“Clean and spartan in Sparta”
Review of Hotel Sparta Inn

and 1 more site!
Hotel Sparta Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Sparta
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I read the reviews before reserving this hotel, and they are all still accurate. This is a place that has had better days. It still smells of smoke in the halls, but not in the room we had. The balcony overlooked the street with the supermarket, but there were no chairs out there. There was road work going on, so it was dusty anyway. The bed was very hard. The shower and all the bathroom is in need of updating very badly, but everything worked, with hot water. Towels are thin. This is certainly a 2 star and not anything better. Breakfast was lonely in a huge dining room with just the 2 of us, overlooking an empty swimming pool. Perhaps in July they fill it, but for now, it's a sad place.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at a Hotel Sparta Inn after comparing rooms with another 2 star hotel at the same price. The rooms are large, the temperature control worked well - we stayed in winter and the air con was able to be adjusted to our liking. The bed was firm but comfortable and the room although old, dated, and a bit frayed was clean, extremely quiet and dark at night. Very good value for the price we paid. The hotel is located very centrally and has good access to a great supermarket across the road, within walking distance of bus station and plentiful cafés and eateries. We even had a glimpse of snow capped mountains from our balcony, although too cold and wet to sit out on.
Staff extremely helpful and had very good English.

Room Tip: Some rooms have strange burnt smell due to hot water heating below - so we were told.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schloggs04
Reviewed September 4, 2013

During my latest visit to Greece this past July/August 2013, I decided to stay at the Sparta Inn for a period of one week, and was very happy with my choice of accommodation.

Although travelling on my own, I was set up in a simple yet spacious room with two single beds, a veranda overlooking the main street of Thermopylon, television, phone, air-conditioning (which is a definite necessity while staying in town during the hot summer months), safe and mini fridge. Albeit the decor was quite basic and a little out-dated (as pointed out in several of the Trip Advisor reviews), I wouldn't expect more from this quaint town which doesn't change much as the years go by - in fact I think it just adds to the town's charm. Overall, I was also quite satisfied for the price I paid for my accommodations - I must say that the hotel is fairly priced.

The hotel is also centrally located, which is great for getting around the town without a vehicle, as everything is within walking distance, including the Archaeological Museum of Sparta, the Ancient Ruins of Sparta, the Statue of Leonidas, as well as the more recent Museum of the Olive and Greek Olive Oil (which was celebrating its 10 year anniversary this summer). There are several restaurants, coffee shops, and bars close by, and more importantly there is a supermarket across the street on Thermopylon which is a great place to stock up on water and any other necessities! Additionally, for those taking the 3 hour bus ride in from Athens as I did, the KTEL bus station is also within walking distance. For those travelling by vehicle, there is plenty of parking on the surrounding streets, and the town is a short drive away from the more popular tourist destinations of Monemvasia, Gythio (great beach area), Mystras and Elafonisos.

Besides the good value and great location of the hotel, what I liked most about the Sparta Inn was its hospitable feel, as all of its staff were very courteous, knowledgeable and helpful, and made me feel very much at home. Although I am of Greek decent and speak the language, I found all of the staff to be quite fluent in English which is not always the case in some of the smaller, less touristy towns of the country. I also appreciated the 24-hour reception desk, which is a rarity in some parts of Greece where the hotel staff go home at 11pm, only leaving you with an emergency number to contact and that's only if they answer (for those who have travelled to Greece before, you know exactly what I am talking about).

I must say that although the Sparta Inn may not be what is considered a 5-star hotel by North American standards, it receives my 5 stars for its 5-star treatment, location and value! I would definitely recommend it to anyone travelling to and/or passing through Sparta, and I definitely look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Athena20132013
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The hotel is in a central point of the beautiful city of Sparta near all conveniences but itself is in desperate need of innovation because it is too much 80's. The good points: location, beds(if you are keen with tough ones), breakfast for it's category(it's only 2 stars hotel), the bad points: climatisation(cold in wintertime), smell.
All in all i believe that Sparta and the region offers much better options to stay...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank elladiths
Reviewed November 23, 2011

we were booked in by a greek travel agent and when we arrived we were shocked by the rooms. we went back down and asked for a refund and were told the travel agents (academy travel) would have to give it to us.it is so old and beds looked bad.

we got our bags and went around the corner on the main street to the melanoiun hotel and it
was 5 star australian and cost around 5 euro more . unbelievable

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank anet w
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed in Sparta Inn during our travel in greece. We stayed in Sparta inn because we wanted to be close to the town centre and not far from the attractions.

Located right in the centre of town, this hotel is amazing value for money. The rooms are large with balconies looking onto the street. It is a business hotel which has a lot of conferences.

The buffet breakfast was the highlight.. they had a huge spread of breakfast.

It is very close to all the lively night spots and the beauful coffee shops of Sparta. There are plenty of hotels around the hotel.

We were stuck in Sparta for about three days without petrol because of the Truck drivers strike last year. The hotel staff were very helpful to in pointing us to the right petrol station to get petrol. They kept giving us updates on the strike.

There is a lot of parking space outside and the side roads of the hotel. Parking was never a problem.

I really cherish my stay in Sparta Inn. For the amount we paid, it was definitely worth it..

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andrew_netlas
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Maybe good in the 50's but nothing was changed since then!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple