“A little disappointing, but food was tasty” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Danish, European
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
London
“A little disappointing, but food was tasty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My Danish partner booked this restaurant to celebrate my birthday and, at the time, asked if they would put a birthday cake candle on a desert for me as a surprise. They said yes! :-)

There are no English language menus, but there is a charming English speaking waiter (well, he is actually English, so speaks it very well :-) who could answer my questions.

The fish of the day was the only possibility for me, since I don't eat meat. I ordered mash to go with it. My other half ordered a large ribeye and roast potatoes, which he really enjoyed. My food was okay. My fish was fried in butter (I like it over-cooked, but others may not). The mash was also swimming in butter, so a bit too rich for my taste.

We finished off with a desert trio of two brûlées and sorbet. Again, a bit rich for my taste, but my other half insisted I have desert. But they forgot the candle! :-(

I wouldn't rush back because service was slow and it was rather expensive for what we had (about DK 1300 with two aperitifs, half a bottle of white wine, a beer and two glasses of desert wine). I think there are better value places with equally good food in the area.

Visited February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Minnesota
“Nice surprise in Svendborg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Have eaten several times at Restaurant 5 within last year. Nice new location inside the hotel.
Consistently great food. Innovative with a flair of Danish. I defintinetly recommend for business dinner or special occassion. Not inexpensive, but nothing is in Denmark anyway. Look forward to future dining experiences at Restaurant 5.

• Visited November 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food, friendly service, attentive and hardworking owners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Best food in Svendborg by a long way, recent new owners, Geoff and Nina are both passionate about making the hotel the best in the region. Good location by the harbour to watch boats and ferries coming and going adds a relaxing quality

Menus are small and creative, fresh and lively own brewed beer, excellent wines. Well worth a detour

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love the food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My friends bring me out for dinner to this lovely restaurant and my goodness
This is the best meal I have in Denmark. We polished off everything on our plates and asked for more bread. The food is really very good with the waiter helpfully explaining every dish for us.
I would definately go again if I every visit Denmark again

• Visited August 2012
Maribo Denmark
“New Nordic Cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

A young and very enthusiatic staff serve modern Nordic cooking at a very fair price.
Pre-dinner drink with appetizer, 5 courses with a very good selection of Italian wine, coffe and
a wide variety of digestif's including excellent locally made spirits for less than 1000 DKr.
Value for money, cozy place near the harbour.Nice people. Worth a visit

• Visited July 2012