“the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Diethnes
Ranked #20 of 37 Restaurants in Sparta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Brooklyn, New York
“the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I go to Greece every year and make a point to go to Diethenes even if it is out of our way. The best oven food in Greece. We order too much because we want to try everything!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John_M60827

• Greek first
Sparta, Greece
“perfect quick taverna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

The counter at the back shows the dozen or so specialties of the day, and these are quickly served up and brought out. I had a fine piece of pork with lemony oven potatoes; other members of my group had some excellent meatballs with lemon-egg sauce and fries, one of three different kinds of patty, a vege dish like ratatouille, and some cutlets. Friendly staff, unexciting interior, good map of Greece from the 80s.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Christopher M
New York City, New York
“not what we asked for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

This was the only restaurant recommended in my Frommer's guidebook, so we decided to give it a try. The restaurant is cute and the owner/waiter was very nice, but the food was not very good and we didn't get what we asked for. My daughter ordered bean soup and got veal with vegetables. She sent it back and ordered vegetable soup instead (they were apparently out of bean soup) and she got fish soup with vegetables which was just not good. I ordered cannelloni and got chicken with onions and potatoes which was decent, but a far cry from what I asked for. We pointed to the menu when we ordered and it was in Greek and English so it wasn't that our waiter misunderstood, it was that they just didn't appear to have what we were asking for. There are other restaurants in the area that are very good, so I wouldn't waste your time with this one, especially if you'd like to actually choose what they serve you.

Visited December 2013
Mazzè, Piemonte, Italy
“Limited Options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

There are not many options in this tiny town. Food will be the same just about everywhere. The owner does not speak much English but (very touristy of me) I had a Greek salad that was a little bland but my husband enjoy his mousakka. Super cheap. Good enough.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank team_m2012
Rookhope
“Home from home!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We dined here three times in May 2012! Excellent value, caters for vegetarians, Greek food as it always has been, delivered by the owners who remembered and welcomed us as old friends after the first visit. Street dining a little challenging (you're sitting on the main road under trees) but all round a very good, enjoyable restaurant.

Visited May 2012