“Dated looking but nice”

Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Thessaloniki
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dated looking but nice”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family of 6 stayed here the end of May. Although the hotel is dated looking, the staff was friendly and accommodating. It is very reasonably priced, which is our first priority when booking a hotel overseas. We believe that we aren't spending much time in the hotel anyway so no need to spend a lot of money for one.
The location was good and we felt safe. Breakfast wasn't much to speak of for 5 Euros, though. Toast, cereal, coffee, boiled eggs and some sort of traditional Greek pastry.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and view of the sea.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Sarah C
marina_1206, Owner at Hotel Queen Olga, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

We are happy that you were generally satisfied during your stay in our property.
I have forwarded all your comments to our General Manager since our goal through the reviews is to finally increase out guests' satisfaction.

We will be happy to see you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki!

Managing Partner / Co-Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Queen Olga is one of those hotels which fit most easily into the category 'seen better days'. A rather depressing air envelopes everything - reception area, rooms, breakfast room...the staff look a little depressed too, as there aren't a huge number of customers, but they reacted well to a few gentle British jokes.
On the plus side, my room was quiet (ask for one looking out over the side street unless you like hearing the thunder of traffic along the main street outside), clean and comfortable. It was easy to forgive the broken shower rail and missing plug in the washbasin.
The main drawback was eating - it's quite a long way from the centre, the hotel doesn't have a restaurant and the nearest one is a place called the 'Lazy Lizard' - a short walk round the corner - with not much for vegetarians and rather pricey.
Breakfast was OK - suggestion, serve scrambled, not cold hardboiled eggs.
It's relatively cheap to stay in, with very friendly hard-working staff. But not much of the 'Wow' factor...

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mikeg186225
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after staying with us.

We are sorry for the "depressing" atmosphere that you might have experienced.
All your comments have been forwarded to our General Manager in order to increase our guest satisfaction level.

I would like to inform you that the restaurant that is right next to the hotel offers a discount of 10% to all the guests of the hotel and also has some special menus only for the guests of the hotel with relatively low prices. All guests are informed upon check in.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information next time you wish you book a room in our hotel.

We hope to see you again in one of your next trips to our city!

Managing Partner / Co-Owner
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

me and my husband stayed in this hotel over the weekend. The rooms were small, the bathroom was old and the furniture was in bad condition. The mattresses were terrible and uncomfortable. The location is good, but still not great. There are hotels in Thessaloniki for the same price that are located more centrally. The good thing is that in some rooms if you are lucky you can get some sea view, but that's about it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cocic
marina_1206, Ιδιοκτήτης at Hotel Queen Olga, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Please note that we are sorry that you were not satisfied during your stay in our hotel.
All your comments have been forwarded to our General Manager since our goal is to use our guests' reviews to become better and deliver better services to our future / existing guests.

We would kindly like to inform you that our hotel has different kinds of rooms; standard rooms have renovated rooms but relatively old bathrooms, standard plus rooms have fully renovated rooms and bathrooms - both type face the avenue or the pedestrian street right next to the hotel. We also have sea view rooms that face Thermaikos Gulf. The room rates differ according to what type the traveler chooses.

We believe that it is for the travelers' best interest, to always check out the website of a hotel in order to find out complete information before chosing the room type that is best for them.
The same applies for the location. In our web site there is analytical information upon our location together with a Google Map so that it is more familliar to the visitors.

Again I would like to express our regret for not meeting your needs and we would be happy to see you again in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki.

Managing Partner / Co - Owner
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I loved the friendly staff. Was on a smoking floor. This hotel is very reasonably priced, in a wonderful location, and has perfect service. Rooms have a lot of space and light which I enjoyed very much as Thessaloniki is a sunny city. The hotel is at the seafront, close to center and yet far away from the city noise. The beds were not very comfortable but the room was clean. It definitively is a class better that its stars.It as well has a free and reliable Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose any room with a sea view. It is right on the sea front so the devine view is a promis.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after staying with us.

We are happy that you were satisfied during your stay.

Please note that all your comments were forwarded to our General Manager and I would like to inform you that we have already started solving the problem of our beddings, so if you stay with us again, please inform Reception in case you experience the same problem in order to have a room change.

I am at your disposal for anything you might need and I am waiting forward to seing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki!

Thank you.

Yours Sincerrely,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed five nights in April 2013, on a non-smoking floor. This hotel is very reasonably priced, in a good location, and has good service. We wanted extra hangers and towels and were brought some right away by a very nice member of the housekeeping staff.

I could not get the wi-fi to work in my room, but they do have a public computer with internet in the lobby.

I have to agree with some of the reviews that say the beds can be uncomfortable--the beds in my room were a bit like Ikea cots, with about a six-inch mattress on a frame, no box spring. I woke up with a stiff back most mornings. The sheets were nicely pressed and starched but scratchy.

