“Best hotel and beach on Thassos”

Makryammos Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Thasos
Reviewed July 25, 2013

It was the best family vacation, an excellent hotel, great location, the best and most beatiful beach on the island, friendly staff, great food, very good superior room...
Thank you for the great vacation!
Best Regards.
Predrag Jovanovic
Serbia.

Room Tip: Superior rooms have good location.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank pedjacu

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Makryammos Bungalows means: good service everywere ,superb garden,good food (there are 3 restaurants),gourgeous own beach and pawns.Beach bar with bads on marble.You an pay for entrance and sunbeds and have a nice day at theyr beach even if toy are not they client.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cristinaned
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Beach and water were excellent, poor service unfriendly staff, no water at dinner for free, no beach seats for free for hotel guests - at least 150 euros for 10 days, terrible insects (wasps, bees, mosquitos) especially during meals. No activities for kids. There is no kids club whatsoever - totally inexistent.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Valentin S
Reviewed July 10, 2013

They didn't let me make a reservation for a week in August, although there were (at the reservation system of the hotel) empty rooms.
I asked details of the room that i reserved,about the location and the distance of the sea.
At first they answered that the available room is ''out'' of the hotel area,and when i asked for a closer room they answered that there isn't any available room.I insisted and calling to another person,he made a reservation.
After a few hours they claimed that there isn't any available room.
Very very disappointing behaviour.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank GreeceKos
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Despite emailing ahead to ask for rooms together we were still assigned two rooms no where near each other and receptions explanation that they had been busy so couldn't get us together was not true as rooms were empty near us which we discovered later. We were also given rooms near the top of the resort so quite a walk with our small children this proved a real pain when trying to take them back at the hottest part of the day for a nap. The buggy stops at 1pm and doesn't start again until 6pm and then finishes again at 10pm and for us these times were useless. We were advised by reception that Thomson only have allocation at the top of the resort.
But the grounds were lovely and very well maintained
Our room was very nice the cleaners did a wonderful job and kept it beautifully clean.
Food we thought was excellent, really varied and lots of it. Drinks were expensive but we did expect this and we are not huge drinkers so it didn't really bother us. The waiters were great very attentive and happy to help.
We didn't mind the charging for sunbeds it meant there seemed to be no issues with people reserving loads of beds and then going off for the day. The beach is gorgeous and the view is just amazing you could forgive any niggles for the view alone.
The main pool is big and the kids loved the little pool as shallow enough for them to stand up. I can't say I rated the mini club the toys were filthy and the women in there looked bored and just chatted amongst themselves we just nipped in for some shade and a play but didn't stay long.
Entertainment on an evening was a bit of a let down the first night they had a disco and the kids had a fab time dancing away but the rest of the week was rubbish the music was depressing and the clown show that was on one night was bizarre so we spent most evenings at the playground
The highlight for us we're the Deer and the Peacocks our son just loved them.
Other tips hire a car for at least a day the island is beautiful. Thassos town has something for everyone and worth having a night or two in the town for a change
So overall very good definitely better for younger children and we would recommend to others

3  Thank Newoldmaid
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is an amazing place to go with young kids (maybe 12 and under) - absolutely stunning beach which gently shelves and has sparking pale sand. We went round the island and it could well be the best one. The food is wonderful and varied (and copious! Which is lucky as everyone seemed to be very very hungry), partly due to the international clientele (some cultural differences to be observed at buffet but generally a nice atmosphere and not too much chicken-and-chips brits that you often get when it is all from the UK). Deer lovely, peacocks beautiful, resort amazingly maintained, toilets/doors/mostquito screens all the best I have seen in Greece. Drinks costly. Sunbeds too but that is the same everywhere. BUT. When we first arrived we were allocated a dark distant 'bungalow' (this word is misleading as it conjours up images of a nice little chalet - infact they are just quite small rooms but all on ground floor). The climb to the room esp in the heat was too much for my 5 year old. Also if you are in one of these, you are 10 /15 minutes from everything - sea, pool, food. So if your kids want you to pop back for their goggles that is a big issue. The room (261) was dark and felt somehow unloved although clean. I spent my first night awake and hating it and genuinely upset and thinking of escaping somehow. I then underwent a rather lengthy and at times a bit bemusing exchange with reception about moving rooms. Another family we'd befriended had had the good sense to call ahead and ask for a close-ish room. On checking in they had been offered an even closer one, so I thought this wasn't going to be a problem. I think reception got wind of the fact I may be prepared to pay my way out of this as they claimed this other family had only been offered this as they were in a 'superior' room whereas we had booked a 'standard' (not true, they booked exacty the same as us). Therefore we would have to pay 25 euros a night for the same room they'd been offered. I found this upsetting as it was clearly not true. In the end another receptionist offered us another'standard' room closer (74) which we took and was actually much better location wise (still a small room for 4 people), and then we paid a whopping 700 euros to upgrade for ten nights to the amazing new rooms which have two rooms plus a nice bathroom and are 10 seconds walk to the beach, and overlook the most wonderful ocean. Sadly Thomson do not do deals to these rooms so you can't book via them. I would only go again if those rooms (we had 511) were available. We went end May and got a couple of rainy days. I think later in year may be drier. Still lovely and sunny most of the time though.
Facilities that the kids loved: playpark, basketball, pool and mini club (this is a fairly casual affair with the kids wondering in and out and a nice but slightly uncommunicative lady running it - the bonus is it's cool and is good for younger kids like my daughter who need to draw every few hours)
We did one boat trip on Eros II - it was much less packed than the Tour Operator ones and very nice. We did alot of swimming off the boat which they hadn't told us in advance so maybe only for confident swimmers.

2  Thank YCornwall
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at Makryammos Bungalows for a week in may/june with my family. We had two superior rooms as we were too many to fit into one. I was very pleased to find out that the rooms were attached with a small common hallway and an extra common door. This meant we could keep the doors to our rooms open and in that way got a two-room apartment. The rooms were relatively spatious for a hotel double and we had no problem moving about even with the extra bed in each room. The bathrooms were ok and clean. There is a small fridge and a couple of glasses but nothing more in the way of eating and drinking. I would advice to take some plastic cutlery and plate if you want to have your own lunch. You're not allowed to keep food in your room at a hotel according to Greek law but you can still eat there if you want. The rooms were overall quite ok, not top notch, but neither is the price of living there.

The Bungalows are situated on a hill overlooking the sea and it is quite a steep climb. We had a baby pram with us though and we had no problem taking it about. There are lots of stairs to shorten the route if you don't want to take the road.

The resort amenities by the sea are ok. The pool is of the old variety with the water overflow a bit below the top which means it is a bit hard to get in to and out of but it is large enough to hold a lot of people. The beach is nice and clean. The sand is very soft and if you have children it feels like a very safe beach as it slopes very gently.

I had some doubts about the food before I left because of the earlier reviews here. I can now understand both opinions. There is a lot to choose from and what is on the menu varies from day to day. There were some really nice things and some that wasn't so good and some that were really strange. But on the other hand, they cater to many different nationalities and things that I find weird were eaten in great amounts by others. All in all I could find something that was good every evening and I never walked away hungry. Some evenings were better than others though. It seems as they had something extra every second night, when someone stood and made some of the food out in the restaurant. I would advice you to come early to dinner though if you want the full benefit of the deserts. They have a variety and not all come back later in the evening.

You can easily stay put if you like a quiet holiday but if you want to move about a bit there are plenty of oppertunities. Many hire a car and go round the island but I would like to take the chance to promote walking in this area. The main road to Makryammos doesn't lead anywhere else so there isn't much traffic on the road. There is a supermarket just down the hill from the bungalows and it doesn't take long to walk there. My 11-year old son took about 10 minutes to walk from the bungalows to the supermarket. From the supermarket it is easy to continue into town (Limenas). But there are some other very nice routes you could take. If you turn uphill at the taverna Romantica you can walk across the mountain to town. On the mountain you can visit a medival castle ruin, an Athena temple, a Pan temple and the old town wall. All with spectacular view of both Makryammos and Limenas. If you turn left just outside the gates to Makryammos Bungalows (coming from the bungalows) therre is a road leading to Marble beach. It is about 4 kilometers walk.

2  Thank Uppsalabo