My only reason for staying there on this occasion is that disabled colleagues requested the hotel as few in Thessaloniki have disabled access rooms. Although the hotel has a good location and is spacious it does not offer good value for money, I would not stay there again. I would not rank it as a 5 star hotel. As others have mentioned charges for room service and water (a basic essential for life!) are disgraceful.
I will confine my comments to a single issue. I can report that there was a fire in the hotel on the morning of my stay there. I was awakened by the knocking on my room door by a colleague from an adjacent room. My wife answered the knock and was informed that our colleague's room was full of smoke (ours was not). My wife was concerned that the corridor was also filled with smoke and offered poor visibility. After dressing and evacuating the rooms I returned to try and assist our severely disabled colleagues whose room numbers I did not know. Requesting this information from the reception staff was not appreciated. I pointed out that they were unable to use the fire escape stairs as most could not walk and some were unable to get out of bed. They suggested they evacuate their rooms via the lift! Quite how they might achieve this was not explained. The staff were more concerned with panicking and downplaying the fire by shouting that it was only in the kitchens. Eventually the fire brigade arrived and proceeded to take charge and evacuate the building. The fire alarm eventually sounded some half an hour later!
Unfortunately the kitchens appear to be connected to the air conditioning system. Those rooms (and corridors) which had the A/C switched off were not filled with smoke, nor was the reception area. Had people not been woken they would have remained asleep in a smoked filled room, potentially until death arrived!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makedonia Palace: not just a luxury hotel.... a landmark. What makes a luxury hotel really stand out? Makedonia Palace offers 283 rooms and suites and redefines the meaning of luxury stay thanks to its"strategic" position. Right in front of the hotel, the redesigned seafront of Thessaloniki with the infinite view of the sea is the ideal destination for an afternoon walk. Just a few steps away stands the most significant monument and city landmark, the White Tower. And just five minutes away on foot, the city center of Thessaloniki invites you to discover it! A real paradise in the heart of the city. Experience hospitality at Makedonia Palace, the luxury hotel of Thessaloniki with the most heartfelt "Welcome"! Additional information: Makedonia Palace,is turning new page in its history! From the 15th of April, till the 31st of May the 8th Floor's Guestrooms will be upgraded and two more Floors, 7th & 6th ,will be upgraded between the 1st of July and the 31st of August. Our goal is to offer you a leading accommodation experience for your future visits! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Makedonia Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makedonia Palace - Classical Hotel Thessaloniki
- Hotel Makedonia Palace Classical
- Macedonia Palace