“Standard business class hotel - good room but could do better”

Holiday Inn Thessaloniki
Ranked #29 of 58 Hotels in Thessaloniki
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just back from another one night stop over at the Holiday Inn Thessaloniki in transit from the Greek Sporades islands. We have stayed here many times and they certainly attract an eclectic mix of guests - last year it was the Greek riot police this year the Libyan medical tourists. Hotel not in the best location but 10/10 for the staff who are uber helpful and pleasant - especially on reception. Slight delay at the bar when ordering drinks but not bad and the lady behind the bar did apologise. Breakfast acceptable but a bit pricey and could do with being 10 EUROs rather than 15 EUROs as the orange juice is from a machine and the bread tasted quite processed. We stayed on a Rewards night which usually gives you a fairly standard room but we were upgraded to a suite so cant complain. Room was spotless and bathroom spotless too so was surprised to read others comments on rooms not being clean. I did sense the disapproval of the Muslim men to my wearing shorts in the bar but I didnt get any hassle (maybe because I was with my husband!). If I was here on a longer stay and didnt stay on a Reward night would probably stay elsewhere closer to local attractions in more central location. However, for a one night stop ideal for our needs as its on the direct bus route from the KTEL bus station and the airport. Although not the most scenic area of Thessaloniki we have never felt nervous or seen any problems in the area and we have arrived very late at the hotel on many occassions.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesnt fac the road & on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Wendy M

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I think that was my worst IHC experience so far.
The location is quite central, but in a very neglected area. A Hugh metro construction site is located right in front of the main entrance. I was told the metro will not be ready before 2016!
The lobby gives an impression of traveling back in the 80's.
I was given a room overlooking the shaft, where all a/c compressors were installed, having a terrible noice all night.
The bathroom needs renovation.
The hotel was full of noisy Lybian refugees!
And on top I woke up in the middle of the night, after a cockroach was walking on my back.
Never again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Stevy1971,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed June 9, 2012

City center location, little noisy but clean with reasonable rates,
Downside was no free breakfast and tricky rear parking with additional parking fees !
Great and helpful front desk staff..

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed 5minutes walking distance from in Holidayinn during my 3-stay visit to Thessaloniki.Nice hotel with convenient location,Friendly stuff, rich breakfasr and comfortable rooms!No free internet thought...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This hotel is pretty acceptable. I stayed in a double room for one night that was considerably small but clean, functional and convenient. The neighborhood was not really entertaining or so.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 17, 2012

During my recent stay to Thessaloniki, I stayed at this nice hotel. My room was clean with lots of amenities and I enjoyed my sleep at a comfortable bed mattress with a pillow I chose from a menu.
There was sufficient variety of breakfast assortments. Personnel was very polite and helpful (especially people at the Restaurant).
All in all, this is a decent business hotel at a good central location.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Thessaloniki is a very interesting city as many in Greece. First impression nice building but lots if dust for the excavation(arheologycal) immediately outside. Second impression: I was threaten by many lybian guests in the hotel entrance. I travel to this city in order to attend an important european medical congress. My flight was delay and arrived by midnight so imagined when you arrive to a hotel as HIG supposed to be, at least, a business class, full of Africans threaten women in the main entrance!!! Many of them where drunk.
Service at the front desk is OK but when you arrive to your room you look an old fashion decoration. old furniture, carpet full of dust as curtains looks like need at least to be taken away and send to laundry. Smells awful dust and cigar!!!
I was given a room in the right side of the building. It hs not a good view at all.
It's the first time I arrive to a HIG hotel and I se the curtains full of dust!!! They supposed to be white and look grey. Same thing with the carpet suponer to be beige bit útil was full of grey sports and dust.
Bed was ok and sheets and towels clean everyday. Bathroom was very old fashioned, toilette was not really clean and the plate of the lavatory was full of spots and I thin it need to be polished. Good water pressure and the basic amenities were fine.
Restaurant serves at breakfast a buffet. Good yogourth, bread coffe, juices come from a machine. Take car of the fruit in a cocktail I tried but it was starting to ferment. The rest is ok.
This hotel guests lybian citizens that come over to Thessaloniki's major hospital which is not far from the allocation to medical services, so you see many of them in the restaurant and most of the time is impossible to enjoy in the lobby area because it is full of them making noise and threaten any woman who is near and is not dressed as Muslim style. They try all the time to have a contact with occidental women and don't respect cultural differences, so in my opinion thi is not the best option to go if you are a woman and go to Thessaloniki or if you want to arrive to a calm and nice place on holidays.

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Loftron,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I am glad you liked our breakfast buffet as well as our helpful staff. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to the noise from our other guests and that you were not fully satisfied with the overall conditions of the hotel.

Janice A.