Protessilaos Hotel
Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Volos
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Little of the nice things described by other reviewers - I mean not only the especially baked cake and/or the wine bottle take-away gift, but even the scrambled eggs/omelette -, though a nice experience overall. The room was, I deem, one of the largest that they have here - I'd booked a 2+1 one, even though we were just two. My wife loved the extra-large matrimonial bed, more exactly its very, very soft & thick mattress and matching pillows. (She actually said: "These are the best mattress and pillows I have ever encountered in a hotel, anywhere in the entire world!".) As for me, I'd bend towards the smaller, twin-size bed attached, with a harder mattress... :) The room was well furnished, had an LCD TV with many satellite/cable channels, a very powerful air conditioning unit and a desk - but I was on holidays, so I didn't use it at all... The balcony, even small - and, again, almost unused by us, except hanging our towels (still wet from the last, morning bath in Zakynthos) - was a cool addition with its pleasant sea view. The beach is not at all sandy, as some of the fellow reviewers said - it's somewhere mid-way to pebbles, being in fact a constructed, entirely man-made one. Had seen a very similar one in Almeria, Spain. Some time ago, I'd swear there had been no beach in both places. You can tell this easily at least by its "sand" consistency/texture and the suddenly deepening water right next to the shore (yes, I know it can happen so even on purest sandy beaches - at the Turkish Mediterranean, for example, but trust me on this one). This does not mean the whole ambient of the place is not nice - by contrary. I liked a lot it as it was not touristic/commercial... Back to the room. I'd requested a non-smoking one, but this had a particular, unmistakable cigar(ette) odor. I raised the issue to the lady in charge/owner - who wasn't speaking English almost at all -, but being immediately contradicted, I chose not to argue with her. She was a lady, she was in her 60's, it was already 8 pm, we were very tired and the problem was actually not that big... Yet, dear madam, it was not a non-smoking room you gave us. :) The shower is new, I reckon, with cool message/jacuzzi-like features. Unfortunately, I did not use them at all, nor my wife. Our sheer choice, as they were perfectly functional. A bit less functional was the rather poorly set curtain, that would never, ever, stop water from flowing unto the floor, both because being too short (= there's is a 2-3 cm space between its lower end and the shower sink edge) and... completely missing one side (= towards the wall opposite/facing the shower system). We did see some other double rooms, with shower cabins, in the morning - picked glances through the open doors, before they got cleaned :) -, but those had only two regular twin beds, not matrimonial/king size ones, and also their entire design was somehow a bit inferior to ours... therefore we got then even happier with what we had been offered. :) The breakfast was missing variety, but I think it was quite good. I mean I do possess a pretty sensitive stomach - which just behaved during the next 700 km until our next stop in Bulgaria. So I dare to consider that the butter, toast, eggs, cheese, ham, jams and tea that I'd eaten were fresh and/or of at least decent quality. I/we skipped the cake - not sure if baked in-house or bought - as it simply seemed old and a bit stale. In the morning, I met the coolest and most vivacious person in Greece - I deem it was the owners' son. A very charming character, member of the local theater group and a host of other cultural & artistic endeavors, and speaking good English. Chatted with him for about 20 minutes before hitting the road again... and said we'd be back one day. Which was not a lie. :) We did like the place = village of Nea Anchialos entirely, even with those several obvious, rather quirky elements of the hotel. Oh, one more thing: the restaurant/taverna we chose for dinner, the evening of our arrival, is called "Galaxias" - I know for sure, as its wi-fi connection is still in my phone networks' list. :) Food is extremely good and reasonably priced. I had a tsipuro (without "anis") - that came with a small fish snack bonus (alike Spanish tapas, if you like, yet somehow viceversa... you ask for the booze and it comes with an appetizer attached), fresh fish fried meatballs, and some grilled sardines file. Everything was very tasty. But the moussaka my wife ordered - and was unable to finish :) - was the absolute peak of the feast. You can hardly get something like this getting cold and yet keeping its complex appeal, not being oily and difficult-to-eat at all... Savored to the very last bite. Awesome. Plus that among the people around us 90+% were locals (mostly colorful seniors). With the additional beer, glass of wine (the house's variety - very good), and icecream accompanying the chocolate souffle/brownie at the dessert, my wife & I did spend (t)here some of our 2+ nicest hours ever. Stayed June 30th/July 1st, at the 2nd floor - yes, the elevator does seem be missing its inside door, but only seems, as this is the Greek style! :) -, in... the last room on the left hand side, after you turned right from the elevator (perhaps 206, but not that sure right now). Most likely we'd return here.

