“Give et a try!!!”
Review of El Viejo Mexico

El Viejo Mexico
Reserve with
El Viejo Mexico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 2,665 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Description: Winner of Tripadvisor's prestigious award, Certificate of Excellence, in 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017.! Upscale Mexican restaurant located in one of the best areas, close to Queens Palace. Announced as the best Mexican restaurant in Copenhagen by Borsen, one of the most well known newspapers in DK. High quality, nice atmosphere, professional and service minded staff have made El Viejo Mexico to one of the most famous Mexican restaurants in Copenhagen. We probably have the best selection of premium Tequilas in DK plus a nice selection of Mexican beer and wine from famous European and overseas houses. People love our Margaritas and Mojitos. Good recommendation for food will be menu 1.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice, good quality mexican restaurant in Copenhagen!!

We enjoyed our visit and will recommend it to everyone we know!

Good Mojitos and Fajitas. Fresh and delicate!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Living in the area and seeing that this little Mexican place is often full we decided to give it a go. Whilst the atmosphere was quite authentic and the place busy, the food and service left much to be desired.

My set menu was just-about edible but not enjoyable. The main of beef fajitas in a starched 'wine' sauce was served luke warm, with a large portion of cheap and tasteless grated orange cheese plonked in the middle of the plate.

My partner’s chicken enchiladas were really quite vile - no discernible meat, just tepid uniform mush which looked and tasted like something I would feed the cat.
The drinks were quite nasty also, the margaritas did taste quite heavily of detergent, I'm quite sure they are bought in premixed by the bucketload, not made at the bar as they would have you believe.

The live entertainment, a poor little 'Mexican' wandering around with his droopy sombrero and ill tuned guitar, singing sad little songs of Mexico, didn’t really enhance the mood – in fact it made me feel quite sorry for him!

The waiter was rather dim witted and annoying, he kept on insisting we spoke to him only in Spanish. It wasn’t funny, If only the food was as authentic as his use of the lingo! He also didn’t manage to process payment via my visa or MasterCard, making me tramp down the street to the cash machine. And even then he lingered with my cash for quite some time before I finally reminded him to bring my change.

I would conclude that ‘The old Mexico’, should be avoided if you want an enjoyable dining experience, there are many other great restaurants along this road, and the road parallel (towards the water).

2  Thank Al O
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went to El Viejo Mexico for the first time for dinner with my girlfriend on a weekday.
The food was very tasty (nachos + burrito) and the waitress very nice but they were clearly understaffed as she was running everywhere.
Haven't tried their desserts but they looked pretty nice and good too!
A bit expensive for what it is so I wouldn't go back too soon or too often but definitely a nice place to try once or twice.

Also I tried to send an email to book but never got any answer so I just showed up...

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Having booked a table for 8 and having recieved a response that the booking was firm unless I cancelled, I was very surprised that my party could not get a table nor any kind of help with finding another restaurant nearby on that Friday night. I complained to the "Ankenævn for Hotel og Restaurationsbranchen" and won the case. The compensation, El Viejo Mexico should pay to me was never paid and since the Restaurant is not a member of "HORESTA", HORESTA is not paying. I don't have time or energy to go to the next level in the legal system for this relatively small amount, but want to warn all of you out there. Avoid this restaurant! Copenhagen is full of nice restaurants offering good food and good service.

5  Thank Peter J
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had my best dining out experience in El Viejo Mexico!
You MUST try mojitos once you are there ! Those taste even better than in any cocktail bar in CPH !
You can actually share the starter ( though, i would recommend not to, because we ended up ordering one more portion of nachos with guacamole :) )
What i loved the most is the wide selection of the main courses ! I am a seafood lover and finding prawn fajitas on the menu was fantastic! It looked amazing on a plate and tasted even better ! Also the size of portions are very convinient ! :)
The service was great, the drinks and the food were served quickly and the mexican singer with a guitar made us enjoy every single moment of being there!
Can't wait to have another wonderful night at El Viejo Mexico!