“Clean, cheap and modern” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Astoria
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Thessaloniki
London, United Kingdom
“Clean, cheap and modern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

I booked a room for one night at the Astoria through Hotels.com before reading the reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor. Seeing the negative reviews, I considered cancelling my booking but I read on the hotel's website that it had recently been refurbished, plus I realised that the booking was non-refundable because it was a cheap rate, so I decided to stick with it. I'm pleased that I did. The hotel was clean and modern, if somewhat impersonal, and is a good, cheap option in a relatively central location close to the port and the train station.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank lpc1981

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

I booked this hotel through expedia at a cheap rate and because it was centrally located. The room that I was given was very small,very old and stained furniture, worn out linen,looking back into a drab yard, and had pictures on the walls that I found indecent, actually intolerable for any hotel except if it caters to a certain clientele. I complained and asked to change room, but the other one was equally drab and the air-conditioning was not working. They told me that I could take the pictures down if I didn't like them. I have taken photographs of them but do not wish to post them in public.
Breakfast was of mediocre quality, the receptionist rude, overall a disgrace for Greece, my native country.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank avid_traveler_8
Paphotels S, Director of Sales at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, May 25, 2015
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay.

We greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of the room. We wanted to inform you that a major renovation of the ASTORIA took place in 2009 and since then all year around maintenance is undertaken in all rooms as our main priority is to be able to offer a very well-maintained and comfortable atmosphere.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel again and that you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back to our hotel again. Please email me directly to astoria@papcorp.gr

NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

We booked this hotel because the reviews seemed fairly neutral. When we checked into our room, we were disgusted to find large balls of hair in every single corner of the bathroom. Also, the furniture in the room was so extensively stained, there was a general consensus between the two of us that we would not touch the chairs.
Lastly, the door to our room looked like it had been broken into a few times. When we told the manager, he ignored our complaint.

• Stayed October 2008
Dear Valued Guest

We greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of the room. We wanted to inform you that a major renovation of the ASTORIA took place in late 2009 and since then all year around maintenance is undertaken in all rooms as our main priority is to be able to offer a very well-maintained and comfortable atmosphere.

Orlando, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

Astoria Hotel
Tsimiski & 9 Salaminos STR
546 26 THESSALONIKI-HELLAS
astoria@papcorp.gr

I booked thru expedia for 2 nights (Sept 22-24) including breakfast and it was around total of $119. 18 Euro taxi from Airport. 5 Euro to Train Station.

Positives:
-Breakfast (eggs, toasts, milk, water, fruits, yogurt, sweets, etc, etc)
-Service..the lady that works in the evening was nice, when I first got there she gave me a horrible room on Floor #2, it had a whole in the wall and it was facing the noisy street and it was around 11PM, I went downstairs and told her that I needed a different room (inside, no street noise) and she moved me to 313. Also, the guys serving on the dining breakfast room are very nice and helpful.
-CNN/Movie TV

Negatives
-Smell of the whole floor (3rd floor) like everyone in that room was smoking
-Repairs that started around 7:30AM
-Phone, too old, it didnt work to check my US phone calls since the "*" didnt work
-Noisy street, ask for an internal room and have a "lovely=ugly" view of a side building but at least you can sleep
-Location, is about 10 blocks from the White Tower, 11 blocks from the Museums....I saw other hotels closer to the main areas....and I am sure it will be similar quality/value so no point of staying on that side of town
-If you need to check out and then pick up your bags, they leave your bags under the stairs, they put a tag(if you ask the man in the morning to please give you a tag, that guy seem to be in low energy ALL the time), and then you pick it up at the end of the day. Nothing happened to my bags, but I was concerned during the 5 hrs that I left my bags.

I will not be booking this hotel again, unless i can't find anything better, and I think there are plenty of other options, I saw lots of hotels in that main Thessaloniki street.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — hotel
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Willebroek, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for a few days for a congress. The hotel was booked and payed for by our company so it's hard to say how price relates to comfort.

The breakfast buffet was nothing special, but certainly sufficient. Coffee was terrible, but I noticed it to be terrible everywhere in Thessaloniki, so maybe it's just something regional.

