“A spa doesn't make a hotel a 5 stars one.”

Ramada Plaza Thraki
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Alexandroupoli
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed there during a business trip. The hotel was booked by a company, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it.

I was given a room at the ground floor, facing the backyard and a fence. The first bad impression is the dirty carpet in the hallway that leads to the room, and the dirty carpet in the room. The room number was a scruffy hand-written plate on the door....Imagine these two first impressions, for a so called 5 star hotel...

The room itself was spacious but with many problems. First of all there wasn't a lock either on the main door and the bathroom door. -1 points there.

No safe in the room. I had to put my valueable belongings in my car trunck... Another -1 point there...
No stationary material or info abouth the hotel or the room. Just a room-service menu and some info about the spa...
The bed was mediocre but provided good sleep, at least for me.
The TV, as said by others, was an old type one. Doesn't bother me, but hey, it's a 5* hotel at the bottomline...
The wi-fi was free and with a good signal.

The whole room was looking old and cheap. Cheap furniture, full of scratches, dirty carpet, not many amenities that define a 5 star hotel.

The breakfast bufett had a good variety of foods but there were two things that ruined the whole impression. First of all, the orange juice. Canned orange juice with awful taste... And everyday I found DIRTY cups for my coffee... DIRTY cups....

The spa is grate, with many amenities but I found the 12€ charge for the pool, even for the hotel guests, very disturbing. They don't charge the steam bath or the sauna or the various shower cabins, and they charge the swimming pool. Imagine bringing your kids along. You will have to pay 12€ per kid to keep them busy and happy...

In conclusion: I didn't enjoy the stay. In fact I left earlier than my scheduled departure because I didn't enjoy my stay at all.
The hotels needs a BIG renovation.
I wouldn't stay again at that hotel if I had to pay myself for the room.

If I had to rate it, I would have put a 3* stamp to Thraki Palce Hotel....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DoctorSotos

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent in the hotel New year's Eve - the location is very nice, just on the seaside. Most of the rooms are with seaside view. Their is a beach - tipical for Greece - small, some sand, but mainly rocks. It was unpleasant to see a pipe from the hotel pulling up in the sea. Probably due to the season the cleaness was very poor - the carpets in the corridors where dirty, the bath tubs - not cleaned and with rust. The breakfast is average having in mind also personal taste. Generally very bad organization of the celebration for 5 star hotel - announced to start at 21.00 it started at 22.00, on a buffet, with no entertaining program. Overall impression - good location, not for five star.

Room Tip: You should search for a seaside view as there are not more than 10 rooms (numbers 108-117) which are...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank delidim
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel should be rated between 3 and 4 stars.
To be more precise, they had a 5 star breakfast buffet where you could prepare your own Greek coffee - if you wanted to, but all the rest was mid-rated.
There was no Internet connection at the rooms. They said that this was temporary but the point is that we had to go to the lobby to do our work.
The room was pretty large but the carpet was rather old and slightly damaged.
There was too much noise at the hotel lobby and the surrounding areas from some groups that were accomodated then (old people, police officers) making our stay not too much comfortable.
Having in mind that we had to pay 80 euros for all this mess, then I would say that the hotel is overpriced and does not worth more than 60-65 euros for a double room per night.
P.S.: It is located around 5-6 km far away from Alexandroupolis. Don't prefer it if you would like to stay at the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nice and clean. All of the rooms have a good view of the Aegean sea. Very good value for the price. Superb breakfast. It was my second stay last summer and will definitely go back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights in late June in order to be to a friend’s wedding. In fact the wedding reception was hosted in the hotel. The first impression is great the entrance and the reception area are glamorous and well maintained but when you get into the rooms then the scenery suddenly changes! Although the rooms are quite big and spacious there need some serious renovation as they are worn down and look miserable!! The views are good but not enough to change the image of the rooms. The hotel is located outside the city (about 6km from the city centre) so if you don’t have a car is not easy to access the city as there isn’t any frequent transportation available. What is really worth in this hotel is the SPA area as it offers a variety of massages and treatments. When I visit it has an offer package with very competitive prices for massage and aqua therapies that I found really relaxing. I would stay there again, but it certainly won’t be my first choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank serserou
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed with my wife and five year old daughter for a week in August 2012. The hotel bears an excellent location and some of its characteristics are of a five star+ hotel. The the unobstracted view of the Aegean, the huge common areas, the swimming pool, the spa, the juice and cakes at the reception area, the 90 EUROS per night with breakfast that was very reasonable.

However is very poorly managed and this is abovious from many aspects.
1. The poor or non-maintenance of the furniture, fittings and the building.
2. The lack of internet or wi-fi in the rooms. When we booked, the room was supposed to have capled internet but the first night they told us that this does not work because of a problem with the provider.
3. The breakfast was supposed to finish at 10.30. However from 9.45 there were many items that were exhausted and not replenished. I had to ask the waiter and wait for about 10 minutes to get what I wanted (if I was lucky).
4. On checking out I realised that there was only one receptionist who was also anwering all phone calls. It took me about half an hour to check out. Then I asked for a porter to help me with the luggage and the answer was there was no porter. After 15 minutes they managed to find somebody. While waiting there I heard the telephonist telling a customer that the reservation department was closed on that day and that he could call tomorrow for a reservation. Unconceivable especially if one considers that no internet reservation van be made.
5. The staff although willing to help, is not trained for a five star hotel. The appearance manners and inability to deal with problems shows that they have been hired without experience.
6.When we arrived at the hotel after a day tour of the area we were shocked to see that the room was not cleaned.
7. the prices of refreshments could be more reasonable (7 EURO for a toast with ham and cheese is expensive).

We enjoyed staying in this hotel, but the experiece could have been a much better one if we felt that somebody is taking real care of this hotel and how it is managed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank George H
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I had a terrible experience with this hotel. I decided to drop in without reservation. They accommodated me and reduced the price to 60 euro from 73 when I asked if that was the price on the internet as well; so I thought that wasn't bad for starters. When I checked in they said I had access to the gym, but later in the evening I found out that the entire spa (to which the gym belongs) was closed. The pool outside was also closed for something and all tapped off, and not available. The movie network (entertainment club) wasn't working either. Then when I checked on the internet to see how the hotel was rated, I discovered that it wasn't even possible to book through the internet. I wonder why? They would be nailed for false advertising as none of what is advertised was available. On top of all that the rooms themselves are very worn out, with the rugs all rippled and raised in the hallways and the rug in the room stained. A really nice facade at reception. The only good thing about the place was that it is in a nice location on the beach and the room did have an seaside view (not hard to achieve as the place was totally empty). Also, the receptionist was very nice and accommodating. That said, I decided to write the whole experience off to bad luck and went to the bar for a beer - which cost me 4.5 euro and I was the only person in the bar/dining area which could sit about 200-300 as it is a large conference centre. Anyway unless you can stay at this place for free, don't bother: biggest mistake I ever made - and it is listed as a 5 star; I cant believe it, maybe at one time but certainly not now.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you can personally check out the rooms and make sure they have renovated...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandroupoli
Astir Egnatia Alexandroupoli
Apartment Hotel Athina
Apartment Hotel Athina
#5 of 8 in Alexandroupoli
FilosXenia Roxani Country House

Been to Ramada Plaza Thraki? Share your experiences!