“Perfect hotel down town Aarhus”

Scandic Aarhus City
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Aarhus
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 17, 2013

New hotel by the pedestrian zone in Aarhus. Parking facilities just around the corner.
We had a booking for just one night for a family of four. Checking in the clerk asked, if we wanted a seperate room for the kids for just a little amount more - cause they were not fully booked.
That´s good service. The hotel is nice and quiet, it´s clean and the rooms are over standard. We are fully satisfied and will certainly be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear FamilienJuhl,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the hotel and the service you recieved during you stay. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that my team members went a little further to make your stay more comfortable. I will be sure to share your feedback with them.
I hope to welcome you back to Scandic Aarhus City.

Best regards Nina Carlslund

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Lovely hotel, brand new, with a large lobby, clean and bright and with nice rooms and a lovely breakfast.
BUT the rooms facing the streets are VERY noisy... so much so that its hard to get a good nights sleep. Even with earplugs.
If you cant get a good nights sleep all the other qualities of the hotel seems pointless. We wounder why a brand new hotel didnt get soundproff windows installed?
Upon leaving we vere asked if we had a pleasent stay and we said that the noise from the street disturped our sleep. The receptionist wasnt surpriced, and said that we werent the only ones who complained abouth the noise. According to him, the hotel might get the windows changed.
But othervise he seemed indifferent to all our trouble.
If the noise wasnt that bad I would give 4-5 stars, but due to the excess noise 2½ star is fitting.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lonech

Dear Lonech,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about the experience at our hotel during your stay.
I am very concerned with the comments you specifically about noise in you guest room and the reaction from the receptionist clerk. We have an E-shaped hotel, so we have several rooms not facing the street. I do really apologize for the inconvenience you experienced and I will share this feedback with my team, so that we make sure that our guests get the room suiting their needs and preferences.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 5, 2013

With many hotels, they fall short of "Excellent" because they are - well - just not good enough all round. With the Scandic City hotel in Aarhus, it's really more a combination of small things. Nothing on it's own is worth quibbling about, but when it all adds up, it does cause irritation.
The hotel is spotlessly clean, modern and very bright: sleek, modern furniture and that general "minimalist funkiness". But the execution sometimes lets down the original design features.
For example, our room had a 'wet room shower': a corner of the bathroom over which a showerhead hung, separated from the toilet by a glass screen. Achingly trendy (and with heated floor too!). But. But. But....the floor is supposed to slope towards the drain, not away from it. Every shower flooded the entire bathroom making it difficult to use for an hour or two afterwards. This was even after using ten towels as dams across the floor and mopping the floor afterwards (We really, really should not have had to do this!). Turns out the hotel is well aware of this problem with some rooms, but chose not to forewarn us. Go figure.
Then the hotel bar and restaurant and room service completely shut down for both the 31st December, when we had been expecting to use the restaurant that night. No warning and few other options that night in town. A hotel can close it's restaurant and bar whenever it chooses. But best to let guests know.
The hotel is centrally located and close to the main railway station. There is (quite expensive) underground parking at the hotel (no discount for guests).
The restaurant is small but very good, although the bar is the usual insipid, hotel bar atmosphere.
Beds are comfortable, if a little too soft and we did find the AC/heating difficult to get right: always too hot or too cold in the night.

It sounds like we didn't enjoy our stay. But we did. Friendly, helpful staff and good, clean facilities made it a woerthwhile stay. It's the small, easy things they need to work on.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

First of all thank you very much for staying with us at Scandic Aarhus City and thank you for taking you time to write about our hotel. We really appreciate when our guests’ are writing constructive feedback.
We are concerned with the comments you have made on the floor and the slope towards the drain and therefore we have decided to have quite a lot of our new build bathrooms changed so that the slope will be made correctly. I will immediately see to it that we are able to provide our guests with a mop for these rooms until reconstruction is finished.
I am very sorry to hear that you where not informed about our restaurant closure, we did write it on our website in the beginning of November, but have to be aware to be even clearer in communicating it.
I am very pleased to hear that you after all enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff helpful, then I hope I am able to welcome you back to see that the small things has been changed.
Once again thank you for your feedback, it is highly appreciated.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nice Scandic standard hotel and very quite.
However our room was very dusty since there had been some recent repairs in the room.
Since the hotel is just opened the interior is new and stylish.
Public parking garage available at hotel (payment per hour).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear FromHareSkovby,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. I appreciate your kind words and I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to repairs in the room.
I hope to get the chance to welcome you back to Scandic Aarhus City.

Best regards Nina Carlslund

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Scandic Aarhus City opened in mid 2012 and is one of the bigger hotels, with over 200 rooms. Very convenient, if you travel by car, because of the two parking levels below. There is also a Steakhouse/grill restaurant in the basement, serving dry aged beef – excellent quality!

The rooms facing the street are rather noisy, especially in the morning, sound isolation is not very good, even with all the windows closed. In my opinion, the beds are too soft, but that of course is a very individual perception. However, there was a lot of dust under the bed, it looked like it had not been cleaned for a longer period. After we told the reception, they took care of it but there was never an excuse...

1  Thank frankman_10_12
Nina C, General Manager at Scandic Aarhus City, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Frankmann_10_12

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is highly appreciated. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Scandic Aarhus City.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Nice modern scandic rooms, clean and decent service. Good selection for breakfast and excellent central location. We walked and dinned and enjoyed our time in the area. So for sure the place to be. And in general a pleasant place to be.

But like in some of the other reviews... stay away from the road side. The city street maintenance and garbage collection started at 5am!! Already struggling with time change this was less than appreciated and front desks response was pretty well something like...that is the way it is here...really ?! Asides from that it was all what you would expect.

Room Tip: Chose location of room wisely - ie look to avoid the busy street.
1  Thank Peter S

Dear Peter S,

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at the Scandic Aarhus City. The first night I couldn't fall asleep at all, cause the traffic was so noisy. I was surprised about the bad noise insulation of the windows especially since the hotel is pretty new. It just opened this year.
Fortunately I could change the room without any problems and from then on the noise level was ok.
Since I had a bathtub I took the opportunity and took a bath. So far so good, but when I opened the drain, it was too much and ended in flooding my bathroom.
The room itself was very modern. I had a double bed, one chair and a small table. The window had blinds and simple curtain. I found it very cold and uncomfortable, nothing cozy at all. The hardwood floor had a nice pattern though.
The room cleaning seemed to be a bigger deal. The mirror didn't get wiped properly enough and throwing a newspaper took me three days. Twice I found the thrown newspaper and other stuff on the desk or in the shelf when I came back to the hotel in the evening. That was odd.
The breakfast is quite ok. They offer some fresh fruits and veggies, a lot of cold cuts, some simple pastries and very nice rye bread. Around 7.30am it's very full and can be a competition to get an empty table.
The people behind the desk are very friendly and try to help you.

Room Tip: Rooms pointing to the inside yard are quieter.

Dear Kristin Miles,