“Helpful owner but the hotel needs to be modernised.”
Review of Athina Hotel

Athina Hotel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Olympia
Athens, Greece
“Helpful owner but the hotel needs to be modernised.”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The location of the hotel is one of the advantages.You can reach Olympia in about 15 minutes by car, while at the same time the town Krestena is within walking distance in case you want to get an idea of local life.As for the hotel, the owner really did his best to make us feel at home but there is still a lot to be done...The decoration is old-fashioned and the rooms a bit cramped.The price of the rooms -about 40 euros- was moderate and consistent with what we were offered, though.There is a swimming pool and a breakfast of mediocre quality is offered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed May 4, 2011

who reduced our rate (quoted 90 euros for a room for 3 adults on booking, reduced to 80, including breakfast). We cannot fault the owner who was helpful and ever-present but the room was tired, dusty, smelled of mould. Pool looked clean and inviting (too cold to try!) and wi-fi fine, plentiful hot water....breakfast very limited indeed. Seems to be used mostly by groups touring, possibly as a cheaper alternative to Olympia (15 minutes away by car). Loved his dog!!! A rare Greek Sheepdog standing 2 metres high on his hind legs!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Olympia hotels

Rickmansworth
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed at the Athina for one night with a group of 37 teenagers.

In general, we had a pleasant experience staying at this hotel, which is situated in quite a charming little village near Olympia. Orange trees grow all around and chickens are kept by many people in their back gardens. This is very much the countryside!

Rooms are distributed between the main building and a separate annexe on the other side of the swimming pool. Most of our party were in this annexe. Rooms were fine, although my bathroom wasn't entirely as clean as I would have liked. I think I would have slept quite well but for the loud barking dog who lives next door. We woke up to find that there was no hot water whatsoever, but this was quickly attended to by the owner.

We were well fed - no complaints about the food. Breakfast was a little basic, but perfectly adequate. No hot option, mind you. The lobby/bar area is quite a pleasant little space with a tv and sofas. Staff were friendly and helpful. If you're needing to store items securely (e.g. 37 passports and a wodge of cash), bear in mind there is no hotel safe, nor safes in the rooms. It was alright for one night, but as party leader, I would have been nervous about leaving said items in the hotel while we were out.

Overall, a good base for exploring Olympia without having to be in the centre of town.

• Stayed April 2011
Komotini, Greece
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I stayed here summer of 09 and most likely will be staying here again summer '10. I really prefer Krestena to Olympia as a town, and although you will need a car if you choose to stay here, Olympia is quite close and this should be considered as an alternative to staying in the tourist-trap town of Olympia (the town itself has some good points but it's being choked by tourist infrastructure). The site of Olympia and the associated museums need a whole day so it makes sense to spend a night either before or after (or both) in the area. Krestena is a pleasant small town (not as picturesque as Karytaina, Andritsaina, Stemnitsa, Lagkadia, etc., but still pleasant) with a quiet square with several restaurants.

This hotel is outside the town but in walking distance to it. We stayed in the hotel and walked into the town for dinner. It was a good choice for us, we appreciated the swimming pool, the breakfast was good, the owners were friendly.

The only drawback to this hotel was the air conditioning. The owner wouldn't believe me that it didn't work, and I had to beg him for help. It turned out that the circuit breaker for the AC was off, and I felt like I was treated somewhat badly in being told that "it does work!!" and ignored, because actually, it didn't. Even after they fixed that, though, it never cooled the room down adequately. It was one of the hottest days of the year and I had almost passed out at Ancient Messene a few hours earlier from the heat, and I was still very nauseated and dizzy from it (I am extra sensitive to it), and I was so miserable from the heat that it made it hard to enjoy my stay; a really good AC would have fixed that.

