“Great location. Relaxing weekend.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hjerting Badehotel

Hjerting Badehotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Esbjerg
Hamburg, Germany
“Great location. Relaxing weekend.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in this hotel last weekend. The hotel has a great location as it's practically beach-front (you do have to cross a road to get to the beach). Since the beach forms part of a bay, the water is calm, makes it ideal for families. (It was not busy though. It's Denmark after all!) There is a boardwalk along the beach and a footpath (about 3-4km long towards northwest) which we took for a relaxing stroll. So all in all, the setting is ideal for a short, relaxing weekend.

The room:
We stayed on the ground floor. The room has doors that open to a patio. Although the space has to be shared with neighbouring rooms, there are screens between rooms. The room is simple and clean. We felt that the bathroom, however, can be made a little more cozy. The shower has no enclosure so the bathroom floor can be quite wet when one showers. For 200 euros a night (I acknowledge that things in Scandanavia are more expensive), I expected a bit more in terms of hardware.

The food:
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel. The dinner menu featured local produce. The food was of very good quality - just like what you would get in a good, big city restaurant. Breakfast was included in the room rate. Again, good quality - fresh, reasonable variety.

The service:
The staff was very friendly although they could use a bit more formal training. For example, our beer was served in wine glasses and we were given our chilled white wine well before we have finished our beer. The staff look very young so perhaps they just need some more guidance.

Sleep quality:
There was a wedding reception that night when we were there. We couldn't really sleep until 1 or 2am because of the noise. To be fair, the guests were not that loud. It's just that the function room was close to our room (the hotel is very small) and because it was a warm night, we didn't want our room airtight. So those who are planning to book this hotel may want to check if there would be an evening function during your stay.

Room Tip: The upstairs bedrooms do not seem to have balconies so downstairs' are better in my opinion.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miss_Yellow25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nefyn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

A nice boutique hotel right on the cost with wonderful views and the beach in front of the hotel.

I stayed in a standard room which was basic but comfortable. Not a fan of wooden floors in hotel rooms as it makes them noisy. That's the big issue noise travels very easily around the rooms.

If you have noisy guests you can't help but hear them.

The food in the restaurant and Ship Inn is very good. With a nice friendly atmosphere.

I would recommend you get on of the chalet rooms as looking in on them they look wonderful and you would avoid the noise issues.

Great location and I will stay again

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
New Forest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed here on business in January. -2 degrees outside but warm and cosy in the hotel, the room I had was functional rather than luxurious and I could not fault it apart from the towels that were a bit threadbare. I have to make special mention of the food and waitress service, it was very good indeed and someone has put a lot of work into the training of staff. I was on a diet but could not resist the first class steak. The waitress poured the wine absolutely perfectly and certainly knew what she was about. The only one I have seen do it correctly in years.
The hotel bar is frequented by locals who all speak excellent English.

Room Tip: most rooms have a sea view but ask for one anyway. Long way into town but a bus service passes the h...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I ate at the Hjerting Hotel in May and wrote a very favourable review, when it came to returning to Esbjerg with work I decided to stay here and what a great decision it was.
The rooms are fantastic, very homely in a Scandinavian way with a seaside flavour.
Breakfast is traditional Danish with great cold cuts and good coffee. I ate at the Ship Inn cafe which offers food all day and is slightly less expensive than the restaurant. The bar is also a nice spot to relax.
The hotel staff are great people, keen to help and a credit to the hotel, so good that I intend to write a letter to the owner telling him what a credit his staff actually are.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The suits at the front are the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was booked to stay here for one night as my job took me nearby. I was lead to believe that this was the most expensive and best hotel in Esbjerg, so I was expecting much.

The hotel has two car parks, no trouble where to leave the car, the welcome was warm and I did not need to show a credit card before getting my room keys.

The room was nice enough, sadly I had a view of a car park rather than the beach and sea, but hey, can't have everything. I was able to work via the free wi-fi, and was not booted off it at any point.

I was recommended to eat in one of the two restaurants in the hotel, The Ship Inn, which was OK. However getting service took some time, but once I had a table the service was good and the food quickly arrived. Plenty of locals seem to eat here which is always a good sign.

There was also a good selection of local beers, both draught and in bottles. The one drawback was there seemed to be a smoking room, which came as something of a shock and the smell did leak into the rest of the bar.

I did get a good night's sleep, although the hard floor of the corridor outside the room meant that i heard everyone who walked up and down untilI put in some ear plugs, but then I am a light sleeper.

In the morning, the breakfast bar had limited choice, which came as a disappointment, so after a coffee and a cheese roll I checked out and left for work.

Room Tip: As for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Volgograd, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Frankly I haven't stayed at the hotel itself but the location and breathtaking view would certainly make me chose this one for a romantic weekend. I had lunch at the restaurant which allows you to enjoy the landscape, leave alone a wonderful lunch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Two very good restaurants with different menus and styles. The more formal dining room has magnificent ocean view. Food is very good although expensive; service is very good. Breakfast buffet is wonderful. The other restaurant is informal, has a nice selection of seafood but is a little difficult to make a reservation.

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms are worth the view but get second floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bart250
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esbjerg
Scandic Olympic
Hotel Dagmar
Hotel Dagmar
#2 of 6 in Ribe
3.5 of 5 stars 180 reviews

Been to Hjerting Badehotel? Share your experiences!