“Brilliant, once in a life-time experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Skyros Centre - CLOSED

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant, once in a life-time experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I have just returned from a 10-day break at the Skyros Centre where I was on the 'Life Writing' programme. This holiday had all the elements of what I was after this summer. I learnt how to write (well, a bit!), made fantastic friends, laughed a lot, cried a lot, ate wonderful food and sun-bathed on a glorious beach. Be prepared to share your emotions and open up to people you have never met before but that is the beauty of this holiday. The facilitators were great, the staff at the centre are ever-so accommodating and the setting is stunning. Thanks to everyone and I look forward to returning in the future.

2 Thank Alex77in2012

• Greek first
  • Slovak first
paris france
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Yes, it really is that good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Unfortunately, the reviews of the Skyros Centre, seem to be muddled with reviews of Skyros Town itself, which might be a little confusing!

I loved both! My husband and I just came back from the Skyros Centre , it is unusual , I think,for couples to go to Skyros together, which I think is a shame, it has the reputation of being a destination for "singles holidays"- in the best possible way, no Club 18-30 stupidity, but a safe place for people to come, meet other like-minded people and learn something!

The writing course that I was on with Shelley Weiner was fantastic, it ended up,( due to generosity and flexibility) being 15 of us, with some great group time but never losing individual attention, a group of us have decided to carry on our experience with Shelley back in London!

The "Choose Life at Any Risk " course run by Ari, I know less about,as all participants, whether you are married to them or not,have to adhere to strict privacy rules, hashed out by the participants themselves, all I know is that my husband found.. maybe not what he was expecting, but a profoundly life changing experience.

Don't be put off by the "hippy dippy" reputation, the courses themselves are fantastic and run extremely professionally by expert facilitators, but even the people who had been initially attracted by the quality of the courses and less about the "hippy" side, found themselves unable to resist the other things that go on- the bonding, the sense of belonging and the enormous sense of community that evolves extremely quickly between 30 of the smartest, well educated and lovely people that I have had the privilege of being with in the same room at the same time!

Friendships are carried home, this is all facilitated in the most elegant,competent and effortless manner by Andrew, Julian and the lovely Vasso, not to mention the two resident cats, I cannot express the effort that they put in to making sure that everybody has a good time.

Skyros itself is lovely, you WILL get used to walking up vertical hills but the beach is gorgeous and clean, and the town is small enough to be intimate while allowing for a choice of restaurants /bars etc. it's very much a Greek destination, so no drunken Brits or Germans( I'm English and spend a lot of time in Berlin-I kind of think I can say that!), you sit on the main square and watch everyone, kids from 2-18 running around and having a wonderful time, families eating together,. and..... you can go shopping until midnight - a mention for Alexandros' jewellery shop,of which all of us availed ourselves!

It is a wonderful experience and it really is an experience that everyone takes part in, I know that I/we will be back and it's something that I would recommend to anyone!

3 Thank hitchcockblonde
UK
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Alert: May make friends for life at this holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

When you go on a Skyros holiday you already know to expect something different based on the brochure and website materials. I attended the Life Choices course, and although it was different to what I expected, it was definitely not a disappointment! This holiday was about self reflection and the work we did as a group gave opportuntiy to do this is several ways: reflect on what you hear in the group and actively share with the group. The group I attended was led by excellent professionals, which is a pre-requisite for this type of holidays to succeed.

There is plenty of opportunity to do your own thing if you want to, or share lunches and dinners which are not incl in the half-board arrangement with all/ some of the group.
There are activities like comedy improv, yoga, massage and walks around the town, but again, this is all optional.

The town itself is gorgeous and there are plenty of shops, bars and restaurants, the locals come out after 9PM in the heat of the summer. If you want to you can party until the early hours, although if you are on a Skyros holiday its likely you would prefer not to wake up with a hang over. The sandy beach is a 10 minute down hill walk away, and has several tavernas and beach bars, ranging from the cool to the traditional - some with WIFI. Don't come on this holiday if you are having difficulty walking on cobbled streets and up/down hills.

The accommodation is dotted around the small village, so you really feel part of the Greek community. The 3 or so studios I saw were clean and comfortable.

Within the Skyros centre there was regular impromptu evening entertainment and a farewell party to which everyone can contribute iin their own way: poems, music, improv etc. The food served was always excellent; porridge, muesli, breads spreads, fruit for breakfast and Greek style 2 course meals for dinner.

Everything was well organised at this holiday thanks to the hardworking and committed Skyros staff. My only point of critisism was the very early departure from the island on the last day, when all were told the flights should not be booked before 3PM. Most of us spent many hours at Athens Airport before our flights back. I would recommend to book flights direct to and/or from Skyros if they are available, or book an extra night in Athens on the way back to avoid a very long day travelling.
Ending on a positive note, I made some great friends and will certainly stay in touch with several people. Those coming on this type of holiday come from all walks of professional life, parts of the world and age groups (30-75), everyone has an interesting story to tell and everyone around you is interested to hear those stories.

3 Thank AgPag
Limerick, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Words are not enough...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

An amazing opportunity to touch base with yourself and to get a chance to get a break from the hecticness of life for a while. The Life Choices course was exactly what I was looking for and needed...Thanks Ari and Jackie and course participants. Thanks to Julian, Andrew S, Natasha, Vasso and Martha for providing a home away from home, food and massage. Thanks to Andrew R for comedy improv which I didn`t attend that often I`m afraid due to the beach or siestas and Thanks to Sarah for song and dance! You are ALL truly amazing and I wish you all a good life xx Hope the cats are doing well x

1 Thank gabok
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Blown away; try it and see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Skyros Centre is special. It's a crafted blend of simple things that makes this magical experience very hard to describe. The people in the centre are genuine, caring, helpful and very, very amusing. Nothing is too much trouble; when Andrew told us that he wanted us to feel at home he meant every word. The food is great, the scenery wonderful, the peace is only broken by laughter. Friendships are forged over the days spent together and the evenings relaxing. The very special crowd I spent my own 10 days with were a significant influence on my time there and so, Im sorry, but you won't ever get the same mix; buts it's true what you read - the Skyros Centre is special. I was in the writer class and I joined all the comedy sessions too - my tutors were experienced and skilful (Shelley and Andrew) they change tutors in the programme so I can't comment about anyone else.
It's Greece so you get the greek quirks that you have to expect but thankfully very there are few mosquitoes in and around the centre and Skyros - not sure that's the case at Atsitsa a sister site that we visited one evening. Atsistsa isn't for me, I like the cosy atomsphere at the Skyros Centre, the air conditioning and ensuite showers plus Julian and Andrew greeting us every day with their cheery smiles. The food is amazing. Vassos cooks typical greek fare that is always tempting and very healthy, nobody ever mentioned feeling hungry. There are great local restaurants and the local pie shop well - just try it!
Take flat shoes as the walk to the shops, beach and guest rooms are all up and down the cobbled streets. Don't expect an ordinary holiday and try everything at least once: experiences and food.
If you want to holiday with intelligent people in a beautiful greek setting, be offered a flexible plan for 10 days in which to learn, relax, chat and party then this place is a must for you to try.

4 Thank Christine F