“Would'nt return here again!”
Review of Yialis Apartments

and 1 more site!
Yialis Apartments
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Skiathos
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Well. After reading all the fabulous reviews for the apartments i decided to stay here for one week. I do usually use trip advisor for choosing accomodation...but never again. Considering visitors have repeatedly stayed here too.
I have been to skiathos over 13 times in the last 25 years and stayed in different locations and types of accomodations. Im not fussy...just like a clean room, a clean bathroom and the basics. What a disapointment. I dont know when the rooms were last revamped but they are sure in need of one.

The fridge didnt work well.
The shower didnt work well.
Cockroaches in room.
No hot water.
The doors to the patio would'nt lock which was very unsafe as our room was facing the road...anybody could have broke in. Considering we have valuables too.
The bathroom was dirty and mouldy.
Did'nt really find Niko that helpful.
He was just happy talking to his mates while leaving us seated at the bar for ten minutes.
We asked to change rooms as we arrived...he just asked "WHY??? ITS A GOOD ROOM. They are all the same". So i just accepted this.

They make enough money out of us Brits year in and year out. Is it too much to ask for a little TLC for the accommodation and for them to realise that we spend our hard earned money for a special holiday once in a while. We all seem to accept its ' just the Greek way of life', they are laid back, and i used to believe that too; but really some of them are just lazy and in it for a good wage to see them through the winter months. I know times are hard for them but they are for us too.

Did'nt want to rant about the apartments but i just wished people were honest with there opinions.
Skiathos is just the best place in the world. Its beautiful, stunning and the place to be.
Acladies has a beautiful beach and good tavernas.

Just would'nt entertain spending £550 for a week at Yialis. Sorry :-(

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank jansi98

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have travelled world wide and stayed in basic beach huts and luxury hotels and are not given to writing reviews. We have just returned from a two week stay and feel the need to warn others of what to expect before booking. The good parts: The room we had was roomy and faced the road (an advantage over others 19-21 which faced a wall of pipes and the now infamous room 13).It had a good sized balcony.It was cleaned almost daily and sheets changed twice a week). The setting and beach are excellent as is Skiathos as a whole. The weather was perfect.The bad parts: No hot water apart from an hour in the early evening. The shower head was broken. The fridge was barely cold and food and milk kept going off. The toilet seat was unattached. The bed slats kept falling out.The electricty went off one morning at 5.00 am (I knew because of the heat). when I got up I discovered around half of the aprtments had a similar problem. I asked for the owner Nicos but was told he was in bed asleep (this was now around 9.00). So no breakfast and the food in the fridge went off (again). Eventulally when Nicos did get up at 10.30 I watched incredulously as he wandered to the electricity supply on the road in front of us and tripped the electricity back on in seconds. I did ask for the fridge to be sorted but of course nothing happened.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robert a
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Yialis apartments with my husband and 2 children 18 and 15, we had a lovely 2 weeks the apartments are very pretty and location is brilliant . We stayed in rooms 14 and 15 pool side they are fine cleaned every day and clean towels and sheets twice a week , the owners are very nice and always pleasant and friendly, Nikos who runs the Borsalino bar is really friendly wanting everyone to have fun and enjoy thereself . If I had to say anything negative it would be that the bar does go on until sometimes 5am but if you shut your windows and shutters and have air con you will be ok but if you are a light sleeper and don't fancy joining them then you could be in trouble as it will keep you awake not every night but maybe every other ! Sorry Nikos if you are reading this but unfortunatly we are not all party animals ( but you are a great guy ) . Skiathos is beautiful a bit more expensive then other Greek island but the food is lovely, in the town I would recommend 1901 restaurant , Tabepna and Hellinikon just to name a few but right on your door step from Yialis is Porta rosa (sister restaurant of 1901) and Rose Garden is great too . The Greek night at Yialis is good and they also do one at Parardise situated on the beach but be careful booking this as you are given a different limited menu and more expensive I would recommend to sit out of where all the dancing is and sit at the front of the restaurant where the menu is more variety and drinks cheaper and you can still see all what is going on but sorry not our favourite place to eat there are much nicer places. I would defiantly recommend the sailing trip we went on which was on a yacht Baruyachting S/Y Marlen it is 60 euro per person and it is great , it includes cake,biscuits for breakfast, spaghetti for lunch and fruit in the afternoon all drinks included and they are really lovely people Anna is lovely nothing is to much trouble although you may think this is a lot of money you will never forget your day with them . We also did the Mama Mia trip on the poisden boat with about 150 people you get to go to the church, skopolis and the beach it was filmed on the trip is ok I loved seeing all the sites but it was tiring waiting for everyone to get on and off the boat and it was a long hot day with not very comfy seats it was nice to get off where as our other sailing trip we didn't want to end! Just one last thing that we didn't get but would recommend as it seemed to have good saving offers in in restaurants and offers on cocktails is the coupon book it was advertised on the bus tickets and at bus stops with 20% to 30% savings in some of the restaurants and buy one cocktail get another free think you initially have to pay 10euro for book but it would defiantly be worth it . If anyone reads this and buys the book let me know where you get it from and if the offer are as good as it seemed. Happy holidays if you do go to yialis but always remember what you pay for your holiday is generally what you get but unfortunatly some people our never satisfied on the whole we were happy with what we got .

