“Very well located, very helpful.”
Review of Hotel Pelops

Hotel Pelops
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Olympia
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Small, clean and comfortable hotel. Nice room with a balcony. Good value. Very well located. We were also surprised with Olympia - a very pleasant tourist town. And the hotel has a lift! Hosts Suzanne and Theodore were charming and very helpful. They directed us to the Hotel Europa for dinner, which was also very good.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank 356xyz

Reviewed May 27, 2013

In over 40 years of traveling, I have stayed at everything from Youth Hostels to Five-Star Four Season Hotels. My first visit to Ancient Olympia was in 1997 and I have been back on several occasions. This past April I visited once again with my wife and adult daughter, and we were lucky enough to stay at the Hotel Pelops for the first time. Everything about our experience there was excellent: the quality of the rooms, the service and friendliness of the staff, the food (if you're lucky enough to be there on one of the nights that Susanna cooks), and the location. I know I'll return to visit Ancient Olympia again, and from now on I will definitely always stay at the Hotel Pelops. The owners, the Spiliopoulos family, made us feel as if we were part of the family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HomerPigeon
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had a single night at Hotel Pelops, basically to see Olympia and keep moving. I am in a wheelchair and the disabled room is small, but I was able to manage. The bathroom is very small for an accessible room, but with some portable bars (that I carry with me) and some manouvering it was workable. The location of the motel is fantastic, close enough to walk to all the main attractions, shops and restaurants. The breakfast was great and the quality of the room for the price was fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IntrepidTravellersOZ
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed 1 night here and it was an enjoyable stay. The room was very clean, a good size and came with a coffee machine and free WiFi. The owners are friendly and speak good English and even told us we could go for a swim at the Europa Hotel which an uncle owned, nice touch. The hotel is just off the main street so it was quiet and also was an easy walk to the Olympic site. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were convinced that this would be a good addition to our itinerary since it offered on-site laundry facilities, a highly-touted chef, and every amenity we look for. Problems from the start:
they no longer offer laundry service (if you have more than a day (we didn't), they'll send it over the uncle's hotel); chef Suzanna is in Australia, so no dinner offered; TV picture was wavy and the sound so low that we could not hear it - they had the TVs set very low by the manufacturer and cannot adjust them; refrig didn't work and they wouldn't give us more than a cupful of ice ("if I give you any more, I'll run out"!); cheesy shower door that didn't close; worst coffee and nondescript breakfast. To top it off, we were there on the eve of Greek Orthodox Easter, the night the local kids shoot off cherry bombs and other fireworks across the street from the hotel until the wee hours - our calls to the front desk were not answered.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne S
hotelpelops, Owner at Hotel Pelops, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Suzanne thank you for your review.
I would like to address your so called "problems"
1. We actually do offer laundry service. It is outsourced and it is not possible to have laundry that would be handed in at 21:00 READY by the next morning when you had your departure. I think what you are asking for is unrealistic. Maybe a 4 star hotel would have the resources to do that but we are limited to 24 hours later.
2. "chef Suzanna is in Australia" this I am afraid is a misunderstanding. My mother was present (although I am sure she would LOVE to be in Australia) but dinner is not offered every night.
3. TV signal is received by satellite so there is no possibility for it to be "wavy" as you said. Digital signals do not do "wavy" image. Local Greek channels do this often but we doubt you would be watching Greek TV.
4. Shower door has been mended.
5. "worst coffee and nondescript breakfast" I will let other reviews answer this as our breakfast is a "breakfast of champions" for other reviewers.
6. Greek Orthodox Easter is like this. You should have known a little bit more on local customs and religion. Maybe even try to understand them instead of criticising them. After all, you are in another country...try and live/breathe a bit of it ;)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel is ideally located close to all the main attractions, has friendly staff and comfortable rooms. We were invited to participate in a special meal trying out a variety of Greek specialities - a fun experience. We stayed two nights and greatly enjoyed our stay. This is hotel we would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel has everything-charm, convenience, and wonderful hospitality. It's the best place in Olympia to stay, and it's also affordable. It's wonderful to see the Olympic torches over the bar, because they convey the ongoing historical significance of the site. The owners were participants in several of the torch-bearing ceremonies, and it's great to hear about that first hand experience. The food is also a real treat; it's traditional Greek cooking with an Australian flourish. If you can arrange to be there during Greek Easter you will have a special treat because the town's beautiful basilica is located right next door. The candlelight service and procession is something you will never forget!

Room Tip: Most rooms have balconies, but be sure to ask for one.