“A little room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Emerald Apartments

Emerald Apartments
Ranked #15 of 90 Hotels in Thasos
Sutton in Ashfield
“A little room for improvement”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

An apartment with an absolutely magnificent view from a very large terrace looking right across Golden beach, clean and enough space for the amount of time that we actually spend in the room. The bathroom could be improved, being more of a wetroom and proving to be a hazard at times if you didn't wipe the floor with a towel after using the shower. The beds were very firm but this was no handicap and it's a little unrealistic to call this a self catering apartment with the cooking facilities provided, no problem to us as we had no intention of cooking, but may be to other people.

The one thing that the Emerald lacks is atmosphere around the bar area, it does tend to be a little "cliquey" with people who have been there many times appearing smug and unfriendly.Surprisingly it doesn't serve draught beer which most people prefer and we didn't use this bar like we have done at other hotels which is a shame as I consider that hotel bars should act as a focal point for all guests.

My final word is for the hill up to the Emerald, we knew what to expect and it was hard work, especially after a good meal and a few drinks, but it was worth it for the incredible views at the end of the slog, anyone complaining about it should read the information before they go and then it may not come as a surprise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ashover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
yarm
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had a fantastic warm welcome and we were very happy with the facilities. although basic they were exactly what we needed for our active stay! we had enough to make food on a morning and enjoy a lovely view of the beach from our balcony!

the evenings by the pool were fantastic with a few complimentary drinks and hospitality aplenty. My partner had her birthday while we were away and the owner was more than happy to suggest a party and even offered to purchase a cake from a local patisserie.....

then providing us with glasses and plates to dish out our cake and champers.

the location is a little out the way up a hill but this makes its self worth while with the views and privacy.... we did plenty on our stay and I would definitely advise hiring a quad or jimny to tour some of the more historic parts.... there is plenty to do and see!

our hotel provided an excellent base for our stay, maybe those after a little more luxury should look elsewhere other wise this is the ideal place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank J P
Nottingham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had not been to Thassos before and did not know what to expect and I must say we were disappointed. The apartments were basic and very clean. Upon arrival everyone is shown to their apartment which involves trailing around following the owners in an ever decreasing party of people. I believe this was at one time an hotel which has been converted to apartments. The rooms are therefore hotel room size with the addition of a "kitchen". The kitchen consists of a sink with a cupboard above and below a very small work top with a portable electric 2 ring hob (only one ring of it worked) and an electric kettle. There is no room to prepare food or indeed store it. We do not cook whilst on holiday other than breakfast and to prepare lunch to take out to the beach which is fortunate as to call these apartments self catering is quite ambitious. My husband has a gluten free diet and we take his bread with us which has to be toasted or refreshed. We enquired if we could hire a toaster and we were told no as it was a fire risk.
The beds were hard but we have had worse. The shower flooded out the bathroom every time it was used and there was no mop provided which meant we had to wipe the floor by hand after each shower to prevent slipping.
The balcony was large and fairly private with lovely views but not entirely sure it was worth the climb up the hill.
We had researched the island before we went and people had said it was quiet and relaxing. It was indeed quiet but we found it lacking in atmosphere. Many places in Greece are quiet and tranquil and have a nice feel to them but we did not find this with Thassos.
The other guests in the apartments were most unfriendly and frankly rude especially when it came to queues, when we were waiting for everyone to assemble before being shown to the apartments some guests just walked straight to the front with complete disregard to those that had been patiently waiting. It seemed they had been coming to Thassos for many years and seemingly that gave them the right to push in. Not the kind of atmosphere and ambience you want whilst on holiday.
Overall the apartments are very basic but clean. We heard many people say that Greek accommodation overall is basic, and that is what you have to expect , where have these people been staying !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Juanita22Nottingham
Suffolk (UK).
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I recently spent two weeks at the Emerald on Golden Beach , Thassos.
Personally I do not normally comment on social media sites about myself or family.
On this occasion I have deceided to make an exception.
On being dropped off by the tour bus, we did not notice the rather steep hill negotiated to get to our chosen apartments. After the first couple of days I could see why previous visitors call it 'cardiac hill !! having to negotiate it two or three times a day (to get to beach or go out in the evening) but soon I was looking forward to it and timing myself each day. (I am over 60 !)
The accommodation is typically Greek, sparse but very clean. The cooking facilities were not good. Not that it bothered as we never bother to cook on holiday anyway. The view from our balcony is quite dramatic, being quite high up the side of a hill you appreciate that that climb to just look out over the bay. The beach at 'Golden Sand' is fine with the sun beds and parasols reasonable. The owners of 'Emerald Kostas and his wife are quite remarkable people, nothing is too much trouble and if you have a problem it is rectified that day without fail.
To sum up our holiday - it was first class and I cannot wait to get back next year hopefully for three weeks this time. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have an excellent view. But always ask when booking for a sea view ! Simples.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Onepieceleathers
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I just arrived home earlier today from a week staying in smaragdi. I have never written a review before and if I'm honest I never thought I would. But my experience over the whole holiday compelled me to share my thoughts. When we (myself and my girlfriend- both 23) arrived we were greeted by Costas who showed us to our room, inviting us up to the pool bar for a beer as soon as we had settled in. Everyone was incredibly friendly like nowhere I have stayed before. There were people who go back year after year and you can certainly see why. And thats not just to thassos but to hotel emerald. Costas was ever present, always had a story to share and genuinely takes delight in doing all he can to make sure you are happy and enjoying your stay We certainly felt we have made a friend in him and look forward to going back again next year!

