“Transformative experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Skyros Centre - CLOSED

UK
“Transformative experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have to echo the other reviews here - Skyros is a magical experience. I did the Transform your life course, superbly run by Kate Daniels. I didn't expect to have so much fun in the two weeks, or to make good friends there. Highlights were the beautiful boat trip and the 'cabaret' evening. David

1 Thank hotelvisitorUk

• Greek first
  • Slovak first
Norwich
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nurturing mind, body and spirit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I finally got to Skyros after reading a review of the Writer's Lab courses eight years ago. My apprehension of semi-communal living combined with an imperative to 'perform' creatively was instantly dispelled by the magical setting and lovely mix of people. Believe what you read: Vasso's food, the setting, proximity to beach and town with fabulous tavernas is all true. What makes it so special though is sharing the joy of living with like-minded people and learning to value your innate creatively that comes from feeling relaxed and accepted. Throw in a sprinkle of healthy cynicism, rejected positively, and go home feeling stronger and happier with at least half a dozen friends you fully intend to see again. Not bad for a fortnight on a Greek island!

2 Thank KarenNorwich
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Finding my writers voice in Skyros”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just back from 2 weeks at the Skyros Centre doing a creative writing course. A fantastic experience all round. I found my writers voice, met some amazing people and had a major life personal breakthrough. The centre is a beautiful space for creativity, with stunning views over valley towards the sea. The team are so friendly, the food fantastic (and very healthy) and the accommodation very much in keeping with the feel of the Island - very sweet!. In addition to the writing course, there is yoga everyday, various outings and visits, we put on our very own cabaret and ran an auction to raise money to support some local activities in the town!

On top of that, there's a great beach 15 mins walk away and a lovely town full of tavernas and local restaurants. If you want a change from a traditional holiday, then do look at this, I'm not sure you can beat it!

1 Thank AndrewThornton
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“choose life at any risk”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just back from two weeks at the skyros center in skyros. The course was not clearly described on website or brochure it was far more serious that I expected but have noticed since my return that they have rectified this and they now have a full description online. The accommodation was very basic I was disappointed with the quality, A/C was ineffective, shower room poor, no cleaning done at all during my stay, I was staying in shared accommodation, I did have my own room but it was very small and the owners of the house kept their personal in the drawers and cupboards so I only had limited space for my own stuff, I did have a small balcony which I could use. The other person had a bed in the lounge with no space for her clothes so she had to keep all her clothes in her suitcase. The kitchen was in the corner of her room as was the shower room so if I needed the loo during the night I had to creep around her bed so also no way could I make a hot drink if she went to bed before I did. I did not enjoy staying in this property at all. The people on the courses were all very friendly so I did enjoy my time at the skyros center the staff were wonderful, mealtimes were very sociable and we were served some delicious meals and eating on the terrace was amazing. We had to do our own washing up but usually with no hot water so I doubt if the plates etc were ever properly cleaned. I get the feeling that Skyros spent the bare minimum which was a shame. I wouldn't use this company again but I know there were others who would definately return. I loved the ethos of the company but feel they have lost their way a bit.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank lollyallen
Ripon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best in paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just returned from week at the Centre. Recommended by colleague years ago and now single thought it a good place to have my first holiday on my own. I was not disappointed. Mostly singles, not looking for partners I may add, as a group of 13 we gelled immediately, all doing different courses but meeting up for meals and various trips organised by the Centre and of course meeting up on the beach. Balance between course work in the morning and free time onwards perfect. Staff incredible, facilitators of courses all exceptional, food just amazing and of course Skyros just heaven, heat just right, beach and sea idyllic, tavernas and town exquisite. Saving already for next year. Well done Skyros, can't wait to be back.

Visited July 2013