TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Open today: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Recommended experiences in and around Thessaloniki
from $51.16
from $73.90
from $261.48
More Info
All reviews from spain second world war ww ii grave stones on display audio guide jews population auschwitz nazi history contribution gravestones tragedy shoah germans city
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

if you are in Thessaloniki, you must visit this museum. Very well presented. very interesting.Alot of artifacts were found after the war.

Date of experience: September 2019
jmth2001, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 10, 2019

I've travelled to 55 countries and been to Jewish museums around the world including the Holocaust museums in Jerusalem and Berlin. I felt so unwelcome here that I decided not to enter. I was asked for my passport and when I said that I didn't carry my passport with me when going shopping or going to museums, I was made to feel like I was mad! I told the guy that this had never happened to me before even when going to Jewish museums elsewhere ~ he then very reluctantly let me in. At the ticket office, I asked if I could pay with a card and the answer was a flat 'no'. When I said that in every other museum in the city, I had been able to pay with a credit card, there was an 'emotionless shrug' of the shoulders. I reached for some cash but then decided that if this was the 'welcome' I was going to get then I wasn't interested. The contents of the museum are probably fantastic but customer service is appalling. So be warned...

Date of experience: September 2019

Fisrt of all thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you felt unwelcome. For any complaint please send an email to the Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki.

Reviewed September 8, 2019

I really wanted to see this museum. It was marked on the tourist map and we had google maps. We searched and searched. We asked shopkeepers nearby, but nobody knew where it was. The street signs are non-existent, or if there in Greek (of course). After about an hour of searching in the heat we gave up, disappointed. Not sure if it is well signed out front or not, but we couldn't find it.

Date of experience: August 2019
jmth2001, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

We are sorry that you couldn't manage to see the Museum, but in the google maps there is the address and also has directions how to go to the Museum. We hope you will visit again Thessaloniki and you will visit it eventually.

Reviewed September 5, 2019

This museum will teach you a lot about the Jews of Thessaloniki, the only diaspora community which was once half Jewish. This is truly remarkable, considering how small the worldwide Jewish population is compared to other major religions. Two thousand years of Greek Jewish life came to a halt when the Nazis invaded. This museum is both educational and historical, and a tribute to the Jewish community of Saloniki, as well as a monument to those who perished by genocide. The community still exists, albeit much shrunk down in side. Your ticket will also get you in two two nearby synagogues.

1  Thank Brynndabella

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed August 25, 2019

Small museum recording history of Jews in Thessaloniki. Well laid out with decent collection of items from once great Jewish community.

Date of experience: August 2019
jmth2001, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2019

Tomorrow the museum will open the doors to the new department. We hope to come again to visit the Museum and you can see the Museum bigger than you saw it. Thank you for your review.