The rooms are exactly what we wanted. Clean, nice comfortable bed, good facilities, en suite lovely and views from the balcony stunning. Couldnt have asked for more.

I have noticed a lot of people on these reviews complain about the hill and the walk but then say how amazing the views are. The views are spectacular and certainly worth the 5 minutes walk up to it- do not be put off by the few who don't like walking!

Thassos itself is an amazing island, everyone we met seemed very happy to accommodate and share their piece of paradise and we cannot wait to go back again!

Excellent hotel, excellent holiday. You will not regret booking this one!

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank samcurrie
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have just returned from 2 weeks at Emerald Apartments, Golden Beach, Thasos.
One of the main reasons for choosing this hotel, location etc... was because of the great reviews written on Trip advisor so I thought I would re pay the compliment hopefully helping others with there choices.
The apartments themselves are great - we were in room 44 which had a large balcony which continued out to a huge veranda area. This veranda area is shared with 5 other apartments not that you would have known as it was so big. The views are amazing, prob the best in the resort.
Quite basic inside; 2 single mattresses on 1 large double bed, wardrobe with a safe (key from reception and very cheap I might add too) very small kitchen area with literally 2 of everything forks, knives, spoons, bowls, plates etc... a ridiculous 2 cooker hob thing that looked old (we never used it so I can't comment on how well it worked), a kettle, no toaster and when I enquired about maybe renting a toaster I was told NO because the apartments are so close to the woodland that a toaster could set the woods on fire! I found this quite strange as the room had this old cooking hob that had to be manually turned on and off but no to a toaster that once pops is virtually off already?! The bathroom was fine, the shower head had seen better days but all in all it was nice and clean which is what you want. Towels and beds changed 3 times a week I think it was.. We didn't get bitten at night even though we slept with the patio doors open and the curtains drawn closed. There are nets on the bathroom and kitchen windows which makes a massive difference to the mozzys not getting in. You can drink the water from the taps yes I know unheard off in Greece! They have a supply of spring water from the mountains filtered on site making the tap water drinkable which we did daily and it tasted fine (no upset tummy's from the water anyway). One thing I will say is the beds are awful! The stone floor was looking quite appealing by night 10 as I think this had more 'give' in it than the mattress, it was like sleeping on cardboard it was very uncomfortable I will be honest.
The apartments outside are lovely, the grounds are well kept and it's quite cool once your out of the sun due to all the trees on the hillside.
The pool and bar area were nice with the most amazing views over the beach and bay. The pool area is nice and clean, we noticed sunbeds and tables but didn't venture in to the pool once during our stay as it wasn't that inviting once you were by the water edge. The pool has def seen better days which is a shame as the views are amazing and it just lets the hotel down as everything else was so good. The other thing to mention is that the apartments are located at the top of a very steep hill (by day 3 we were used to it, up and down twice a day for 2 weeks does keep you a little bit fit). I wouldn't stay here if you have trouble walking etc... it took 10 minutes at a fairly normal pace but my god it is steep!!!
The main resort is really nice, a few restaurants and bars along the beach open all day and well in to the evening. There were a few 'drinking bars' but no late night clubs with music blasting out. If you are looking for a more livelier location the next resort is 40 minute walk away which was very popular or catch the train £4 euro's each which goes supposedly every 45 minutes but he seems to have his own timetable so get them well before it states on the board otherwise you will miss him or walk and get a taxi back only £6 euro's and it takes you up the hill!
The beach is great, literally 'Golden sands', all the beds are fairly new and free as long as you buy a drink from the bar that owns them located directly behind the beds. They have 'beach waiter service' he will come and take your orders all day long, it was great you didn't even have to leave the beach to get a drink or lunch!
Don't be scared but there were jelly fish in the water on most beach's, we hired a car and travelled the island and swam at a lot of the beaches. The car hire is well worth it and we booked it directly at the welcome meeting with the rep as I thought it was very cheap and they were doing 1 day additional free. There is only 1 road around the island, a bit like the M25! Follow it and it takes 1 hr 40 mins to drive non stop. Thasos town is lovely, well worth a visit during the evenings as the shops are great, the restaurants have lots of very tasty food, the town is alive and the atmosphere amazing.
Over all I would def go back to Thasos, I think 2 weeks is just about right, we were about to start climbing the walls if staying any longer, 1 week isn't long enough, but apparently Thomson will be doing 10 days next summer 2014. The ferry ride is great as well, look out for the man playing his 'tunes' out on deck!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank fay S
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The hill, as others have said, is a little bit of a killer! However walking up it after a meal when there is no sun makes it so much easier! The view from the balcony makes the walk up the hill in the hot sun completely worth it.. The view is priceless. The hosts and owners of the emerald are so kind and welcoming and couldn't have done enough for us. The island 'thassos' itself is so beautiful. We are a young couple of 22 and myself and my boyfriend visited skiathos last year. We prefer authentic Greece. The island, the local Greek people and the weather was wonderful. The excursions are also brilliant value. Would also recommend 'the wedding cake' restaurant.. Food was immense. Would go back tomorrow

• Stayed July 2013