“This Hotel Deserves More than Five Stars.”
Review of La Petite Planete

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mycenae
La Petite Planete
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mycenae
Washington, DC
“This Hotel Deserves More than Five Stars.”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed at the La Petite Planete for 5 days in 2012 years ago and returned for 8 days in April, 2014. I love this hotel and will be returning for a third visit in 2016. In 30 years of business travel and 40+ years of extensive personal travel, I have stayed at well over 1,000 different hotels. This is my all time favorite hotel in the world for many reasons:

1. The service is 5 star from the moment you arrive. Sisters Vassiliki and Valentini are the most generous, caring hosts I've ever met. Without ever being intrusive, they make sure that everything about your stay is perfect. For example, I asked to borrow scissors to trim an unruly bit of hair and they offered the services of a friend of the family who is a professional hair stylist (who would not accept payment).

2. Vassiliki is extremely knowledgeable about the history of the area and can recommend wonderful out-of-the-way archaeological sites as well as beautiful country walks.

3. The food is beautifully prepared and seasoned with the freshest local ingredients including herbs, fruit and vegetables from their own gardens. In both 2012 and 2014, it was the best food I had in Greece. My breakfast as a solo traveler covered the entire table and I had a 3-course dinner there every night. Each day brought new culinary treats. At home, I would happily drive 2 hours to eat in a restaurant this good.

4. The rooms are impeccably clean and very comfortable. Beds are important to me because I have a bad back and I slept beautifully here with a good mattress and pillows.

5. The location is perfect for Mycenae (of course), but also for Corinth, Epidaurus, Argos and Nafplio. All are an easy drive over good roads. There are beautiful views of the surrounding countryside from the patio and walks through the ruggedly beautiful countryside from the doorstep. It is easy to find (the last hotel on the left as you're leaving town) and has ample parking.

The only minor issue is that the WiFi doesn't work in the guest rooms. There is a good signal in all of the downstairs public rooms. This just meant when I wanted to use the internet I *had* (cough) to camp out on the beautiful terrace and let Vassiliki and Valentini ask if they could bring me something to drink. I let them spoil me rotten!

I love this hotel and recommend enthusiastically!

Room Tip: The upper level rooms facing the valley are lovely (although the ones facing the mountain/garden loo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our first hotel in our most recent trip to Greece this April. We arrived on Monday of the Holy Week. We were struck by the friendliness and warmth of the hostess (Vassiliki)! The room was comfortable and clean. The view from our wondow of the open space of olive groves and forests was spectacular. The breakfast was excellent! I highly recommend this hotel and I would stay there again if I went to visit Mycenae. Moreover, I will never forget the best jam in the world: Made of tangerines, offered to us as a sample from our hostess. Thank you very much, Vasso!!!

Eleni and Gabriella

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Petite Planete is an excellent place to stay while visiting Mycenae, and exceeded our expectations of a budget hotel. What makes it stand out is the wonderful friendliness of the hosts and their desire to please. We were shown several rooms so we could decide what would be most comfortable for our family of four (including a 3-yr old and a one-yr old). While settling in, the hostess brought us tea and coffee, and freshly squeezed orange juice for our children. I felt like the hallways and rooms had seen better days, and were sparely decorated (our room had no pictures on the walls), and could use a handy-man (the toilet seat in our bathroom came unhinged for example), but the room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. It included a mini-fridge. We ate dinner in the large dining room (10 euro per person). Each course was excellent, and wine was included. Breakfast the next morning was also delicious, including eggs to order, yogurt, fruit, cheese and toast, coffee cake, and more. We ate on the spacious patio with a beautiful morning view over the valley. The hotel is a short distance from the site of Mycenae and you could walk there. We took an evening walk in the direction recommended by our hostess, through olive groves to the remains of a stone bridge of the Mycenaean era, which also gave us a nice view of Mycenae at sunset.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Karla H
NJ
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Incredible hospitality! We arrived late and the owner stayed and waited for us. Breakfast is one of the best I ever have. Very clean and comfortable room, close to the archeological site. Vasilika gave us a preview of the site so we know we didn't miss the main attractions (e.g. the back gate where Oreste came in to murder Clytemmestra) This is the place to stay if you're visiting Mycenae.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rh1home
Oxford
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We suffered because when we stayed there were not enough guests for them to cook dinner so we were dependent on the totally depressing village tavernas (we seemed to be the only people eating in the village that evening) and very few ate lunch at the huge tavernas the numerous coaches no longer seem to stop at. The hotel staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable but the depression of the village outside has rather seeped into this gently decaying hotel. If you are visiting the site - and it is fantastic - do stay here but we can't entirely share the raves of others, but no doubt because we were forced out into the reality of the village outside. (But breakfast was really great!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hospitality of the sisters who run the place is truly exceptional. They make you feel as if you are a guest at their home. The rooms are not luxurious but perfectly adequate and clean and have airconditioning. The pool is very pleasant to cool off after a day of sightseeing. The mother, who is overseeing the kitchen, is a great cook. Have dinner on the large terrace with a couple of other tables and you 'll never forget it. The food, the view over the valley with the stars, and the outstanding service .... At breakfast home made jams, eggs cooked to your wishes and other niceties await you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Polderpolder
North Chailey, UK
Reviewed August 18, 2013

You get the best of what a family-run hotel can offer: exceptional and personal service, local food prepared in the hotel's kitchen, knowledge of the area, and all done by people who appear to be enjoying hosting you. The comments provided by others here say it all, but I must mention the exceptional pool (deeper and longer than all others we used in our two-week holiday to the Peleponnese) and the food, which on the second night was really top quality (the first night was very good too - although some fruit juice instead of very sweet squash should be available for all meals). Our hostesses could not have been more accommodating. We are so pleased we found this hotel - the closest to ancient Mycenae, and within easy reach of many other historical sites of the Argolid. I would recommend staying here rather than in Nauplio to anyone. Superb.
Well done Vassiliki and family!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mycenae
Amalia Hotel Nauplia
#1 of 5 in Epidavros
Alexandros Hotel
Alexandros Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nea Kios

Been to La Petite Planete? Share your experiences!