“Awesome Tour and Cultural Experience”

Olympic Day Tours by Niki Vlachou
Ranked #1 of 16 Tours in Olympia
More attraction details
Owner description: Private guided tours in Ancient Olympia, Katakolon or Athens. Having graduated in 1997 from Greece’s school for tour guides, I offer guide services for many areas all over Greece for the last 13 years, in Greek, English and French.In Greece only the official, licensed guides like me, can give a guided tour in the museums and the archeological sites.Specializing in private tours, which I customize on my clients needs, I work mostly with people coming with cruise ships at the port of Katakolon.Contact me and i will be happy to offer you ,either a private tour customized to your preferences, or the chance to join one of the groups I am leading for individuals, some days of the week.
Milwaukee, WI
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome Tour and Cultural Experience”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Katakolon/Olympia, Greece was one of our ports of call on an MSC cruise. Niki comes highly recommended on TripAdvisor and on other sites, so we went ahead and booked her for the day. She and her driver picked us up at the port. The drive into Olympia took about 40 minutes, and she gave excellent stories and descriptions of the area the whole way. Her English is perfect. The Olympic ruins were rich with cultural significance, which she is vary adept at sharing. Great sense of humor, and knows a lot of the locals which seemed to get us some services faster. Afterward, we did some quick shopping, and then visited a local winery. This was the unexpected gem of the tour: fabulous wine, and it was served along with the most delicious fresh produce, cheese, and meat. There was a quick tour as well. The value of the wine was incredible: low cost, and delicious (both red and white). We bought 2-3 bottles each, and brought them back on the ship without any problems. The whole experience was extremely professional and enjoyable, and she customized everything very well to accomodate the limited amount of time we had (about 4 hours). It's no wonder Niki get's a 5-star rating from everyone.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank groeschl

San Ramon, CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very knowledgable tour guide + great site...”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our group of five thoroughly enjoyed the tour provided by Niki Vlachou's service. Our guide Nikolias ("Niko") was extremely well trained, as are many guides in Greece. For example, he speaks five (six?) languages fluently after living in various countries, all in preparation for becoming a guide. He had deep knowledge about the site and artifacts. He also knows many other sites in Greece & links them to Olympia & Greek history.

Having a private tour of Olympia was a good idea. We beat the cruise ship large groups to the site, so it was almost empty while we toured. Niki gave us an excellent tour with many details we would not have learned without his comments, such as the prominent monuments shaming those few found to be cheating in the games.

The museum was very impressive following the site tour. It is amazing how many artifacts & statues have been recovered. Beautiful works.

The history if Olympic Games is deeper than I ever knew.

A last idea --
Ask your guide to stop in the town of Olympia as you leave. It's much nicer than the typical tourist commerce areas. Find the shop of Dimitris Kirkilesis. He personally makes and sells accurate replicas of museum pieces, such as pottery, plates & frescoes. His work is unbelievably beautiful and extremely accurate as replicas. He can show you photos of the museum pieces; you won't be able to distinguish the replica from the original. His prices are reasonable (not typical tourist knock-off prices, but good value). A ~5 inch high vase was about €150.

Niki Vlachou and her guides can direct you to Dimitris Kirkilesis' store front.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Richard S
Phoenix, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of our trip”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our Olympia tour was organized by a Cruise Critic friend Jennifer - we were 2 hours late getting into port on the Ruby, but Niki was right there waiting for us. The tour was perfect - running in the Olympic stadium is something my wife will never forget. Niki was knowledgeable, helpful, insightful and funny - I now know what the 'evil eye' is... The lunch we had was ...excellent is not being complimentary enough - the food was amazing. We had to cut the tour short due to our delayed start, but overall we were 100 % satisfied and I highly recommend Niki and her company to any and all.

Thank you Niki for a very memorable day.

1 Thank doyleb
Weybridge, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantastic Day in Olympia”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Visited Katakolon by cruise ship on May 3. Our party of 4 had pre-booked our day tour of Olympia with Niki, and it turned out to be a great decision. As it was Good Friday the actual site was closed until midday, but Niki took us to the local town (where she lives and was known by all the locals!). A pleasant drift round, including taking us inside the church which was being decorated in preparation for the services - everyone was very friendly. Lunch was fantastic, and then to the site. She managed to avoid the big crowds - we saw crocodiles of people on the ship's tours dragging round, and we were always going in a different direction! Niki was very knowledgeable and we learnt so much. A great site to visit. Thanks for a fantastic day Niki!

Royal Oak, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So thankful the reviews were correct - well worth it!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've started hiring private tours/guides when cruising Europe to ensure I get the highlights that interest me and the ability to be flexible. Niki came highly recommended on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic - so I booked with little hesitation. She came through with flying colors, and even catered the day to us to include a tour of an Olive Oil factory with picnic. She not only spoke perfect English (better than me) - but was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. She definitely had a Greek pride that was contagious. I'm extremely impressed with her professional yet inviting demeanor. It was worth more than we paid - and we tipped well as we all appreciated it so much. The Olympic site and museum were wonderful - but wouldn't have been so interesting without Niki to explain the detail. Again - a deal for such a great day!!! Thanks again to Niki and her team!

2 Thank Shelly0811
niki v, Owner at Olympic Day Tours by Niki Vlachou, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
So thankful to you! First of all for choosing me and most of all for appreciating all of my hard efforts to offer you the best quality of services!!
You were special and besides everything else I felt like i was visiting with friends. Hope to see you again in the future.