The breakfast buffet in the hotel consists of eggs, fruit, yogurt, breads, feta, olives, juice, and coffee you make yourself in from a machine (coffee, expresso, etc.). I enjoyed it and it was convenient.

During our first two days we ended up eating dinner twice at the restaurant advertised and promoted by the hotel, The Lazy Lizard, simply because it was right there. The food was just okay and the drinks were very expensive. We discovered there is a much better place to eat across the street just slightly up the block--a seafood restaurant decorated in a blue and white motif. Although the menu is in Greek the waitstaff can translate for you and they are wonderfully attentive. We heard from a local that the hotel owner and Lazy Lizard owner may be related, which could explain why the hotel would partner with such a mediocre restaurant.

This was a very good buy, and I'd stay again, but next time I'd know to pack bathroom extras like a washcloth, conditioner, and a mild soap for my face. There was a soap dispenser by the sink, a shampoo dispenser above the tub, and towels provided. And I would definitely skip the Lazy Lizard.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking floor, and if possible, a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank feministdramaturg
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property after staying with us.

Please note that all your comments have been forwarded to our General Manager.
We are happy that you were generally satisfied during your stay.
We would like to inform you about the following:

We are sorry that you could not connect in our WiFi. We understand how frustrating this can be and this is why, in such cases, guests inform the Reception Staff and then they inform our outside IT technician in order to come and try to help them connect or fix whatever problem exists in order for the guest to be able to connect.

Concerning the problem with the "stiff back" that was caused because of the beds, I would like to inform you that we are taking into serious account our guests' comments and we have started replacing the problematic mattresses. Also, I would like to add that our beds and mattresses are not IKEA brand, but are bought from a professional hotel furniture supplier.
In case you stay with us again, please take this facts into account and please do inform our Reception Staff in order to plan a room change.

I am glad that you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet and I would like to inform you that all Greek hotels are obliged by Law to have a minimum standard of items in the buffet (depending on their stars). Depending on the fasting period, we add some extras. The full list is below just for your information:

Toast Bread white and wholemeal ,Small bagguet white and whole wheat, Butter Croissant, Salty Pastries, small Sausages (during winter time), Omelet or Scrambled Eggs, Boiled Eggs, Yellow Cheese, Meats (turkey, pork shoulder, pariza), Feta cheese, marmalade in individual plastic trays, Honey in individual plastic trays, Yogurt, Cake, Fresh Milk, Cereals, Orange Juice, Multi-Coffe Machine (Espresso, Capuccino etc) and Fresh Fruits.

Concerning your comments about the Cafe-Bar-Restaurant "Lazy Lizard", which is right next door to Queen Olga Hotel, I would like to inform you that it is owned by my family (as well as the hotel) and it is a family business (as well as the hotel) and this is why we promote it to our guests.

As you were informed during check-in, the restaurant offers special discount to the hotel's guests and also a special discounted menu. We try to offer the best service and food quality we can and always try to increase out guests' satisfaction. So, we would really appreciate it if you take some more time and send us some refined feedback and/or reccommendations or exact comments that lead you to the characterization of "such a mediocre restaurant." (This is by the way a characterization that is hardly ever received by our guests.) The goal is to localise the possible problems and improve.

I need to apologise for my long answer, but I find it incredibly necessary to inform our guests about some issues even after their stays, so that they have a clearer image of why some things are the way they are.

Please note that I am at your disposal for anything you might need to discuss or reccommend.

Marina Triantafyllou
Skopje, Macedonia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel. Rooms have a lot of space and light which I enjoyed very much as Thessaloniki is a sunny city. The hotel is at the seafront, close to center and yet far away from the city noise. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean. It definitively is a class better that its stars compared to other Greek hotels I have visited. It as well has a free and reliable Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

I really enjoyed the cafe bar and restaurant Lazy Lizard at the seafront of the Hotel. Not a typical Greek cuisine, but very unique and very tasty with a touch of style you cannot find frequently in Thessaloniki taverns. Definitely a must try for everyone who stays at the Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us.

We are very happy that you were satisfied during your stay and we are waiting forward to seeing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki!

bucharest
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice: in August 20II and July 20I2, every time for one night (transit). As I mentioned, the hotel is OK for one or two nights: nice location (waterfront, but not so noisy, closed enough to the downtown), a lot of parking places in front of the hotel (safe and free), old furniture, but comfortable and in good condition. It is a good hotel for transit or business trip (budget 70 euro triple room)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
marina_1206, Owner at Hotel Queen Olga, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after staying with us.

We are pleased that you have been satisfied during your stay.

We are looking forward to seeing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki.