“Unreserved recommendation”
Review of Phaedra Hotel

Phaedra Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Hydra
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We enjoyed a 5 night stay in the Phaedra hotel at the end of May.
Hydra's a beautiful island, which offers a unique taste of Greek island life, and the Phaedra hotel offers a relaxing base from which to enjoy it. Hilda, was a charming & hospitable host, and made excellent recommendations of which local restaurants to visit. Nothing was too much trouble for her. It's a small intimate hotel that we'd love to return to in the future.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 23, 2009

We want to come back!!! We LOVED Hilda. She was beyond gracious as a caretaker and guide to Hydra. The hotel is a Grecian dream and the Artemis and Athena Suite was impeccable! Clean, beautiful, comfortable and an amazing rooftop patio made the experience phenomenal.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We decided, at very short notice, to take a week's break on Hydra to escape Yorkshire Pennine rain. Hilda was enormously helpful in booking our Flying Dolphin tickets and would have arranged an Athens hotel and a taxi to Piraeus if we had not already had a regular Palio Faliron Hotel and tame taxi driver (! ) - Vassilis Restaurant, just off Posidonas, to be very much recommended. The hotel was spotlessly clean and beautifully restored to reflect the islands heritage with large, spacious and immaculately presented rooms. Hilda and her staff could not do too much for us and created a “home from home”. Hilda has a marvellous hotel of engaging ambience. When we return to Hydra, please note the use of the word “when”, we shall undoubtedly stay with Hilda at the Phaedra Hotel. Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I have been employed asa Flight Attendant for a large American airline for 25 years and this hotel is definately one of my favorites. I have stayed on Hydra and Aegina islands before and never at a hotel with a host as gracious as Hilda. Hilda runs the Phaedra Hotel with such charm and grace you truely feel special and welcome. The hotel is not large but has everything you need. Comfortable beds, fine linens, impeccably clean rooms that are beautifully appointed. Hilda serves a delicious homemade breakfast in the dining area for all guest.
I can not wait to return with my husband and children.
This hotel enhanced the beauty of an already amazing island.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2009

It was on a complete whim that my girlfriends & I decided to make a quick trip to Greece. Even more spontaneous, was the decision to ferry to Hydra. These decisions & the "luck" of finding the Phaedra Hotel, we all agree, were the highlight of our stay.
On entering the Phaedra Hotel, one can feel the genuine warmth it exhudes and see the attention to detail at every turn. Meet Hilda & immediately you know you have entered a special place. We arrived slightly abrupt (not fitting at all, on the relaxing island of Hydra) but, I had either lost or had my wallet stolen along the way and was feeling a bit distressed. Hilda went "above & beyond" to help with my situation. She began by calling the ferry & translating between us, back & forth. Without getting much response, she decided she would walk me back to the ferry to handle the situation in person (This is the "norm" at the Phaedra, Hilda often met us us or guided us on foot ). I felt truly blessed to be in her knowledgable, hands as she inquired & questioned the situation in Greek . We never did find my wallet, but somehow, I felt at ease & was able to relax. Knowing I had my caring friends & Hilda's kindness was priceless. Even the use of her laptop was offered ,so, that I could email the necessary info. to my home & bank. As for the Hotel; the comfortable rooms were lovely, the simple breakfast tastey & satisfying & the meal suggestions were delicious. But mostly, I believe, it is a true & honest feeling of "hospitality" and a special certain "angel" that you will find at the Phaedra that will have you already longing for your return. I can't wait to return to the beautiful, Hydra & the Phaedra Hotel will be at the top of my list.

Thanks Hilda.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I have a slightly different take on this hotel, which strictly speaking, is not a true hotel but a bed & breakfast type of accommodation. I have been there last August for a long weekend together with my fiancee. The room was relatively clean but extremely noisy during the night as it was right on the street. It was almost impossible to sleep. I also found the price very high for this type of accommodation. Next time I visit Hydra, I will look around for something better, since there are so many hotels around.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bonsmith
Reviewed November 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two nights in October. It was our first time in Hydra and we were very happy with our pick.

The hotel is very clean and our room (the Phaedra Room) was spacious. Hydra is a small island but nonetheless the hotel is in a great location, only a few minutes walk to the main port. Hilda, the owner, was also very friendly and gave us some great suggestions re walks on the island and restaurant recommendations.

Breakfast the next day was basic but adequate - gorgeous Greek yoghurt & honey, breads, biscuits, and cheeses. We were also provided with a bowl of fresh fruit in our room.

All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Frqnt-trvller