“best check in ever!!!”
Review of Makedonia Palace

Makedonia Palace
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Thessaloniki
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Gorgeously located hotel, just on the main beach boulevard of the city and in the coast line, location couldn't be better. Great restaurant for a nice dinner in its seafood restaurant with a beautiful outdoor terrace to enjoy delicious Greek sea food. But what really caught my attention: the fast, polite and costumer focus check in service. We got there tired after a long road trip from Turkey and the ladies at the reception counter just handed out the keys to our rooms for us to go freshen up, get comfortable, and take care of IDs and credit card info later...that was highly appreciated and should be a standard for so many high quality hotels! Also check our was quick and efficient, no more than 5 minutes per customer...hats off!!
Breakfast was also good, plenty of choices and very nice coffees to choose from. Overall a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Definitely rooms with sea views are spectacular, the highest the floor the better of course. If you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GS_General_Manager, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Makedonia Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

At first, I would like to personally thank you for choosing Makedonia Palace Hotel for your recent stay in Thessaloniki. I do hope that you enjoyed your stay and I am looking forward to meeting you during your next visit.

As we are continually trying to improve our services, I greatly appreciate the time you spent to write your comments on TripAdvisor website.

Your written feedback regarding your recent stay is very constructive for the hotel since guest satisfaction is a top priority issue for the hotel management.

It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope to see you again soon at Makedonia Palace Hotel.

Makedonia Palace Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed 8 days in Makedonia Palace hotel.Although the hotel needs some renovations, especially the facade , it has a million dollar view. The hotel staff is absolutely fabulous, respectful, polite, professional and very kind. They would do everything to make you feel like a king. The hotel suites are wonderful and no hotel in Thessaloniki has a sea view like Makedonia Palace . Special thanks to Mr.Periklis who made our holidays one of the best in our life.All my respect to amazing people working in Makedonia Palace. And there is the best sea food restaurant in town with 7 star service. We will always stay in Makedonia Palace when we visit Thessaloniki. Thank you Makedonia Palace for giving us unforgetable time and making us feel very special. We cant wait to be back :-D

Room Tip: Sea view will take your breath away
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days as a layover Good hotel but since Grecotel dumped the property it is no longer maintained Good room with sea view 8th floor but the rooms have not changed since I used to stay here every year when they were a Grecotel property rooms with stained carpets lampshades old televisions rather than flat screens and no coffee/tea making facilities Wifi throughout hotel is good free and unlocked so unlike Hilton Athens no constant being logged out and having to re-sign Pool is good for Saloniki. especially if you compare it to the toddler pool at the Electra Palace Blaring American music which suits Saloniki well is a negative at the pool
Breakfast is average buffet and hot items are cold. This hotel gives itself 5 Stars I give it 3 It was 5 Star years ago as a Grecotel property and then it joined Luxury Hotels Of The World Now its an independant 3 Star
Really all if you want a Greek experience visit Israel I hear more Greek music at beach bars in Tel Aviv and see better maintained. museums churches etc in Israel than I do in Greece Greece has lost the plot and its time to vote with your feet/wallet When you arrive at Ben Gurion you are greeted in the Arrivals hall by an ancient mosaic "Καλοκερια" Try that in Greece. And Greek diaspora are treated way better in Israel than in Greece.

Room Tip: Sea View. high floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice hotel. 15-20 walking to the center of the city. Big room. A bathrom old, need renovation, but very clean. THE VIEW!!!! It was amazing. We had an upgrade from city view to a see view (8 floor) with no charge. Very appriciate it! The breakfast very rich and nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is the first time I stay at this glorious hotel. I have been there twice before for two wedding receptions, which were impeccable, but this time we stayed at the hotel too.
Its unique position makes it ideal for those visiting Thessaloniki, since they are at the same time close to the city centre (walking distance of approx. 15 minutes) and far from its madness and traffic.
Regarding our stay, we were very lucky to have a room with sea view, on the 7th floor, which made us think that we were on holidays by the seaside. Our room was clean, very large and confortable and with a big verandah. The weekend was very hot and humid, but we only needed to turn on the air condition and the room cooled at once.
I was also very impressed by the kind and helpful personnel, as well as the hotel facilities (i.e. pool).
Breakfast was also very good and rich, with the exception of the coffee. I think they should offer better coffee.
Truth is that the hotel needs some renovation, still it is worth staying there when in Thessaloniki. It is an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms with sea view. It is rather amazing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I always choose the Makedonia Palace hotel for our stay in Thessaloniki. The service is exceptional and the staff always do their best to make sure our needs are met. We have had the privilege of booking with Pericles each time we have stayed at the hotel. Our sea view room always presents an amazing view. The reception staff always greet you with a friendly smile and offer the best advice for hiring cars and seeing the sights of historical Thessaloniki. The buffet
Breakfast offers a wonderful selection for all palates, and the staff are always close by to attend to any needs especially my need for a delicious freddo cappuccino. All of the food is so tasty and there is so much choice, you do not know what to eat first. Even the fussiest of eaters are pleased. Even the staff cleaning the rooms greet you with a smile and are ready for any emergencies that may arise. Do yourself a favour and stay at this very special hotel.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms offer a most scenic view of the sea and city.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Since the new owners took over this hotel nothing seems to improve, unfortunately nothing is working properly
We stayed at 2 rooms for 2 nights the electronic keys did it work properly during our stay. We spoke with the reception but nothing happened. They just said try one more time.... The things is that we lived at 7th floor and we had to run down and up all the time.....
The whole hotel needs a complete make over some paint and fresh up a bit... After staying at another five stars hotel in Istanbul during the same vacation I must wonder if the staff at Makedonia has the proper training
Nobody smiles at you and ask you is you need anything, the pool staff does even notice if your are at the pool you have to find an carry your own subbed and go after your own towel
The don't for you nothing not even a small bottle of water (0,50€)
This suppose to be a 5 star hotel !!!!!!
In a time of crisis like this you need to put more effort to get through !!!!! And take the chance to hire the right people who likes to works in the tourist and service business !!
The breakfast buffé was nothing but a better continental breakfast.
Over all is a shame that historical hotels with some good history and pedigree runs down so bad...
To be honest to the new owner I really hope that he looks into the reviews and take action either make this place o a very good 5 star hotel or stay at tourist level sat its is now...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family