“GREAT STAY WITH A PERSONAL TOUCH”
Review of Hotel Queen Olga

Hotel Queen Olga
Ranked #32 of 58 Hotels in Thessaloniki
Sofia, Bulgaria
“GREAT STAY WITH A PERSONAL TOUCH”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I loved the friendly staff. Was on a smoking floor. This hotel is very reasonably priced, in a wonderful location, and has perfect service. Rooms have a lot of space and light which I enjoyed very much as Thessaloniki is a sunny city. The hotel is at the seafront, close to center and yet far away from the city noise. The beds were not very comfortable but the room was clean. It definitively is a class better that its stars.It as well has a free and reliable Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose any room with a sea view. It is right on the sea front so the devine view is a promis.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after staying with us.

We are happy that you were satisfied during your stay.

Please note that all your comments were forwarded to our General Manager and I would like to inform you that we have already started solving the problem of our beddings, so if you stay with us again, please inform Reception in case you experience the same problem in order to have a room change.

I am at your disposal for anything you might need and I am waiting forward to seing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki!

Thank you.

Yours Sincerrely,

Managing Partner - Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed five nights in April 2013, on a non-smoking floor. This hotel is very reasonably priced, in a good location, and has good service. We wanted extra hangers and towels and were brought some right away by a very nice member of the housekeeping staff.

I could not get the wi-fi to work in my room, but they do have a public computer with internet in the lobby.

I have to agree with some of the reviews that say the beds can be uncomfortable--the beds in my room were a bit like Ikea cots, with about a six-inch mattress on a frame, no box spring. I woke up with a stiff back most mornings. The sheets were nicely pressed and starched but scratchy.

The breakfast buffet in the hotel consists of eggs, fruit, yogurt, breads, feta, olives, juice, and coffee you make yourself in from a machine (coffee, expresso, etc.). I enjoyed it and it was convenient.

During our first two days we ended up eating dinner twice at the restaurant advertised and promoted by the hotel, The Lazy Lizard, simply because it was right there. The food was just okay and the drinks were very expensive. We discovered there is a much better place to eat across the street just slightly up the block--a seafood restaurant decorated in a blue and white motif. Although the menu is in Greek the waitstaff can translate for you and they are wonderfully attentive. We heard from a local that the hotel owner and Lazy Lizard owner may be related, which could explain why the hotel would partner with such a mediocre restaurant.

This was a very good buy, and I'd stay again, but next time I'd know to pack bathroom extras like a washcloth, conditioner, and a mild soap for my face. There was a soap dispenser by the sink, a shampoo dispenser above the tub, and towels provided. And I would definitely skip the Lazy Lizard.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking floor, and if possible, a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank feministdramaturg
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property after staying with us.

Please note that all your comments have been forwarded to our General Manager.
We are happy that you were generally satisfied during your stay.
We would like to inform you about the following:

We are sorry that you could not connect in our WiFi. We understand how frustrating this can be and this is why, in such cases, guests inform the Reception Staff and then they inform our outside IT technician in order to come and try to help them connect or fix whatever problem exists in order for the guest to be able to connect.

Concerning the problem with the "stiff back" that was caused because of the beds, I would like to inform you that we are taking into serious account our guests' comments and we have started replacing the problematic mattresses. Also, I would like to add that our beds and mattresses are not IKEA brand, but are bought from a professional hotel furniture supplier.
In case you stay with us again, please take this facts into account and please do inform our Reception Staff in order to plan a room change.

I am glad that you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet and I would like to inform you that all Greek hotels are obliged by Law to have a minimum standard of items in the buffet (depending on their stars). Depending on the fasting period, we add some extras. The full list is below just for your information:

Toast Bread white and wholemeal ,Small bagguet white and whole wheat, Butter Croissant, Salty Pastries, small Sausages (during winter time), Omelet or Scrambled Eggs, Boiled Eggs, Yellow Cheese, Meats (turkey, pork shoulder, pariza), Feta cheese, marmalade in individual plastic trays, Honey in individual plastic trays, Yogurt, Cake, Fresh Milk, Cereals, Orange Juice, Multi-Coffe Machine (Espresso, Capuccino etc) and Fresh Fruits.

Concerning your comments about the Cafe-Bar-Restaurant "Lazy Lizard", which is right next door to Queen Olga Hotel, I would like to inform you that it is owned by my family (as well as the hotel) and it is a family business (as well as the hotel) and this is why we promote it to our guests.

As you were informed during check-in, the restaurant offers special discount to the hotel's guests and also a special discounted menu. We try to offer the best service and food quality we can and always try to increase out guests' satisfaction. So, we would really appreciate it if you take some more time and send us some refined feedback and/or reccommendations or exact comments that lead you to the characterization of "such a mediocre restaurant." (This is by the way a characterization that is hardly ever received by our guests.) The goal is to localise the possible problems and improve.

I need to apologise for my long answer, but I find it incredibly necessary to inform our guests about some issues even after their stays, so that they have a clearer image of why some things are the way they are.

Please note that I am at your disposal for anything you might need to discuss or reccommend.

Marina Triantafyllou
Skopje, Macedonia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel. Rooms have a lot of space and light which I enjoyed very much as Thessaloniki is a sunny city. The hotel is at the seafront, close to center and yet far away from the city noise. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean. It definitively is a class better that its stars compared to other Greek hotels I have visited. It as well has a free and reliable Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

I really enjoyed the cafe bar and restaurant Lazy Lizard at the seafront of the Hotel. Not a typical Greek cuisine, but very unique and very tasty with a touch of style you cannot find frequently in Thessaloniki taverns. Definitely a must try for everyone who stays at the Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us.

We are very happy that you were satisfied during your stay and we are waiting forward to seeing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki!

Have a nice day!

bucharest
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice: in August 20II and July 20I2, every time for one night (transit). As I mentioned, the hotel is OK for one or two nights: nice location (waterfront, but not so noisy, closed enough to the downtown), a lot of parking places in front of the hotel (safe and free), old furniture, but comfortable and in good condition. It is a good hotel for transit or business trip (budget 70 euro triple room)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
marina_1206, Owner at Hotel Queen Olga, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after staying with us.

We are pleased that you have been satisfied during your stay.

We are looking forward to seeing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki.

Have a nice day!

Mariehamn, Finland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I spent two nights in this hotel in early October last year. I came to this hotel without a reservation and my expectations were not very high. I wanted a hotel which would be in the general direction of the airport and still near the centre because, I was told that, the traffic could be heavy. This hotel fulfilled those criteria perfectly. When I entered the reception I felt like moving back some 40-60 years. And a very pleasant move it proved to be. The whole hotel had a wonderful (to a large extent wooden) interior that reminded me of my childhood in those years. I was attended to immediately in the reception and the service was kind, personal and efficient. I knew that one side of the hotel pointed towards the sea and my wish to have a room on that side, was adhered to. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that all the items in the room (and bathroom) were branded with the Hotel's own markings and names. No (cheap) mass products here.. The only meals that I had were breakfasts. The atmosphere from the reception was repeated in the dining room in a pleasant and stylish way. There were clean white cloths on the tables. The assortment of food and drink for breakfast was not overwhelming, but everything that I wanted was there. And the coffee was tasty and hot.
I was impressed by the fact that the staff in the reception addressed me with my surname even though there were many guests there.

Room Tip: As said above, there are rooms with a seaview and there are rooms facing the lively street. I did...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
marina_1206, Owner at Hotel Queen Olga, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after staying with us!

We are happy that you were satisfied during your stay.
Please note that all your comments have been forwarded to our Manager.

We hope to see you soon in one of your trips to Thessaloniki!

Florence, Italy
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stay to that hotel because it was close to a friends house. The Hotel is really old with some rooms renovated. My room on the first floor was "renovated" but old (not modern) and clean enough. The biggest problem for me was that the bed was like Rock. I think that I had the worst sleeping experience ever. In general if you are looking for a low-reasonable price hotel to Thessaloniki for spending some nights its ok.

Room Tip: Choosing NO-SMOKING rooms. Those are renovated.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us.

We are very sorry that your were not satisfied during your stay.
Please note that your comments have been forwarded to our Manager.

Please note that in such cases, we expect the guests to report the bad experience that they have had on site so that we make the respective ckecks and actions to normalise if possible/applicable the effect.

We hope to see you again in one of your trips to Thessaloniki and we hope that next time we will satisfy all your needs for a comfortable stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your reservation.

Managing Partner

Travelers are raving about these Thessaloniki hotels

Athens, Greece
Reviewed January 7, 2013

i and my boyfriend stayed there for 3 nights. I love it's location, near the beautiful coast of thessaloniki. i have stayed there 3 times , beacause of it's good price , location and adequate cleanness. The staff is friendly.kind of uncomfortable beds and pillows. Dont order room service. Too expensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
marina_1206, Owner at Hotel Queen Olga, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your review!

We are happy that you were satisfied during your stay in our property.

Please note that I have forwarded your comments to our Manager and I would like to inform you that we are continually trying to make everything more affordable for our guests, trying to get rid of extra charges that should normally be applied like the Room Service charge.
By Law, Room Service is charged 10% extra on the bill; however, we never charge for Breakfast that is served in the room nor for Room Service Orders (like lunch, dinner or coffee orders in the room).

Please feel free to contact me for anything you might need.

Waiting forward to seeing you in one of your next trips to Thessaloniki!