Room Tip: 14 or 15 pool side
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just back from buitiful Skiathos, we got the short straw room 13, what a pit,this is the worst room I have had the misfortune to stay in. Do not get what you pay for. Have to shower with flip flops on because of the centipedes and cockroaches. Sheets had holes in, kettle didnt work. We all know you expect basic in greece, but room 13 is worse than basic. Most nights the noise was so bad from the bar area untill at least 5 in the morning, all the guest we spoke to were not happy. I think there are some better rooms but those that return every year get these, Oh and I forgot to mention these people are the ones that party all night. Come on Nikos be fair to all get that music turned off by one . We have been to Skiathos 16 times, will go back but never to Yalis.

Room Tip: Dont stay at Yalis
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank june m
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Yialis Apartments look as if they haven't been updated in the last 35 years. I last visited Skiathos in 1982 and stayed at the San Remo hotel. It was more modern then than the Yialis Apartments are now. We knew they would be basic but didn't expect them to be quite so depressing with worn out sheets, lack of storage, broken fixtures, and uncertain supplies of warm water.

The penny-pinching was obvious. There were two glasses, two plates, two forks, etc. The worst though were the two rolls of toilet paper which, once used, was your lot for the week. The arrival greeting consisted of standing in line, picking up the key to the room and of you go. The location near the main road makes a full night sleep virtually impossible, although the owners can't be blamed for this.

To be fair, the bar area and pool are pleasant but the rooms need gutted and totally re-done. I would go back to Acladias(with its lovely beach and water taxi service to Skiathos town) but not to the Yialis Apartments. It would be worth paying extra for the nearby Brontos Hotel and I should give a special mention to the adjacent Rose Garden restaurant which provided excellent food at reasonable prices with high quality service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gerdyracer
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I have been to Skiathos before and absolutely love the island, this year we wanted to return but not at the hefty price we paid a couple of years ago! We got a great price for a weeks stay at the Yialis apartments although I knew it would be basic. We had another great value for money holiday last year in self catering apartments in Crete so I knew what to expect, or so I thought...

When we arrived I waited in anticipation to see what room we would be dealt with, from reading other reviews, were we to be lucky or unlucky. Unlucky. We were shown to the barracks (I know that's harsh but that's what they remind me of!) Right next to the pool and bar area, so I knew we were not going to have many peaceful nights sleep.

I walk inside to see a very basic, dark room that was terribly dated, not great but I can deal with that I'm only there to sleep! I walk inside the bathroom, and I don't care how much of a bargain your holiday is, surely in this day and age we are beyond showering over the toilet! I thought that was just a joke on Sex and the City when they use the washroom facilities on a train! My heart really sank. It was a hold the shower head over you in alternate hands job, we don't want you raising our water bill!

The toilet and bedroom area just looked so depressed, they felt unhappy too, uncared for, a that will do attitude towards them. If you genuinely care about your customers and want them to have a wonderful time and feel looked after and relaxed it doesn't cost the earth, intention is the most part and that wasn't there either.

