WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Valley, New Jersey
“Does the job nicely.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We spent a business week here in November and found the hotel to be pleasant. Location is fabulous. Staff was mostly capable though not above and beyond. Room was clean. Breakfast was nice. Lobby Bar was stocked with the basics. Gym was so-so.

The biggest issues we had were minor in general. We needed guidance on restaurants and no one had suggestions other than "Try down by the river, they are all good." We asked for a spa recommendation and the spa they recommended was horrible, but I will save that for another review.

There were never enough towels but the bathroom floors are heated which made up for it. The beds are two twins pushed together: I understand now, this is not uncommon in parts of Europe. The lights were key activated so when you left all electricity to the room powered down leaving out phones and laptops not charging. An explanation of this would have been helpful.

Other than small inconveniences, the hotel is modern and new, and I would definately recommend it for the business traveler.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear LynM,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at Scandic Aarhus City.
I am delighted to see that you appreciate the hotel and the location in general. I am, however, a bit concerned that our staff didn´t quite live up to your expectations, and I can assure you that I take this very seriously.
I agree with you that it is by providing the best service and being above and beyond that we gain the confidence and loyalty from our guests.
Thankyou again for taking the time to give us feedback, it is highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely
Nina Carlslund

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've stayed here for more than a week on a business trip. The location is obviously a strong side of this hotel: on your way there you will realize that you are in the middle of Aarhus, within walking distance to shopping streets, party streets, restaurants etc. Whatever is the purpose of your stay in Aarhus, this is a great location to start from.

The lobby is big, built together with the bar and the restaurant (2 levels) plus an area with a lot of armchairs and such. The whole area looks modern and clean, still keeping some Scandinavian simplicity. The front desk staff is OK, they are professionals who know what they are doing -though sometimes when the place is overrun by guests to check in or out, things can significantly slow down with just 1-2 people manning the desk... Seems like they would need more people for peaks. It is also a bit strange that there's no space for a normal queue to be formed between the very long front desk and the other side of that half-open corridor which consists of the bar and the "minibar" as usual in Scandics (no minibar in the rooms but you can buy some basic drinks and snacks 24/7 at the reception).

The corridors leading to the rooms are silent and modern, with some music playing -sound proofing seems to work very well, I've never heard anyone else here or from the room.

My standard room was nice. The view is one of the exceptions, looking (at a corner) at another room's window so we both had to keep our blinds down all day... No big loss since otherwise all you could see was the inner courtyard of some surrounding buildings. Also I don't like the Scandic-standard "wardrobe" which means you have no wardrobe but just a place for hangers out in the open... But otherwise the room is stylish and modern. The AC works fine and very silent, the bed is convenient (a colleague of mine complained that it's too soft for his more sensitive back though), the pillows are a good compromise between too soft and to hard (and there's enough of them). Moreover, there's a power outlet above the night stand! This is such an obvious thing to do in a hotel to charge your phone at night conveniently, but so many places forget about it! The bathroom is good, modern, clean, shiny. There's no shaving mirror though which is a strange miss in this otherwise well-thought out environment. The small desk is usable for work.

I had one strange issue in my room though: after taking a shower, every single time I had water dripping from the AC grating for a while which is right above the desk, so it went on my laptop until I realized what's going on... Luckily no damage and I was in a hurry when I checked out so I forgot to mention this to the staff... I hope they will read it here and address it.

Also, a few times it seemed like the quality of the cleaning varies quite a lot, dependent on the day... I assume some cleaning stuff takes their work more seriously than others, who don't even wash the sink, or taking towels without replacing them.

The breakfast was good, nothing special but nothing missing, just what you would expect at this level. Somehow the apple and orange juices were way to sweet for my taste, but that must be just a difference in tastes among countries.

The restaurant is nice, they can make a good steak -if you order for dinner, because for lunch somehow the same food can come a bit lower quality (had different experiences with steaks for lunch and dinner). The bar is very good, with great selection, great staff (in the evening) and many people -though you have the opportunity to go out for drinks, having a good bar within the hotel is a very nice thing.

The meeting room facilities were good, modern, functional, nothing missing, everything works, complimentary coffee -everything helped us concentrate on the work at hand.

Bottomline: whatever is your purpose, this is a very good place to stay in Aarhus. With a few small improvements, they could become flawless!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear nOrdicguy,

Thank you very much for your thorough feedback after your recent stay at Scandic Aarhus City,
I really appreciate all your comments and I would like to recommend our new service next time you stay with us. As from today it is possible to checkout online, meaning that you will completely avoid any queues during "rush hour" in the morning.
I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back at Scandic Aarhus City.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Aarhus City is by far the nicest of the Scandic's in Aarhus. The design of this hotel appeals class and everything is so nice and appealing. The way the bar is set up and the restaurant that is half a level below street plan kept in the old style from early 1900 Aarhus. Simply well done! The rooms are great but the materials used show very quickly sign of wear and tear and the dust is seen very easily. Cannot be an easy job for housekeeping department. Breakfast is nice, the only thing missing is the friendly attitude of the front desk staff. Some of the employees in that section should not be in the service industry.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jelundgren,

Thank you very much for your feedback after your recent stay at Scandic Aarhus City,
I really appreciate your comments, I am however concerned about your comments on our Front Office staff , and I know that my hotel manager has contacted you in regards to the matter.
I really hope that you have the time to help us with more feedback, as we pride ourselves on superior customer service

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back at Scandic Aarhus City.
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

You cannot beat the location in the City og Aarhus, and the hotel usually has god family offers udring holidays. The place is nice bit the modern building offers a dyr and not so pleasurable Inter climate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear KVJ2300,

Thank you very much for your kind review on tripadvisor, after your recent stay at Scandic Aarhus City.
I am very happy to see that you appreciate our location.
I am however very sorry to see that you find our indoor climate to dry. I hope this will not prevent you from staying with us next time you are in Aarhus.

Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The location is great, very central. But the room was dirty, with weird hairs on wall tiles (!) as well as on the floor in the bathroom, stains in toilet, strange smells. Everything felt dirty. The staff was polite (barely), but not friendly and not attentive. It was very unpersonal. The bed was extremely soft, sheets very coarse, almost sandpaperlike! Towels very greyish, thin, not soft. I will avoid this hotel on future trips to Aarhus!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Marlene K, Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you very much for spending time to write a review on Tripadvisor, your feedback is highly appreciated. I am very concerned with your comments on our cleaning standards and I can assure you that we take this very seriously. This is not the way we want our guests to perceive us and definitely not what our guests should expect from us. I am also very sorry to read that the staff not was friendly or attentive since we are constantly working on training our staff to do their very best and we normally do get really nice feedback on our service standards. I will therefore look into what can have gone wrong.
I am truly very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and I really hope to be able to welcome you back at Scandic Aarhus City so that you can see that this is not our standard.
If you can find the time and if you have any further comments for us I would really appreciate it if you contacted me on either email marlene.kristensen@scandichotels.com or telephone 0045-8931 8118.
Thank you once again.
Best regards Marlene Kristensen
Dural
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having stayed at the sister property Scandic Plaza, we were pleasantly surprised to see that this new hotel just a few blocks away was so much better. Fairly new, ultra modern, lovely bar area and breakfast was extensive. Staff were very helpful and friendly and right in the shopping district of Aarhus. We visit Aarhus regularly and will be staying again in this almost boutique hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Dwhittle,

Thank you very much for your kind words after you recent stay at Scandic Aarhus City. I am especially happy to see that you appreciated the service at the hotel. We pride ourselves on friendly and caring service.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

Kind regards Nina Carlslund
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

The speed of check in was nothing short of miraculous with very pleasant staff. It's a chain of hotels so has a corporate look but room was comfortable, clean and quiet and WiFi was free. Self service breakfast had a great choice. I didn't ask but there seemed to be bikes available for use from the hotel. Very close to the pedestrianised city centre.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear 482EUfan,

Thank you very much for your fine review on tripadvisor after your recent stay at Scandic Aarhus City. I am glad that you liked the hotel and the location.
And your are right, we lend out bicycles, it is a part of our environmentally friendly profile.
Once again thankyou for taking the time to give us feedback.