“Excellent work of art”

368 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 539 helpful votes
“Excellent work of art”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Hermes and the infant Dionysus is an unique work of Praxiteles, made in Parian marble in 4 c. BC. It is probably one of the finest statues of the Late Classical period and it alone is worth visit to Olympia. The most of Praxiteles´ works were painted by Nikias of Athens, and one can just imagine how wonderful this work was when finished with colours as it was originally planned.

Visited May 2013

NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning site”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Loved the ruins and the amazing collection of artifacts at the lovely museum. The unique collection is gorgeous with sirens, sphinxes, griffins, and other mythological icons. Some of the items go back to the 14 th century BCE. The staff at the site could be more helpful and patient, however.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Linda L
Boulogne-Billancourt, France
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The most superb statue ever made by human hands. This is what I thought when I first saw Hermes. I'd never imagined perfection could possibly exist, but I saw it with my very own eyes. Praxiteles' hands must have been guided by the Gods. And the model he used must have been the most beautiful man on earth.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank AlexisetElise
Iowa
218 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Beatiful... of course.”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Amazing sculpture. As you would expect. I told the story my to my 5 year old and she wanted to know why he was teasing the baby with grapes.

Visited March 2013