“okayish in mid-may 2014”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Yialis Apartments

Yialis Apartments
Ranked #49 of 88 Hotels in Skiathos
Manchester, United Kingdom
“okayish in mid-may 2014”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

we were two of only four guests staying at Yialis right at the beginning of the season. so we have no idea what the bar would be like later on in the year. The entire island was still hibernating! Our rooms were upstairs at the front and were ok. We were told that these ones (9 and 10) were the best in the place. The kitchen equipment was loony, of course, being Greece - the grill had no pan that fitted underneath it, so we had to build a platform out of saucepan lids etc and balance an oven tray in order to make toast. there was just the ONE cereal bowl. there was no work surface. there were NO chopping boards. The loo would continuously flush unless you lifted the cistern and pulled a lever. The road is, yes, loud and, yes, annoying but that's typical of lots of hotels on this tiny island. and to make up for this, the very nearby beach is GORGEOUS. Like all 60 on the island. and it is just a hop and a skip away on flat land. In fact we made cuppas in our room and had them on the beach. so I'll cut straight to advice that we CAN give:- expect prices to be just as high as those back home in Waitrose. supermarkets and restaurants are very expensive now. a 3 course meal out for two with house plonk was usually at least 50 Euros. Don't imagine you can walk anywhere along the roads. even in May the traffic was deadly and this is simply because this miniature island is an endless series of hairpin bends and blind corners, without any footpaths. it wasn't busy but was quite deadly anyway. Use the water taxi: it is great. the timetables for it are posted everywhere (beach entrances at achladies, the taxi jetty itself at achladies, and also at the utterly picturesque old harbour dock in Skiathos town). the water taxi is absolutely punctual, to the very second, all day and night. great fun and very useful. only two of achladies beach's tavernas were open, and although "Paradise" was fine, and had sea views, for our evening ouzo, we definitely rated Maniati's "Rose Garden" food and service miles higher. the cooking was simply much better, fresher, and the house wine was good. unlike the wine at Paradise (very thin, acidic, lacking in fruit). The island is simply beautiful. the beaches are all equally stunning. Otherwise, there's no history of interest whatever. if you like ruins, go elsewhere! the best tip is this:- get yourself a car for a few days. It only takes half an hour to get from Koukunaries in the west to Skiathos town in the east by car, or bus, along the one and only main road (the same one that goes by your Yalis appt!) and all the rest of the island will need a car to explore. Do not get an ordinary compact or saloon whatever you do!! pay the extra at all costs!! the road maps promise reasonable roads to Kastro, and various other sights. WARNING: they are impossibly steep/rutted/potholed/unmadeup/ and honestly you must get a jeep that has 4 wheel drive. Or you will weep. But with 4WD it's a delight and you can zoom all over. don't buy, as we did, tens of euros of petrol. when we asked for thirty euros worth, she didn't believe us and asked if we meant 13. later we understood. there are no distances on the island. and you'll spend zilch. of course, the rental people empty the tank so you get it on empty and stupidly fill it for them. We were first-timers and the island completely charmed us. it is the eye-candy to end all eye candy.

Room Tip: we saw nine and ten. they seemed okay. room 13, from the outside, appeared to be a converted pool-ho...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john s

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I'll start on the positives about Yialis Apartments: The location is great! The beautiful beach is about 5 or so minutes away, and from there you can choose from a great selection of restaurants along the beach-front. We personally loved the Maniatis Garden (a gem!) as their food was exactly what you want when you've been sunning yourself all day. We went here nearly every day and the food never got old - you can't beat Greek salad, chips, calamari and tzatsiki washed down with a pint of Mythos! There is also a small shop which sells all the necessities if you're self-catering, which was only a minute down the road.

That really was the only thing which I found to be positive.
Myself and my partner already went through a nightmare getting to the apartments due to the airline we booked with (via Olympic holidays) not having enough planes available at Gatwick... so we had to transfer from Brighton to Manchester! This meant that we didn't get to the apartments until 11pm, when we were supposed to arrive at about 4pm. When we arrived we were greeted by Nikos who had already put other people in our room... although he did quickly put us into another one.

The room was definitely basic, which was a bit of a shock to me but now that I think about it... it was only a 2 star place. We had a small bedroom/kitchen with a wet-room (shower is over the toilet). The kitchen was OK... just basic utensils, 2 rings, toaster and kettle. The bathroom definitely left something to be desired! I don't mind wet-rooms if they look clean... but the tiles on the floor looked grimy and the toilet leaked when it was flushed so it would go all over the floor. Not nice when you need to step in for a shower afterwards! The bedroom area was again, basic. We had two twin beds which we pushed together. The sheets were quite thin so we had to put a blanket under the bottom sheet for a bit more comfort. My only gripe about the bedroom was that it was a bit dusty... but nothing horrific. The balcony we had was actually quite nice... although very overlooked.

Now on to the main reason for my 'Poor' rating for this place. THE NOISE! I am quite a light sleeper (my partner is not...lucky for him!), and we were placed in a room over-looking the pool and pool/bar area. There was some music during the day, which was fine as it gave a nice atmosphere. However, it gets turned up louder at about 9pm... and due to there being 2 young couples / groups there at the time, the music kept going on until 2am... sometimes later... and this was pretty much every night! Now I am 23 and my partner 25, so I'm not an old fart and I don't expect people to go to bed at 10pm when on holiday. However, I do think that Nikos should have shown more consideration to his guests who didn't happen to be spending all their money at his bar and wanted to get a decent night's sleep! On one occasion, the music (which was euro-pop mixed with cheesy old UK hits) was extra loud and went on til 4am. I had earplugs in and I could still hear it! I was so infuriated that I had to get dressed and march over to the bar (where all the young couples were) and ask Nikos to turn the music down. This was not met with any apologies on his behalf, or the other guests. Here merely turned it down a little and then I went back to bed. The next evening, the music started up again at the same volume and still carried on to the early hours.