The room was clean but a bit old fashioned. There were a lot of lose or broken tiles in the bathroom which was somehow disturbing.

I wouldn't go to this hotel if you're looking for a wonderfull holiday, but it's good enough when you're in Thessaloniki for a congres. It's not to far away from the historic city centre, and even though you're staying on a large avenue, you didn't had the noise of cars.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

When I arrived at Astoria it was about 2:30 PM and my room was not ready yet. The reception girl said i should wait about 10-15 min. In fact it took them 1 hour to prepair the room. The check-in process was too slow - there were 2-3 guests before me, the receptionist was only one and she was trying to serve the guests, to pick up the telephone (it was ringing all the time) and to coordinate the room preparation at the same time.

Finally the room was ready and I entered. There was a terribly strong smell of cleaning preparations. The furniture and technics were old - I was afraid to use the air-conditioner as i have never seen such old machine. The floor was terracotta with a small piece of carpet between the two beds, rather a door-mat. In two words - not cosy at all.

It was narrowly In the bathroom and there was no soap. The sink conduit was a little stuffed. But I have to admit that everything was really clear.

I went out for a long walk over the city and when I came back my room was filled with cigarette smoke from some of the next rooms. I opened the window for 10 minutes and it seemed the room was aired. Later, when I came back after dinner, it was smoky again. When I came back home I found out that all of my luggage was steeped in that awful smell.

In the morning I woke up earlier than I had to because down on the busy street there was a traffic policeman who was blowing with a wistle for several hours. The window was noise-isolated but not enough to ensure me a sound sleep.

In general - the staff was polite, the hygiene was ok, but the organisation, furniture and room facilities were poor.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Paphotels S, Manager at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, May 25, 2015

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2007

With this hotel, a lot of things went wrong from the beginning. I booked the hotel from though their own website and they sent me an offer by e-mail. I confirmed the offer but for some reason they didn't get my e-mail at all. Eventually after e-mailing them in all 3 different e-mail addresses I could find, they confirmed my booking 3 weeks later.

I was welcomed to the hotel by a lovely young man with long hair and the check-in was very smooth. He was the only one in the hotel who was at least trying to be helpful and who I was very happy with.

The first evening it was raining and I wanted something to eat, so I made a mistake in going to the hotel restaurant. I ordered a caesar salad and some rosé wine, but ended up with a greek salad and red wine. It's very cheap tho..

The breakfast was very poor. On their room service menu it says that the breakfast is included in the price so I go down there and have 2 sandwiches and a glass of juice (which is about what they have left), no one offers me coffee or tea. Waitress comes over and just stands there for a while. She asks for my room number and then goes away. She comes back and tells me that the breakfast is not included in my room rate. I tell her to charge it to my room account since I don't have time to sort it out now, but she insists that I wait until she charges it and I have to sign the receipt. I ended up paying 15 EUR for a buffet that was nearly out of everything.

In my room I have one electrcal plug and it didn't work. I had to disconnect the minibar to be able to use my straighteningboard and chargers. I informed a lady in the reception about it but she was very reluctant in doing anything about it. She wouldn't even write it down. She just said "use another plug" so I told her that I disconnected the minibar, which turned out to be a horrible mistake and I shouldn't do that.

Later that evening a friend of mine tried to call me from the reception but I couldn't hear the telephone at all. Turns out the phone wasn't working either. They fixed that the next day.

The room was ok size, a single bed which was not very comfortable. I didn't sleep well on any night, but at least my room was quiet and I liked that fact that I was able to lock the door. The safe is not free of charge, you need a key from the reception. There's no luggage room in the hotel, so if you want to leave your luggage for the day, it'll be put in a corner right opposite the front door. Not a very good idea.

The check-out was very slow, the woman was on the phone and took her time. Part of the slowness was also that the charging manchines can be a bit slow with foreign credit cards. The only thing the lady asked me during the whole check-out was "anything from the minibar?"

In general it's an ok hotel in a good location, it's walking distance to the shops and the main sights, also to the train station, the bus station is a 2EUR taxiride away. The women in the reception were quite rude to me but the men are not. I guess that's a normal greek mentality so please be patient with them.

• Liked — the lovely man with long hair in the reception
  • Disliked — basic stuff not working, the restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo