“Stunning site”

Hermes by Praxiteles
Ranked #4 of 29 things to do in Olympia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Loved the ruins and the amazing collection of artifacts at the lovely museum. The unique collection is gorgeous with sirens, sphinxes, griffins, and other mythological icons. Some of the items go back to the 14 th century BCE. The staff at the site could be more helpful and patient, however.

1  Thank Linda L

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The most superb statue ever made by human hands. This is what I thought when I first saw Hermes. I'd never imagined perfection could possibly exist, but I saw it with my very own eyes. Praxiteles' hands must have been guided by the Gods. And the model he used must have been the most beautiful man on earth.

1  Thank AlexisetElise
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Amazing sculpture. As you would expect. I told the story my to my 5 year old and she wanted to know why he was teasing the baby with grapes.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

2  Thank Catherine S
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Aristotle said " Perfection is not just an act, it is a habit ".
That phrase comes in my mind admiring the Hermes statue with Dionysus child by Praxiteles.
You'll be lost in words, absolutely breathtaking in its perfection.
You will definitely consider yourself a lucky and a happy one, since you you have the chance to visit it. A must-see, once in your life.
It is the iconic, the ideal Greek Beauty carved on marble 3000 yrs ago ! The point of view that the ancient Greeks use to have on the issue of the Aesthetic.
A real gem in the Crown of Olympia.

4  Thank DINOS T