“A must go”

Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Orloff has been in Spetses since I can recall. It always had a reputation for offering tasty dishes. I find new or improved dishes every time I visit. Location is great but due to its limited outdoor area and many customers it can be a bit cramped. Book early during high season (mid July to end of August).

There are newer reviews for Orloff

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I took my mother out to this restaurant for her birthday, which I mentioned to the staff when making a reservation. They have a funny way of accommodating a special occasion.

We were seated promptly and given menus. The start to the meal was OK. Nothing spectacular, but nothing offensive. We had a salad completely drenched in dressing, but the flavor was fine. Also, the fava appetizer was good and the house wine was light and smooth.

However, things quickly went downhill from there. Each of our main dishes were truly disgusting. I don't use that word lightly. My husband's pork chop was thin, without flavor, and the texture was chewy and grainy. My grilled shrimp was undercooked and mushy. My mom's orzo risotto with seafood was mushy as well. The risotto tasted as if it had been sitting in a pot for a week. The meat and seafood all seemed like they were very quickly defrosted, because the texture and flavor was off.

When I sent my shrimp back for them to cook a bit more, I got my plate back around 25 minutes later without any apology. They could have cared less about us and barely gave us any attention at all. When they came to take the plates, they saw that none of us ate our food and again, showed us that they could care less about our experience.

I should have spoken to the owner/manager, but I didn't want to add to the tension and disappointment for my mother's sake. We wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. We asked for our check and for them to order a cab to our hotel.

It gets WORSE. Whoever ordered our taxi told them we were going to Dapia, when we actually said we were going to our hotel Xenon, which is a long, high hike from town. The taxi driver refused to take us there because he had another appointment, and abandoned us in the rain in Dapia.

I called the restaurant to tell them what happened, and they showed absolutely no concern. The waiter I spoke to was quite nonchalant, and in a disrespectful tone, challenged us to come talk to the manager. I asked him if I should walk a mile in the rain in order to do so! He did not offer to help us at all with finding a cap on a Saturday night, which is difficult with so many weddings going on.

Thankfully, Alex from the wonderful Xenon Estate saved us and found a taxi for us after we were not able to for a half and hour.

I am still very very sad that my mother's celebration dinner turned out so sour.

It would be in the owners best interest to pay more attention to the service and the quality of his food. I'm sure other people may have had a better experience, but consistency is important for the reputation of a restaurant.

4  Thank eviemichael
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great restaurant albeit a bit expensive. Beautiful setting. Waiter was fantastic and reccomended great greek wines as well as fresh fish - and told us to stop (rightfully so!) when he felt we ordered too much food :-)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

our hotel recommended this restaurant on the first night of our stay. tiny tables; very average food and disinterested service
Fortunately we discovered the wonderful Liotrivi restaurant the following day !

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Pedestrian menu with food quality which left much to be desired. The fish tasted like it was not fresh which had been frozen and was tasteless. The salad was drenched with a lemon dressing that left it swimming in the dressing. Not a lot of love here. Waiting staff had rough edges and the place had the feel of a restaurant that had seen too many tourists and had been spoilt by its location. Listening to the owners sales pitch at a table next to ours was farcical in hindsight as he extolled the provenance and best quality of his individual dishes. Unfortunately the sales pitch did nothing to save the mediocre food. Regrettably it was a 5 star hotel on the island which recommended. Avoid.