“Very disappointing”
Review of Hotel Pelops

Hotel Pelops
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Olympia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were convinced that this would be a good addition to our itinerary since it offered on-site laundry facilities, a highly-touted chef, and every amenity we look for. Problems from the start:
they no longer offer laundry service (if you have more than a day (we didn't), they'll send it over the uncle's hotel); chef Suzanna is in Australia, so no dinner offered; TV picture was wavy and the sound so low that we could not hear it - they had the TVs set very low by the manufacturer and cannot adjust them; refrig didn't work and they wouldn't give us more than a cupful of ice ("if I give you any more, I'll run out"!); cheesy shower door that didn't close; worst coffee and nondescript breakfast. To top it off, we were there on the eve of Greek Orthodox Easter, the night the local kids shoot off cherry bombs and other fireworks across the street from the hotel until the wee hours - our calls to the front desk were not answered.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne S
hotelpelops, Owner at Hotel Pelops, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Suzanne thank you for your review.
I would like to address your so called "problems"
1. We actually do offer laundry service. It is outsourced and it is not possible to have laundry that would be handed in at 21:00 READY by the next morning when you had your departure. I think what you are asking for is unrealistic. Maybe a 4 star hotel would have the resources to do that but we are limited to 24 hours later.
2. "chef Suzanna is in Australia" this I am afraid is a misunderstanding. My mother was present (although I am sure she would LOVE to be in Australia) but dinner is not offered every night.
3. TV signal is received by satellite so there is no possibility for it to be "wavy" as you said. Digital signals do not do "wavy" image. Local Greek channels do this often but we doubt you would be watching Greek TV.
4. Shower door has been mended.
5. "worst coffee and nondescript breakfast" I will let other reviews answer this as our breakfast is a "breakfast of champions" for other reviewers.
6. Greek Orthodox Easter is like this. You should have known a little bit more on local customs and religion. Maybe even try to understand them instead of criticising them. After all, you are in another country...try and live/breathe a bit of it ;)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel is ideally located close to all the main attractions, has friendly staff and comfortable rooms. We were invited to participate in a special meal trying out a variety of Greek specialities - a fun experience. We stayed two nights and greatly enjoyed our stay. This is hotel we would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel has everything-charm, convenience, and wonderful hospitality. It's the best place in Olympia to stay, and it's also affordable. It's wonderful to see the Olympic torches over the bar, because they convey the ongoing historical significance of the site. The owners were participants in several of the torch-bearing ceremonies, and it's great to hear about that first hand experience. The food is also a real treat; it's traditional Greek cooking with an Australian flourish. If you can arrange to be there during Greek Easter you will have a special treat because the town's beautiful basilica is located right next door. The candlelight service and procession is something you will never forget!

Room Tip: Most rooms have balconies, but be sure to ask for one.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is really adorable and only a couple minutes walk from the site of Ancient Olympia. The owners are very friendly and extremely helpful. I forgot my IPad on the site and the owner called the people in charge of the site ,(she knows everyone in the town and she is truly respected) spoke to them and I actually found my IPad. Where else would that ever happen? The rooms were quaint and very adorable. The breakfast was a typical European breakfast and they recommend amazing restaurants that are not even a 2 minutes walk away. I truly lived this place and I am definitely planning on going back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mjoseph16
Reviewed April 19, 2013

When I stayed at Hotel Pelops I was greeted with smiles and hellos as I checked in. When I needed help or had a question, I was responded to with good advice, recommendations, and all in a timely manner. I had a triple room and it had a large bathroom and two balconies. The location was within walking distance of the small town, and for younger folks it was close enough to ancient Olympia. I would recommend Hotel Pelops to those looking for a short stay with nice people.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank CaitlinRauchle
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Excellent location for visiting the ancient site. Owners were very friendly and helpful. Hotel situated in a quiet part of the town and within easy walking distance of restaurants, shops etc. We are planning another visit to Olympia in the summer and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room on the entrance side is good as it gets sun in the evening and also its not on the main road.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Athena1943
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay and appreciated the nice room which was front facing with a large terrace overlooking the church, it was quiet and very clean. The owners were very nice and Susanna was especially welcoming. I felt the breakfast was ok (my husband loved it), beds were hard (husband didn't mind) and there was old carpet on steps and hallway (husband didn't notice), but overall a nice, safe and comfortable hotel in Olympia in a great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family