badia A Passignano Ris. Antinori 2007 and a Barbaresco Ronchi 2007.

The primi was classic italian dishes served in a modern, simple but very delicate way. Such as Pasta with THE meatball. Everything from the small details such as the tomato sauce to the presentation was razor-sharp!
The wine with the primi was a nice bottle of brunello 2006.

For the secondi we had two fish dishes and two meat dishes again an amazing taste, the fish was perfectly cooked and the lamb was some of the best I've tried ever.
For the secondi we had a glass of Cervaro della Sala, Antinori, 2007 with the fish and for the meat a very tasteful glass of Barolo from 2007.

Only two more dishes, a small but nice selection of cheese and of course a nice dessert plate, with a good selection of classic Italian desserts!
With the cheese we had a glass of Marsala Superiore Oro Vigna Miccia De Bartoli and for the last and final course Recioto della Valpolicella, Bertani 2009.

I can only send my warmest recommendations to Il Grappolo Blu. A full gourmet experience and a good competitor to Era Ora, the only Italian Michelin restaurant in Copenhagen.
Alfredo Franco and his team of excellent chefs and waiters will for sure give you a memorable evening for the love of food and not to forget Italy!

I hope you will enjoy as much as I did!!!

PS: All groceries are bought daily on the market, only fresh and seasonal! And free wifi for International diners!!!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Warm friendly service and great cuisine from Chef Alfredo Franco; they will make you feel at home and as if you really are in Italia!!