“Best meal of the entire trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Den Gamle Kro

Den Gamle Kro
Ranked #6 of 240 Restaurants in Odense
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Netherlands
“Best meal of the entire trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

One of the few restaurants we found open over the Easter weekend so we could not be too fussy - but what a gem!

Excellent meal of foie gras, duck breast with pumpkin puree, spring greens, potatos and a truffle sauce and rounded off with crepe Suzette and coffee and washed down with a very decent bottle of New Zealand Pinot Noir - this was the highlight of our trip.

Friendly, professional and knowledgeable service, impeccable food and a great location.

Not cheap though.

Visited April 2014

• Polish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Amazing Building and Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

This building is one of the oldest in Odense and it is absolutely stunning. The food was very good and the service was spectacular. You must not miss this amazing place!

• Visited April 2014
Denmark
“Do not forget to visit this fantastic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant several times during the last 35 years. And it always surprises me. Fantastic open sandwiches, kind and efficient service and fairytale surroundings!
This is a place where you can travel 100 years back in time - and enjoy traditional Danish food when it is best.
Do not miss this place!

• Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“TERRIFIC FOOD & SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Just order the smoerrebroed (the open-faced sandwiches) at lunch--you can't go wrong. The dinners are very good too.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank WJClinton
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Dry chicken covered in salt sauce”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Went there last week for my husband's birthday dinner using a gift voucher from a friend. I was so excited because I always wanted to eat in this old, charming looking restaurant. The voucher was for 3 course meal, starter, main course and desserts. The starter was salmon with rosmarine, which was okay, and the dessert was chocolate cake with ice cream, which was okay too. But the main course was a disaster.
The main course was roasted chicken with kale inside, and some potato with cheese and artichoke. The chicken was very very very dry, and it is just like eating chicken covered with salt. What amazes me was the arrogant answer when I told one of the waitress that I could not possibly eat that, I can not even feel my tongue from all of the salts. He just told me that it is marinated in salt and supposed to taste like that. He then said that he can't really explain to me in English, which then he explained to my husband in Danish. My husband told me, it was just the way it is, nothing that they can do about it. We can always order out from the voucher and try our luck. I was amazed because the waitress did not even bother to offer solution, he can see that I only ate one bite of the chicken, I finally just put the plate on the edge of the table, until another server asked me the problem, and I explained to him again, and he finally asked me if I want something else. I told him, what are you offering, he then took my dish and in 8 mins replace it with the same dish, made in hurry I supposed, because it has no kale inside my chicken now. But, at least it was not covered with salt, and was not as dry as the one that I had before. My husband tasted it, and still complain it's too dry. But, I am not bothered to complain again, because I do not believe they can do it better. It was just an unpleasant experience, and was so glad that we actually went there with a voucher, I would not waste my money to eat there again. Even when I got another voucher for the place. Not worth it.

• Visited February 2014