“Best place to stay in Hydra”
Review of Phaedra Hotel

Phaedra Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Hydra
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at the Phaedra Hotel twice, once in October of 2010 and just recently in March 2013. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable, and extremely well maintained. Breakfast is amazing; we are still missing the thick, creamy yogurt and the delicious cakes and pastries. Hilda is a gem. We appreciated all her help and suggestions. We love Hydra and the Phaedra Hotel and will return. I can't imagine staying anywhere other than the Phaedra Hotel. Hilda makes it feel like a home away from home.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pgthompson1

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed two weeks in Phaedra Hotel. The room was beautiful and spacious and immaculately kept. Hilda the hotel owner is a lovely friendly person who really added to our stay with helpful tips and AMAZING cakes! We can't wait to go back. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Clodieann
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Yes, chose Hotel Phaedra after the many rave reviews on tripadvisor for my recent weekend visit. Have visited Greece many times over the years -- Athens, the mainland and several islands -- so after a month in noisy Athens this winter, I was ready for a break on a little island whose most appealing feature is no motorized traffic. And indeed, the line of waiting donkeys that awaited our arrival on the Flying Dolphin from the city made me laugh out loud.

Even after dark, Hilda's directions to the Phaedra were easy to follow -- a 5 to 7 minute walk straight walk up from the port. While Hilda herself was attending to family business, her lovely friend ("volunteer assistant-manager," as I called her) Marie was waiting for me, and after a quick and informatively chatty check-in and an offer of a cup of something hot to warm me up, showed me to "Antigone" -- a spacious ground-floor double with lovely bath (OK, shower on the small side but fine for me). Best of all, on a cool, drizzly night (Athens that day had experienced its worst rains and flooding in 50 years), Marie had the heat was blasting out.

Everything was immaculate, and the little hidden kitchenette I definitely would have used on a longer stay but this time only for making the occasional cup of tea. Tons of closet and drawer space (you don't always get this in larger hotels), nice toiletries, plentiful hot water, reliable internet connection, a few English news channels on the flat-screen, a warm, comfy bed and a hostess anxious that everything was pleasing and as it should be -- I've encountered less in 5-stars.

Beds (at least mine) definitely on the firm side. I like that but appreciate that others don't. And breakfast was all that previous reviewers said it was. Don't expect bacon & eggs (that's not Europe) but more fruit, breads, yogurt and honey, cheese, etc. than I could ever eat.

I like the review that described the Phaedra as a "quaint and elegant B&B" because for those who aren't familiar with the many different styles of accommodations you'll find in Europe -- this sums it up nicely for this kind of "hotel" or what used to often be called a "pensione" in many southern European countries before that started to imply "down-market". If you want the pool, gym, concierge, etc., look for something with at least 50 rooms.

With just 6 rooms, you won't find that at a place like the Phaedre. What you will find instead -- if you're lucky (and carefully read tripadvisor reviews) is a warm welcome, pride in ownership, and a sincere interest in making the guest feel comfortable, safe and happy.

Room Tip: The Phaedre is a little ways from the port so no real views of sea or landscapes -- even in the top...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SolaGo
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This reminds me of a quaint and elegant B&B with real service, like I used to see in American resort towns in the 1980s. Hilda was absolutely wonderful, tending to our every need, making fantastic breakfast and above all else - going the extra mile on a brief story I have to share: We had gone to Athens for a week, with this trip to Hydra in the middle for 2 nights. Hilda had told us she planned to go to Athens and would leave us in the hands of a colleague for our last night there. After enjoying a beautiful day and evening, we returned to the hotel, where her colleague explained that a general union strike and demonstration was going to begin the next morning and almost all transportation would be crippled or shut down! Our scheduled ferry would not run!! She advised us how to change our ferry tickets (to catch the last possble boat back to the mainland), gave us a friend's taxi number and even packed us a lunch! We felt so cared for and it really made all the difference in the world. As for the hotel itself, SO clean and beautiful, perfectly located on the island, and if (when) we return, we will most *definitely* plan to stay here again. If I could give 6+ stars, i would. Highly recommended in every possible way.

Room Tip: Ask Hilda before booking as the rooms vary a bit. All are very nice, and because the hotel was enti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AGEinPrague
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We recently spent several days at the Phaedra Hotel in Hydra. The owner, Hilda, couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful, and the overall experience was wonderful. There are no motor vehicles in Hydra, and hotel is an easy walk from the harbor. However, the streets in Hydra are bumpy, and although you can certainly pull your luggage over the cobblestones, most luggage wheels aren't really made for that, and I advise that you contact Hilda in advance of your arrival to schedule some assistance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveler0313
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed 4 days at Phaedra. Our room was spacious and comfortable -- just as shown on the hotel web site. Hilda, our wonderful hostess, took good care of us, answered all our questions, and offered advice about restaurants, walking routes, and sights to see. We loved the little kitchenette, and we made ice in the fridge (I really miss ice in Europe, so this was a rare treat). Even though it was October, the weather was great. We sat on the lovely roof-top terrace every day and soaked up the scenery and the sun. The best part of our stay was waking up to the clop-clop of donkey hooves instead of the roar of motors.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Olivia P
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Spent a very calm 4 days in Phaedra, which was wonderful. Had a huge room with a very comfortable bed, great internet, great location. The hotel is a very short walk from the water, no donkey or pony required to get there. Hilda is a wonderful friendly host and was very helpful with suggestions and discussing the history of the island. The breakfast was great, and I could never finish the amount of food every morning, and the sun terrace is a great place to sit and read in the sun and in the quietness.

I would absolutely stay again if I ever make it back to Hydra!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Elektra room, which was huge and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business