If you are a heavy sleeper and can cope with background noise, or you want to stay at the bar drinking until the early hours - then I guess this wouldn't be a problem for you. But if you're a light sleeper and are considering this place (I really wouldn't recommend it!) then I would ask for a room over-looking the road to avoid the noise.

All in all - the rooms and noise put a real dampener on my holiday as I was knackered pretty much every day, and Nikos did virtually nothing for you if you didn't spend all day at his bar spending your money on his food or drink. The location was brilliant so if we did go back to Achladias again, we'd definitely stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Ask for somewhere that's facing away from the pool / pool bar (i.e. facing the road).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Holly I
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed at Yiallis in September 2013 for a week.I am only adding this review now as the old reviews and photos seem to have disappeared, so wanted to give some information for anyone looking to travel in 2014.

Skiathos was amazing and we would highly recommend the Island to anyone looking for a Greek Island Escape!

We traveled with Olympic and were put in one of the bungalows next to the pool at the Yialis Apartments. The place is on the main road away from the beach but the pool is sunny and not too crowded. During our stay there was pretty much only Brits staying with a wide mix of ages, and groups. It wasn't full of kids which we liked!

The room was very basic as we expected with a hob, fridge and sink that were all in working order. The bathroom with shower was a typical Greek wet room, however ours was particularly poor, flooding the entire apartment every time it was used.

Towels were provided and were changed every couple of days but on days when they weren't changed the housekeeping staff tended to fold them up damp and put them on the bed which was disgusting.

The pool bar was quite lively at nights, particularly on Greek night where music was very loud into the early hours. We had to be up for an early start the next morning so were quite annoyed by this.

Niko the owner lives for the evenings (often appearing from the back looking hung over at around midday) and has fun with the guests at the bar most nights. We only ventured here once or twice after dinner and always paid up front for our drinks. This is to be advised as several groups we spoke to had been on a 'tab' and were presented with huge bills the morning after particularly heavy nights, not knowing if they were correct!

It seems these apartments have their 'regulars' who many complain get the better rooms. I imagine this to be true given our shady terrace and shower flooding situation.

In terms of Olympic the reps were lovely (we have booked Corfu with them this year). I won't go into too much detail on Skiathos or Achladias as I have written quite a few restaurant reviews for our stay. (We went to many of the top Trip Advisor restaurants on the Island in our week's stay and were not disappointed.) However one thing to note is that we went on the Olympic boat trip on a Catamaran for the day during our stay and it was fabulous. Not a bus on the water like a lot of the hellish Mama Mia ones! About 8 guests in total were taken around beautiful secluded bays for swimming and sunbathing with complimentary wine on board. (Lunch was at a Taverna on Skopelos which was not included).

Hope that is useful!

Room Tip: A pool view in the main block.
1 Thank Danni_Smith
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I would have marked the pool area higher than the accommodation. The pool area is lovely, well thought out, clean and the bar snacks were very good.
I expected a warm welcome after reading the other comments but instead I found a Greek guy with an I can't be bothered attitude, it's the end of the season.
The only good thing about the apartment was the size, the balcony was also very spacious. The room itself was dark, dingy and unloved. The drawers and the wardrobes were difficult to open and in need of repair and the rooms are desperate for a lick of paint. The bathroom had rusty drainage grates and there was no blind or curtains at the window despite being overlooked by another property. The sheets were very thin and the bed small for a double.
Despite the lack of tourists the bar was noisy and the music turned up far too high. In addition we seemed to be underneath the water tank which made an incredible noise any time someone turned a tap on.#We asked our rep to move after 2 nights and went to the Roulle apartments at bus stop 16. Much much better.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
4 Thank SemiRetiredCarol
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

As usual with Greek self catering, the accommodation is basic, but the room was comfortable, cleaned every day, sheets and towels changed regularly. The Yallis is an extremely friendly family run place. It also houses the fantastic Borsalino bar run brilliantly by Nikos and Koula. We spent a fantastic two week holiday here with the nearest beach only a five minute walk away. Thank you Nikos for many entertaining nights around your bar. Nikos, don't work too hard and don't smoke too much! Lots of love to you both from Sam (Samera) and Jonny.

1 Thank samshaith
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have just returned 20th september 2013 from a week at Yialis apartments and I do not know where d3mob was unless it was them making all the noise in the bar at night, because this bar did not shut until 2.30am sometimes later and the music was turned up at mid-night. In 7 nights I had 3 good nights sleep. These apartments are clean but very shabby (even for greece) the pillows needed replacing, they were stained and smelt of sweat the sheets although clean was threadbare you could see the mattress through them but they were changed once in the week, the cooker (2 rings) only one plate worked and you wasnt sure if this was on because the red light didnt work. The drinks from the bar was very weak, when I pointed this out I was given a stronger one (but you should not have to ask). The pool and the surrounding area was nice and clean and the room was mopped out and the bin emptied every day. The owners said good morning when you saw them but unless you eat and drunk in the bar they were not very forth coming with talking to you.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the road because the traffic noise could not be worst than the noise coming from...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Moppett44
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

What a wonderful week,had a fantastic week at yialis apartments and borselino bar.nikos an Kalou made us feel ver welcome.my only regret is that I didn't stay longer.home from home with glorious sunshine.see you next year

• Stayed September 2013