I will be staying there again this summer and I'm just crossing my fingers that it's not during a heat wave, or that they give me a room with good AC.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Philidelphia, PA
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I just recently returned from a trip to Greece just 5 days ago. During my trip I spent two nights at the Athina Hotel. Overall I found the hotel to be very charming. The owners were very sweet and always extreamly welcoming. The swimming pool was nice and the food was good. The actual hotel rooms were "soso". The beds were comfortable but the air conditioning did not work very well. Also the bathroom was definatly your "typical" European bathroom, very small with little to almost no space to shower. Other than the few flaws with the room, the balconey had a beautiful view of the street below and the surrounding area was gorgeous. It was nice waking up in the morning hearing the sounds of roosters, and knowing that I was in the countryside away from all of the traffic and chaos of the cities. The hotel was also not too far from Olympia and other attractions which made it very easy for site seeing. Overall the hotel was very charming, the service was wonderful: my stay was very pleasant. I would definatly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to expirience a true European hotel, and see the real Greek countryside.

• Liked — The service, swimming pool, view from balcony, and surrounding areas
  • Disliked — bathroom size and air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank luvbug75
Agka, owner at Athina Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
Dear visitor,

thank you a lot for your flattering words and for staying in Hotel Athina.
The dimensions of the bathrooms are defined by the law and are the suitable and proper for a tree star hotel. I dont think that other 3 star hotels have larger.
At the evening you can also enjoy the songs of the nightingales(birds)

Best regards fro Athina Hotel
paris
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We chose to stay at the Athina rather than in Olympia itself during a visit to the Olympia ruins. I'm not sure it was the right choice. First of all, Olympia is not that bad as Greek tourist towns go. Sure, it's 100% built for tourists but it's better done than other archeological tourist towns such as Delphi or Mycene with tree-shaded pedestrian zones. And the Athina just isn't that nice. The rooms are spartan, it wasn't super clean (well, my wife said it wasn't, I didn't see the problem), the bathroom rickety, the breakfast was minimal. We paid 70 euros for our room. We had much better value elsewhere in Greece. We'd decided to take the Athina because we thought it would be quieter, but any hope of a good night sleep was ruined by country dogs that barked all night. I'd advice just biting the bullet and staying in Olympia and getting to the site early. The only point of staying around here is to see the ruins, so any search for charm or for the ``the true Greece'' is pointless. On the plus side, the owner of the hotel is very friendly. I'd reserved ahead because I incorrectly thought that finding a room would be a problem. It may be different around easter or in mid-summer but when we went (late May) there was no problem finding rooms anywhere in the Peleponnese.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — spartan rooms, price, barking dogs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Agka, owner at Athina Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
Dear visitor,

First of all, excuse me but I think that the word "ruins" is not the most suitable to describe the archeologic site, the ancient stadium and the museum of ancient Olympia.
I also would like to thank you for your describing-characterizing us as "kind" ,we try to do our best and have our visitors satisfied and happy.
We apologise for "not having a good night sleep that was ruined by country dogs". We estimate that it was an unlucky ang single incident because we have not traced noisy dogs near the hotel. On the contrary the hotel is normally quiet. The hotel is situated in the countryside you can enjoy the sound of the birds. Off course a dog might pass by but we are not in the jungle.
All the bathrooms have been renovated recently (about 2006). We wonder what exactly was the problem with the bathroom ? I am afraid that you dont specify it.
Furthermore you are not specific about what was the problem about the cleanness. The rooms are cleaned daily and the bathrooms sterilized by trained personnel.
The breakfast we serve is buffet breakfast and we offer a 3 star hotel breakfast (yogurt , corn flakes ,cheese, ham, bread, butter marmalade, cake, coffee, tea milk, orange juice and some times sweets, eggs etc).Off course the is no limitation on quantity.
Last I would like to mention that in the price of the rooms is included buffet breakfast, free parking, free fast wifi internet and use of the swimming pool.

Best regards
Zois
Pavia
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We passed two quiet nights in this Hotel near Olympia. Nice & warm atmospere, gentle personel bun not something exceptional. Comfortable, Parking, pool, airconditioned &interesting buffet. Recomended fof families Or couples.

Z & Α

• Liked — The staff (or stuff) , the service, reception
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RicPania