“excellent”
Review of Lakonia Hotel

Lakonia Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sparta
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Thanasi, the owner of the hotel, is a gracious, kind host. The hotel is comfortable and clean and very reasonably priced. Very centrally located. 15 minutes by car to Mystras. Close walking distance to the main square where there are two excellent mezothopolia. Ask Thanasi for directions.

Room Tip: ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 26, 2012

A well maintained hotel with helpful staff in central Sparta, about 10-minutes walk from the KTEL bus station.

Paid €40 for a single en-suite room which was clean and well maintained, had a balcony overlooking the main street. Bed was creaky but otherwise had a decent sleep. Wifi available throughout the hotel although I found it to be unreliable.

If you're staying in Sparta for a few days on a budget this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Opt for a room at the back of the hotel if offered the choice to get a quieter night away from the m...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2012

After scouring the web for budget accommodation in Sparta, Lakonia Hotel was the cheapest place I could find being 40 Euros for a single room, breakfast included (or 35 Euros without). I stayed 2 nights and in the end felt like my money should have been spent somewhere else.

The location was perfect. Right in the centre of Sparta with loads of restaurants, cafes and a supermarket within a one minute vicinity, however unfortunately my room was tiny with a single bed, desk, street-side balcony, incredibly small TV, minibar and en-suite bathroom. There was A/C as well but it was a simply a vent in the wall; the temperature was controlled by the front desk and you could either turn it on or off. At Night I was boiling and during the day even when my switch was turned on, no cool air came out. The bathroom was clean but the shower was terrible. It was practically a single, heavy stream of water with zero pressure and the soap holder and curtain railing were practically falling out of the wall unable to hold even my shampoo bottle. There was wifi throughout the entire hotel that worked perfectly on the ground and first floors but on the second (which I was on), it would only connect for a second then not work for the next hour or so. It was extremely frustrating.

After my first night in the squeakiest bed I've ever experienced, I went down to check out the breakfast. There were cold meats, bread, some scrambled eggs and bacon. Not that bad but to save 5 Euros I headed over to the supermarket and loaded my minibar with breakfast goods. As for the service, I found it to be quite mixed. The one guy who checked me in was fantastic; really friendly and a great help with all my questions about the area and bus times, but the guy who took over that night and was there when I checked out wasn't the friendliest of people. I asked for directions to the supermarket and he simply pointed down the street. I felt like I was immensely bothering him if I asked a question.

Overall I didn't really enjoy my time at Lakonia Hotel. Despite the awesome location and being the cheapest hotel I could find, I didn't think it was even nearly worth it for 35 Euros. Personally if head back to Sparta I would be happy to pay a little extra for a different hotel if it meant better value. Hope this helps and good luck.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JaimeTravels
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We where lucky to be in this Hotel at a busy time of the year. Availability was slim it they found room for us anyway. The staff was courteous and the room clean and smelled great. The fact that we could walk everywhere from the door steps of the Hotel was a plus.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2012

For only 40 euros a night (single) this hotel was comfortable, clean, quiet and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Although on one of the main streets in Sparta, I was not disturbed by any noise (Sparta is a fairly small town). The breakfast was the same as any other breakfast I've had in a Greek hotel. There were no tea/coffee facilities in my room, but other than that the facilities were good. Definitely value for money and if I was ever in Sparta again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Spotlessly clean hotel in the center of town. A little worn around the edges in places (hall carpet, some dings in the hallways) and the rooms are not big. So this is a budget hotel, no big deal. But the good things are the very clean rooms, nice bathrooms, and friendly staff. The wireless in the room was spotty but the front desk gave me a loooooong ethernet cable that made the internet faster and nearly as convenient as wi-fi since it was long enough to sit on the bed and type this review. Since the hotel is in the center of town, there are many choices of restaurants (the staff made an excellent suggestion) within a few minutes walk. Sparti is not as noisy as many other cities and the street noise goes way down after 10pm (I write this on a Sunday so it may be different on other days). I would recommend this hotel for those who are looking for a good budget value and are not put off by the little stuff.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The hotel is located on the main street and centrally located in Sparta. The hotel is clean and pleasently furnished. Internet access in the lobby only and not in the rooms, as I was forced to hang out in the lobby to check emails. The family run hotel is plesent in appearance, but let me advise you, the owner is rude, childish, and abrupt. We negoiated a rate with his wife, and he was upset, and thereafter blasted his wife by calling her "stupid" several times, and then behaved like a pouting little boy. I can't describe it, as I have never seen an adult act in such a manner (all over a 5 euro difference). I wouldn't stay here, as neither my wife or I felt welcome, but as intruders. I suggest the owner get counseling.

Room Tip: There are several hotels within a block, so you have several choices.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shane p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparta
Hotel Dioscouri
Ilaeira Mountain Resort
Hotel Fotini
Hotel Fotini
#13 of 21 in Kalamata

Been to Lakonia Hotel? Share your experiences!