“Fine for visiting Legoland.”
Review of Hotel Propellen

Hotel Propellen
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Billund
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is one of the hotels to stay at if you're visiting Legoland or Lalandia. My wife and I, and our son stayed here in the summer of 2012, and it was totally fine. The atmosphere is very nice, with a clean, stylish front desk area.

It's a short walk from Legoland, so for families visiting the park it's perfect - and cheaper than the Legoland hotel.

Our room was spacious and clean. Most hotels in Europe have tiny rooms, so we were very pleased. Breakfast was great - the Danes are very good at food(!)

My only slight complaint was the gym. They had pictures of the gym, and it looked pretty good. So I went to work up a sweat before breakfast. In my opinion a hotel should either have a proper gym (and charge the extra cost) or simply forget about it. It really was a bit of a joke. I think you could find a better selection of weights ++ in a teenager's room. But hey, I didn't come to Get In Shape.

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes! Especially for families looking for a place to stay near the two amusement parks.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lachde

Reviewed January 29, 2013

On arrival the reception staff were helpful despite my very late arrival. Rooms are spacious and clean. the beds are very comfortable and wifi is free with a good signal.

Breakfast was excellent. Our meeting finished early so rather than wait in the airport for 6 hours we decided to go back to the hotel and the staff could not have been more welcoming. We also had an evening meal which was very good, would definitely recommend the Crepe Suzette!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Was here for one night-hotel about 5 mins from airport.Friendly greeting on arrival.Rooms are all different in both size and style.One colleague had lovely large room whereas mine looked like it had campbeds in,velux window and very small!! That said they are clean and warm but basic-OK for the one night but you would not want to book in for week.
Only about 500m from Legoland which is probably its appeal.
Breakfast served was lovely with great selection of eggs,cheese,meat,cereal and yoghurt.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I selected this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. Maybe it is one of the best hotels in the area, but not to my liking. I flew in from Oslo on Tuesday evening arriving around 9 PM. Next bus was well too long to wait for, so I decided to walk to the hotel. It was about 30 minutes of quite unpleasant walking along a busy airport road w/o street lights or pavement option. Still not a single bus passed me then. The hotel is a bit too far even for well trained walker as I am. I wish they had a shuttle service as in normal countries.
The check-in was all right, quick and pleasant; however, even small candies or fruit by the counter was not free (which was very unusual) and cost a bit. The hotel is trying to make $$ anywhere they can. Also, it was well more expensive than many other hotels around.

The room was not small, it was VERY small. I usually do some push-ups and ab crunches when I travel. No room on the floor to fit in.
I asked for a room on a quiet side (#119), which was far away from the main building, but it had a busy road behind the bushes.
The shower was also very small, but the water pressure and temperature was good. No good shampoo though was provided.

Hence, my pros:
- Friendly and efficient front desk people
- Nice looking hotel from outside
- I got a bottle of wine for filling the survey!
- Breakfast was not bad, but worse then Norwegian one I usually have at Thon Panorama, Oslo
- Nice exit to the patio in the back
- The room was very clean
- The bed (two twins together) was nice for a single traveler and provided a nice sleep
- Water pressure and temperature was all right

Cons:
- Pretty sketchy Internet, not super bad, but not great - free though!
- VERY small room and shower
- No ventilation inside, so one has to keep the windows open - hence noise from outside
- Every little thing is charged for (worse than Hilton)
- Very small work desk (barely fit my laptop)
- OK breakfast - cheese, cold meets, bread, no hot food - but free!
- Too far from Billund Airport w/o a car (30 minutes walk) and very limited bus service, too far from Billund Centret too. The bus to Esbjerg was about 22 minutes walk from the hotel.
- Too expensive for the location and service provided

Overall, I felt a little bit claustrophobic and uncomfortable, but maybe it is very typical for Denmark - a country of vikings, who can live anywhere:)

Room Tip: There is the other side from the room #119 in the far way building (where I sayed), which is certain...
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked this as a package through Legoland Holidays where it included 2 days to the Legoland park in the price. Upon arrival, we also found it gave you a special 2-course menu you could order from for dinner. The only disadvantage to it was you had to specify your dinner time in advance & make that appointment for your meal...you could change it, but only if they had space. At first, I didn't book the dinner thinking it was pricey & we didn't eat that much...then we went into the restaurant to eat & I saw the same things on the menu...to eat the special menu they give you to reserve is half the price of ordering off their menu! So do the Legoland package & use their menu! the food was decent, though from a US perspective, paying that much the quality wasn't what you'd expect...but this is Denmark & everything's expensive!

There were a couple of items that they seem to be going total cheap on...like the fact that they charge you 6DKK for each person drinking water (tap water!) at the restaurant unless you order drinks! Well, water is the healthiest drink & that's what we drink...so we paid 6DKK per person for tap water! They didn't even give us bottled water at that price! Seems rather cheap on their part. & even the waiter that explained it to me seemed embarrassed about it! The other cheap area we noticed was the size of the serving utensils on the breakfast buffet...the buffet itself was great, but the utensils were the size you eat with! Who can really get out a portion of scrambled eggs with a bite-size spoon? Hopefully this wasn't intentional on their part...but if it was SHAME on them!

Location near Lalandia (right across the street) and Legoland (about a 7 minute walk) and town (you can eat here for about half the price, but a 15-20 minute walk) was perfect. And the price was half the price of the Legoland Hotel.

Rooms were neat, clean & comfy, but very noisy as not much sound-proofing from neighbors. Definitely ask for a room away from the hallway on the way to the restaurant & away from the lobby!

Room Tip: Halls & rooms are quite noisy...be sure to ask for one away from the restaurant & lobby &...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The service was good, and the location was good in reference to my company. The rooms are very average, even below average by American standards. I liken this to a Days Inn. They were vey clean and spacious though, so that was inviting. The restaurant is nice, much like a bed and breakfast or fine dining restaurant. THe Bar (opens at 830pm) was very cool. It is in the basement, dimly lit, and full of stone. You feel like you have stepped back into time. It doesnt go with the decor of the hotel, but it is a great bar area none the less. I'd recommend this for business travelers.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Quick check in, flexible meal times, clean rooms. Overall a good price value in this Jutland area in Denmark. Close to the airport but quiet. Restaurant food and service are good. Lots of families with kids visiting nearby Legoland.