“Excellent hostel within walking distance of city centre”
Review of Little Big House

and 1 more site!
Little Big House
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Little Big House an excellent, charming hostel within walking distance of the centre of Thessaloniki. The staff are extremely helpful and answered all of our questions about the local area. The hostel is very attractively decorated, clean and secure. Lockers are provided. Our dorm had its own kitchenette and en suite bathroom. Staff provided very detailed instructions for finding hostel when first arriving in Thessaloniki.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank thameswanderer

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The decor is done with obvious care and understanding of travellers needs (personal lamps next to each bed), the beds are soft and comfy, the rooms and common areas are spotlessly clean, there are fridges, cooking and coffee/tea making facilities in every dorm, secure lockers for each guest, the 2euro breakfasts are great, washing is 2euro, the picnic area is welcoming and a great place to meet fellow travellers over a cheap beer, the location in the old town feels like a small greek village and is walking distance from the city (uphill walks are good after over-eating all the amazing food available), and the value for money is excellent.
The staff are exceptionally helful and griendly and I was totally hooked on the unlimited free nescafe frappes!
This is by far the best hostel my partner and I have ever stayed in (and between us we have travelled to Japan, NZ, Australia, Vietnam, Malaysia, India, Nepal, Egypt, Cyprus, Jordan, Lebanon, Dubai and Oman). We actually stayed here all 3 of the times we passed through Thessoloniki.
Stay here if you get the opportunity - I wish they were in every country!
Note - book early if its a weekend.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor at the front has the biggest shower, the downstairs (6-bed) has the smallest.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nomadiq2
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I was looking for a nice hostel to spend a few nights in Thessaloniki and ended up booking Little Big House as all reviews I found were pretty good.

The hostel was easy to find since after I made my booking I received an email from the owners with useful info, maps, photos and directions to the place.

Once I arrived I was greeted with a drink and some sweets by Vicky, one of the two friendly owners of the place. I felt "at home" directly. The place is nicely decorated, modern and very clean. I soon met other travelers as the hostel isn't big and most people hang out by the terrace at night.

Vicky and her brother Harris were very helpful, friendly and funny. They helped me booking my train ticket to Athens and advised me some nearby beaches to visit. They also offer free tea and coffee all day. As for the breakfast, it isn't included but you can get it for a 2 € fee. They also offer laundry service for a small fee.

I booked a 4 bed dorm with a balcony, ensuite bathroom and a small kitchen. It was actually made of two rooms so there was space enough for everyone. The lockers were big enough to fit a backpack. There was a fan in each room and each bed had its own little reading light.

The area is only a 15'walk from downtown, it was also quiet and felt safe at night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank frosti2001
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This hostel is more like a guests house!
There is nothing about it to just give you the impression that you have been accomodated, thank you, here is the money.
The very concept of this hostel was based on the ideea of welcoming, sharing and helping and you really feel this every moment.
The rooms are nice, clean, spacious, with balcony, fully-equipped and cosy. Nota bene for the extra lights next to every bed! Tea and coffee free all day long and an orange tree just in front of the gate, full of oranges - that made my day !
What i liked very much was the location - the one and only Ano Poli! Imagine Santorini meets Montmartre but in a very genuine greek way! All you have to do is keep walking down the path to the Rotonda Church and you will be amazed by the only part of the town that has not been destroyed by the great fire of 1917 - very beautiful.
However, i can't finish this review without mentioning the true achievment of this place : the owners! Vicky and Harris are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful and everything they do is in the benefit of the travellers. Thank you very much for a wonderful stay! I will be back, even to say hello!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank manuel_munteanu
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Vicky and Harry have been really good host! Thank you! (: We arrived really late in the night but instead of experiencing the 'lets get down to business' attitude, we were greeted by Harry who warmly welcomed us. He showed us our room which was superb. Vicky, who was equally warm greeted us in the morning and introduced the city to us. Though it was a little exciting for us four girls to be taking the bus from SKG so late in the night, the stay here is super worth it. I am sure you would enjoy it as much as we did (:

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank l0vegreen
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Located in a historic part of the city near the old Byzantine city walls, about a 10 min walk from city centre - this place is a little gem and was effortlessly the best place I've stayed in Greece.

On arriving Vicky served us free iced coffee and cake (both delicious) while we checked in. She was also very knowledgable regarding the local nightlife and airport buses - even giving us a map with directions and suggestions written on.

The room itself was a good size with kitchen facilities, balcony and comfortable beds. Part of the house is also a hostel where we met some interesting characters (in a good way!).

On checkout we met Vicky's brother Harris, who offered us iced coffee again - we get the impression they offer it whenever you visit reception!

It was a shame we had to leave so soon, will certainly be back next time I'm in that part of the world!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Fruitbeard115
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Little Big House for a couple nights while traveling through Europe this September. We will never forget the great times had hanging out at the picnic table eating and drinking with new friends. Vicki was an amazing host, bringing us free snacks and cheap beer till the wee hours of the morning. She was also incredibly helpful planning a walking route for us to see all the local sights. If you stay there, be sure to eat at the cafe right down the hill (i forget the name, but the food was amazing, and the staff was very accommodating - translating the menu for us.)
We have stayed in a lot of hostels, and this is our favorite by far.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family