“Welcoming and comfortable”
Review of Hotel Propellen

Hotel Propellen
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Billund
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed for two nights and was mst impressed with the welcoming staff and the comfort.

Small and simple pool, lovely restaurant and simple bedroom.

A good location, in walking distance of Legoland which was fascinating.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Although I stayed there on bussines I liked it. It was simple furnished, the toilet was big and clean. The bed though very soft. I had some problems with electricity, because the lamp and the tv were on one switch, but i handle it at the and. There is a machine for boiling water in the room. In the hotel it is also a smal pool and sauna and of course a playing room for kids. The breakfast is ok, althoug if you like to drink coffe, you will be disapointed. It has very bad taste.
The hotel is just a sort walk from Legoland and Lalandia, where is big Aqualand and lots of things to do inside if there is a bad weater. Also lots of restaurants inside. There is not much to do in Billund itself, so be there during the week, because also Legoland is quite empty and you don't have much to wait for the attractions. You must also go to new Polar express train and see the penguins, they are so nice.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I have stayed a few times at the Propellan on business over the years and found that there is a marked difference in service quality between winter and summer periods. In the winter time they rely on business travellers and are more attentive. From Easter Legoland is open next door and more guests are one time visitors with children going to legoland. My experience in the restaurant was terrible, I ordered the wienerschnitzel from the very limited menu and waited 45 minutes for it to arrive even though the place was only 20% full. When it finally came, it was clear that it had been sitting under a warming lamp for 30 minutes. The meat was dry and burnt and the peas dried hard, while the accompanying bowl of potatoes were nearly cold. To be fair, after complaining they did not charge me for the inedible meal but 394kr ($72) for the very small cheese board and a mediocre bottle of wine was steep.

I would advise families with children, not to eat in the hotel as the restaurant does not really cater for children

Room Tip: The garden wing is quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RickLjungsbro
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a 2 day legoland deal (we were actually there for the best part of three days because of how we'd worked the flights). We used the luggage room to store bags before we could check in and after we'd checked-out as well as a small safe/deposit box for passports, etc.

Reception staff initially appeared friendly and welcoming, but ask them for something non-standard or query their policies/procedurers and you'll see them change a little. I made the mistake of pre-authorising my credit card in GBP (Great British Pounds) rather than the local Kroner, but as it was just a pre-auth I wasn't too bothered. When it came to check-out they quoted me a room-charge total in Kroner but then charged me in GBP. When I asked them to change it, they said they couldn't so I'd effectively lost £150!

We'd booked a family room and ended up in a twin-bed room with a sofa bed, but I'm sure that when I'd reserved it the description was a double bed and 2 x single beds. I therefore challenged them on this and was told that the double bed described in the booking was the sofa bed! When factoring in the Danish way of having single duvets for each occupant of a double bed, I can assure you that I wasn't well rested!

Just as well then that the breakfast is very good, particularly the pastries obviously. The cooked selection (bacon - oddly very dry and crisp, sausages, scrambled eggs and potatoes) was good and the selection of breads along with the pate simply excellent.

On the first night we ate at the restaurant and were not particularly happy with the service, choice of food or the price. The service was good right up to the point when we asked for a jug of water for the kids - they obviously wanted to sell us a bottle. Call me a cheapskate if you like, but they were happy to provide jugs to the table once the meal arrived, so why not initially?! I've come across this a few times recently. The food itself was good but cold. And be careful if you like your steaks well-done, the default setting I'd say is medium-rare!

After the meal we had a few drinks at the bar, expensive, but great service and a nice atmosphere. So good, that on the second night we thought we'd eat there rather than the restaurant, but for no obvious reason, and without any warning, the bar was closed - the receptionist wouldn't provide any reason other than to say that it wasn't open every night. Their literature says it is open every night other than Sunday - it wasn't Sunday! Given the hotel's location the choice of alternative evening meal arrangements were limited, so we reluctantly used the restaurant again, and felt we were just getting in the way of staff trying to serve the businessmen who were staying there.

We used the swimming pool and sauna - both were good with nice spacious changing rooms.

Having walked the 1KM footpath into Billund (which runs next to the hotel), we enjoyed our time in the very clean, relaxed town and visited a few shops a beautiful bakery/coffe shop. Everyone was very friendly there.

In summary, I'd say that it's location, being so close to the airport, legoland, the industrial areas and the footpath to Billund's centre along with it's cleanliness and professional ambience make this hotel a good choice for families and business travellers alike. That said, it's slightly pretentious restaurant and staff are a bit off-putting for families.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank H I
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The people in the reception is nice! the hotel in general is good, i stayed here on a business trip, good enough i think, just didn't like the fact that restaurant don't have a lot of dishes to choose from for dinner and well what they call well done on meat is not well done but i guess that is a difference in Denmark not a problem of the Hotel restaurant.
It is very near LEGOland so it is convenient for a visit to the park, besides there is a park just a few steps away so you can use it for running. Oh and the hotel has a little gym and a ping pong table.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Stayed 1 night as part of a Legoland 2 day package booked on Legoland holidays website. We are 5 and the room had 2 twin beds, a double sofa bed and a pullout extra bed, and it was a big room so plenty of space for us all. Most rooms seem to open out on a little courtyard with patio tables and chairs. Good for families - hotel has a playroom, games room, small indoor swimming pool and snacks/drinks for sale at reception. With the package there is the offer of a Legoland menu deal at the hotel restaurant - worth taking as, though the choice was limited, you get 2 courses off the menu for 190DKK which is about the same as one main dish from the normal a la carte. Quality of food both at dinner and breakfast was good - not Michelin standard obviously, but perfectly fine for a family hotel. It is about 5 mins walk to the main entrances to both Legoland and Lalandia, so pretty well located. All in all it was a good choice for us. We stayed last year at the main Legoland hotel - Propellen is considerably cheaper, but the rooms and food were pretty similar.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 5intokyo
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Comfy beds. Quiet rooms - couldn't hear the planes at all.
Food was a real surprise! Really tasty, stylish and huge portions. Great wine too. The only problem was flies. Midges and big black flies. There were loads in our room, and in the restaurant: landing on the food. Its a shame, because the place is lovely.

• Stayed: September 2011