Nikos' (wife?!) didn't even introduce herself when she showed us to our room which was a bit awkward and it didn't go any further than that with her. When we had a problem or needed something she'd mumble something and go and get Nikos to deal with it. Nikos, who has all the charm of a Greek Borat, just didn't get us and to be honest I didn't get his set up either, or maybe I do get his set up Greek Faulty Towers. Yeah I get the Greek cheekiness but most of the time I got the feeling it was pee taking, which I laughed at, then thought that was weird and gave him a wide birth because I just couldn't deal with the oddness of it all.

It became really clear that Nikos really liked doing his entertainment nights, as we could hear them carrying on until gone 2am in the morning (which is fine I wasn't doing a Hyacinth Bucket waking up my "RICCHHHAARRRD!" to get him to sort it out and have words). Luckily I did manage to fall asleep but then had a really interrupted nights sleep and to be honest some of the nights things were going on until waaay into the early hours. When you get a better nights sleep at home when you're working full time, getting up early for deadlines etc it's not on really is it?

I just felt this wasn't right, this isn't an 18-30s and you can clearly tell that from the cast of Benedorm that are around the pool and bar every day. When the owner/manager (I use that term loosely because not a lot seemed managed) of the accommodation is more into get peed up with the clientele it's just not good. Nikos has two young teenage boys and a business to uphold. He was setting a rubbish example. On our last day we were up early to indulge in a lovely cooked breakfast (that I had seen Nikos bring out one morning to a guest and smelt amazing). We put in our orders with his young son at the bar, at first I thought, oh great that's good for him gaining some experience, helping out etc. Until I realise that not a lot of movement is happening and our orders aren't actually going anywhere to be made. About half an our later we see this young boy go to where I think the families accommodation is and a couple of minutes later his dad slips out, sunglasses on shakily walking towards the bar. I thought he was going to be sick on someones head he looked that fragile! I couldn't believe it, are you kidding me? Your son is up manning the bar because you can't be bothered to get up and do your job because you were partying away with your guests...again. Nikos then goes around everyone checking their order!? When I overhear the other guests state that they have to go now I walk over to Nikos and say "We ordered food but we have to go now so we'll have to cancel that" He replies "It takes a long time to make food! Especially when you only get in at 7.30!" WOW, I thought, I'm absolutely amazed you said that but thanks, that'll be going straight on tripadvisor as you care that little! After that we were greeted with a pleasant grunt as we handed in our keys.

Skiathos is amazing, I will always love it, it holds so many amazing memories for me but after you've had a lovely day at the beach or a really fun night out in the town why should your heart sink when you think of what you're going back to? If people don't care on keeping up standards, working towards the best for themselves and for others then I'm not interested. To be honest I don't even accept "it's the Greek way" anymore, people have been holidaying there since the 60s, if you can't update a shed for want of a better word than barrack, with a fresh lick of white paint every season, some more utensils for the "kitchen" and put some investment in a simple white shower cubicle then you don't care, you can't do. The economic crisis isn't even an excuse because it hasn't affected Skiathos anyway.

There looked like there were much better places to stay nearby that wouldn't have cost the earth, Hotel Brontos(?) looked lovely as we ate at their Rose Garden Restaurant a few times, got prices for next year and had a nose round one of their lovely rooms! That'd be my best tip for anyone who would want to stay in Achladies which is in such an ideal location to the beach and for the boat taxis!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Love4Skiathos
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful week at the Yalis (wish we had booked for a fortnight). Nikos and Koula do their best to make your stay enjoyable. All the family are lovely people and we miss them already. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, catering things are a bit basic too, but I am sure if you just ask they will sort you something out. Ideal spot for beach, supermarket, couple of tavernas & bus stops. You can also get a water taxis from the beach into Skiathos Town were you can get some lovely meals and a cold beer by the harbour where you can watch the world go by in the beautiful sunshine. Thanks again to Nikos, Koula & family for a lovely time, sure we will be back again at some point. P & J. Say hello to Angelo for us.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple