“Not for those of a nervous disposition!”
Review of Makedonia Palace

Makedonia Palace
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Thessaloniki
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My only reason for staying there on this occasion is that disabled colleagues requested the hotel as few in Thessaloniki have disabled access rooms. Although the hotel has a good location and is spacious it does not offer good value for money, I would not stay there again. I would not rank it as a 5 star hotel. As others have mentioned charges for room service and water (a basic essential for life!) are disgraceful.

I will confine my comments to a single issue. I can report that there was a fire in the hotel on the morning of my stay there. I was awakened by the knocking on my room door by a colleague from an adjacent room. My wife answered the knock and was informed that our colleague's room was full of smoke (ours was not). My wife was concerned that the corridor was also filled with smoke and offered poor visibility. After dressing and evacuating the rooms I returned to try and assist our severely disabled colleagues whose room numbers I did not know. Requesting this information from the reception staff was not appreciated. I pointed out that they were unable to use the fire escape stairs as most could not walk and some were unable to get out of bed. They suggested they evacuate their rooms via the lift! Quite how they might achieve this was not explained. The staff were more concerned with panicking and downplaying the fire by shouting that it was only in the kitchens. Eventually the fire brigade arrived and proceeded to take charge and evacuate the building. The fire alarm eventually sounded some half an hour later!

Unfortunately the kitchens appear to be connected to the air conditioning system. Those rooms (and corridors) which had the A/C switched off were not filled with smoke, nor was the reception area. Had people not been woken they would have remained asleep in a smoked filled room, potentially until death arrived!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank daytripperyeahUK
There are newer reviews for Makedonia Palace

Reviewed May 17, 2009

I had a horrible experience at the Makedonia Palace.

I am a tour director, and had my small knapsack stolen from two people on a motor scooter right in front of the hotel. After spending several hours at the police station, upon my return, I asked the hotel to close out all of my keys, as one of my room keys was in my knapsack, along with my name and identity not to mention the fact that the plastic room keys boast the name of the hotel on the front. They didn't, in fact, clear the keys. At the time, I thought I was lucky since I had left a majority of my money upstairs in the room.... Little did I know...

The next morning, when I came back from breakfast, I realized the REST of my money had been stolen from my room. When I spoke to the supervisor, he looked doubtful right from the start. It was obvious he didn't want any of the blame, although I'm convinced he fully realized his staff had made a HUGE mistake the night before. He blamed me for not putting my money in the safe, and I explained that I couldn't, since my glasses had been stolen along with my knapsack and I couldn't read the directions for the safe, nor see the keypad. It was also very late by this time, and assured that they had cleared my keys, I wasn't expecting any more trouble.

He printed out a room key report for the hotel that showed someone had entered my room at 8:08 AM---while I was eating breakfast with a large group of people who could testify that I was there. Instead of taking responsibility once again, he called the dining room attendent and had him say that in the middle of breakfast, I suddenly got up, ran to my room and ran back downstairs again, and THAT'S why someone entered my room at 8:08. I was incredulous! I had eight witnesses saying that I never left breakfast, but he'd covered himself, so he was happy. And by the way, what purpose did I have to steal my own money? I'm leading a tour here! And why was I having to defend myself?

The room key report showed me returning from breakfast at 8:19, which is when, in fact, I returned from breakfast. I had several room keys, because after my purse was stolen, I had to replace the two that had been taken, and then had an extra one when I forgot to take one with me once the day before. So, to further build his case, he blamed me for having too many keys.

Listen folks, when you're paying this kind of money for a hotel, you want the staff to be security conscious (clearning keys if yours are stolen), you want them to be helpful (not manipulating the evidence to save themselves) and you want them to be honest. What really scares me is that these theives could have come into my hotel in the middle of the night. I'm lucky they were only after money.

I had a 1,000 dollars stolen in total. Never an apology from the hotel, never a sign of compassion or concern----and not just about the money, license, glasses, etc,. but for my safety. The hotel supervisor, instead, chose to blame me.

This is the sort of thing you see in Greece quite often. As a tour director, I hear horrible stories like this all of the time. So, if you're looking for a hotel that has a responsible and compassionate and HONEST staff, you're not going to find it here. They're more interested in keeping their jobs.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
10  Thank Margot62
Reviewed May 11, 2009

As for a Greek hotel, the staff at the hotel was very helpful and patient. You expect better room for the price, and the air conditioner was very weak and it struggled with the high summer temperature

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ioannis_m
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Great place to stay if you want to visit the sites of Alexander the Great and the overall Greek Historical sites in Makedonia Greece.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank jimmyPolar
Reviewed January 4, 2009

This Hotel is one of a few hotels in Thessaloniki that are situated at the sea side.
It takes 20 min.walk to the city center or 5-10 min. by car. You can also book a taxi (anytime from the reception) at the fare of 4-5 € to the downtown..
It isn’t a new, modern hotel, however it’s a big classical 5star hotel.
The rooms are large & comfortable. The staff & service are also very good.
There are rooms that have city view & sea view. We stayed at 529 (sea view) that was a large, clean, beautiful room. There were a bottle of red wine & some “deserts” as a complimentary. The room had an angular balcony so there was a second window that added a better view! The bed (double) was very big and the bathroom clean & comfortable.
About the prices…Ι will state some services below & you can adjudge it.
The room rate was 180 per night, a club-sandwich 19€, a small bottle of water 5.50€, a simple whisky ( a shot from the room’s mini bar) 16€.
It’s worth to note that the menu of the beautiful restaurant named “ Nine” ( 9th floor) was excellent !!!
It was the 4th time we stayed at Makedonia Palace, & we can admit that it’s really a good choice.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amoras
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Arriving at 3am you don't necessarily expect great service. I was very pleased with the welcome at this hotel at a very poorly organised arrival time (not their fault). Having arrived to find no taxi or transport at the airport the booking agent had conspired to fail to spell my name correctly (fairly understandble in Greece where English is not widely used). There was no reservation either when I called at the front desk suitably tired and fractious. In contrast the staff quickly made amends by providing a room (in a full hotel?) and assuring me not to worry that they would correct the errors. Quite a help to have supportive desk staff after a long journey.

The rooms I was allocated was very reasonable. On 7th floor I was very lucky to have a sea view (pictured) across the long promenade. Beds were comfortable and amenities all worked well. Good desk area. Free wireless internet access was a boon.

Agree with other reviews that the mini bar prices are very steep but this is not a problem if you don't use the mini bar! Good robe provided but the towels we a little less absorbent than I had expected. I had a suit laundered exceptionally well and very quickly (returned by 4pm on the same day as standard service). The restaurant on seventh floor was good for range and quality of foods but the meats on offer tend to be a little too fatty for my taste. The loud background music in this area is a little diconcerting.

Walk to the centre of the city is not really all that far and the proximity of the promenade is really convenient.

The fabric of the hotel is very reasonable and whiel a little unfair to say it is seventies styled while it is not that contemporary it is very pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2008

The good: walking distance from town; sea views (though not particularly interesting view [--] the leisure complex extends out into the near horizon - high floor is better!); the breakfast; late checkouts; friendly staff; 12 Euros to airport.
The bad: Stupid minibar prices (15 Euros for a small can of beer, 8 Euros for a chocolate bar!!); leisure suite is falling apart; no choice of air conditioning after a certain time in September; toilet seat right next to door so you have to back in; rather tired furnishings; very old TV; little space for clothes if staying more than three days.
Thessaloniki is not a great place for hotels - and top rate Lazarius is way too far out of town.

• Stayed: September 2008