I stayed at the La Petite Planete for 5 days in 2012 years ago and returned for 8 days in April, 2014. I love this hotel and will be returning for a third visit in 2016. In 30 years of business travel and 40+ years of extensive personal travel, I have stayed at well over 1,000 different hotels. This is my all time favorite hotel in the world for many reasons:
1. The service is 5 star from the moment you arrive. Sisters Vassiliki and Valentini are the most generous, caring hosts I've ever met. Without ever being intrusive, they make sure that everything about your stay is perfect. For example, I asked to borrow scissors to trim an unruly bit of hair and they offered the services of a friend of the family who is a professional hair stylist (who would not accept payment).
2. Vassiliki is extremely knowledgeable about the history of the area and can recommend wonderful out-of-the-way archaeological sites as well as beautiful country walks.
3. The food is beautifully prepared and seasoned with the freshest local ingredients including herbs, fruit and vegetables from their own gardens. In both 2012 and 2014, it was the best food I had in Greece. My breakfast as a solo traveler covered the entire table and I had a 3-course dinner there every night. Each day brought new culinary treats. At home, I would happily drive 2 hours to eat in a restaurant this good.
4. The rooms are impeccably clean and very comfortable. Beds are important to me because I have a bad back and I slept beautifully here with a good mattress and pillows.
5. The location is perfect for Mycenae (of course), but also for Corinth, Epidaurus, Argos and Nafplio. All are an easy drive over good roads. There are beautiful views of the surrounding countryside from the patio and walks through the ruggedly beautiful countryside from the doorstep. It is easy to find (the last hotel on the left as you're leaving town) and has ample parking.
The only minor issue is that the WiFi doesn't work in the guest rooms. There is a good signal in all of the downstairs public rooms. This just meant when I wanted to use the internet I *had* (cough) to camp out on the beautiful terrace and let Vassiliki and Valentini ask if they could bring me something to drink. I let them spoil me rotten!
I love this hotel and recommend enthusiastically!
- Also Known As:
- La Petite Planete Mycenae