Room Tip: "2+1" rooms have the nicest double beds, while (most of) the twin ones have shower cabins.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DragosPlacinta

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We where relocated to the partner Hotel Laodamia which is very good, friendly people great breackfast will stay there again. Protesilaos is right on Beach which in the Summer we asume is more loud at night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with trip.ru
5  Thank CharlesMerlin
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The place is a hidden gem, imho. You have a medium size hotel facing a sea with a pedestrian promenade and a wide boulevard with ample parking. Although, the hotel decor feels dated and I think an elevator is missing was missing an inside door, I have really enjoyed this place.
It is ran by the zaniest hotel manager in the whole of Greece. :) He offered us a beer right as we walked in and entertained us with endless conversation about life in Nea Anchialos and overall situation in Greece.
The beach has darkly shaded sand, but is very well groomed and has all the amenities. You can use their beds for free if you buy coffee or something from a nearby cafe. Sea is really calm until mid afternoon. From what I could understand, there's only one good restaurant on the promenade. It's the next before last on the left when facing a sea. You will know this just by noticing how many patrons it attracts vs. the other taverns there.
There's also a fairly large supermarket ("Galaxia", I think) just a few blocks away from the hotel, if you get bored by the restaurant cuisine. I highly recommend this place on the mainland if you like the beach, hate pebbles, and want to avoid droves of tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside room on a higher floor for a better view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Seth J
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The rooms are quite simple, good beds however. But what a very friendly and warm reception our family received in this hotel. The owners mother baked our children a cake, she was so kind. The owner is awfully helpful and kind.
The owner told is he is planning to renovate the bathrooms this summer, which I think is a good idea.
Breakfast is good. and this hotel is really quite inexpensive.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank davida12H
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Perfectly located just a few meters from the beach and about one hundred meters from nice restaurants. The staff at the hotel was real service minded and friendly. Tasty breakfast with personally made omelets. Real good value for money.
Karl from Norway

Room Tip: If you like the sunset you will not see it from sea view room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KarlKarlsson
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Unbelievably Nea Anchialos wasn't mentioned in our Lonely Planet and we were initially worried what we had booked but after seeing Volos the next day we realised we'd found the best place.

The owner Vassilis couldn't do enough for us - from printing us maps, finding us boat times, giving us a lift and inviting us to a party - we felt like we'd found a friend rather than a Hotel owner.

The room was clean and great value for the price.

Nea Anchialos is lovely - you can sit on the beach on a bed without paying more than the cost of a coffee. It's not full of tourists, the restaurants are good, the sea is clean.

It was a perfect start to our holidays.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Kate-Florence
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Very nice moderate size hotel with the most caring and warm people working there I ever met!
Situated just at the beach with a small boulevard in between and ample parking space.
Nea Anchealos is a small town, visited almost only by greek tourists, so the restaurants in the vicinity offer only REAL greek food. The risk of ending up with the darned "tourist menu" here is nil. Downturn is that most people's english and german is quiet poverish.

Though some technical items are a bit outdated (difficult sliding shower doors, some cables not neatly finished, but hanging out of the wall, cable TV does not have the perfect signal quality) but these are things that almost every hotel in this pricing category apparently offers as standard.

As we said, the friendliness of the staff and the location makes a stay in this hotel very recommandable.
Where else do you find "mother" to go to the kitchen to prepare something special for you for breakfast?
Where else does "dad" give you something to drink when driving home again?

Thanks to the staff for making our stay worth wile.

Klime and Henk. Netherlands and Republic of Macedonia

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank KlimeandHenk