“very pleased we went.”

Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Sithonia
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“very pleased we went.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My family & I have just returned from a 5 day stay at the athena pallas village we were worried about going after reading the bad reviews & went with some trepidation but out fears were groundless.

on our arrival we were told we had been upgraded to bungalow accomadation which we found to be extremely comfortable. the room was large with a large seating area & a very comfortable superkingsize bed (not just two singles pushed together) , there was even a log burner for when the winter nights got cold, my husband longed to be able to light one but the weather wasn't cold enough!
the bathroom was nice & modern & gained extra points for having a window (when was the last time you had a window in a hotel bathroom) the cleaners did a very good job of turning our messy room into a neat & tidy room the bed & towels were changed daily.

the b ungalow area had their own pool which we did swim in one day although the water was freeezing. The umbrellas around the pool each had a room number on so everyone had their own area which I thought was a good idea.
The staff were friendly & the food good my only gripe would be that the dining room was understaffed the waiters were rushing around doing their best but I would hope there would be more staff on in the height of the season.
all in all we had a lovely stay & I don't know what all the bad reviews were about as we have nothing but praise for the hotel & will recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank margaret22mcleod
Athenapallas, Guest Relations Manager at Acrotel Athena Pallas Village, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Athena Pallas Village and share with our audience here your impressions.

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at our bungalow. We hope next time you stay with us, perhaps during spring or autumn, the weather would encourage you to light our fireplace too!

Your suggestion about the dining room requiring more stuff during peak season, has already been noted and our new and Maitre has made the appropriate setting arrangements.

We constantly aim to improve our services and products and contributions such as yours give us valuable information towards fulfilling this commitment.

Thank you once more for taking the time to write this review.

We wish you the best and we look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel in the future.

The Athena Pallas Village Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at The Athena Pallas Village for 2 weeks, from the middle of October.
The hotel reception looks impressive & deserving of it's 5 stars, however, upon further inspection, it sadly isn't up to 5 star.
HOTEL ACCOMMODATION:
Our first room was basic, & clearly intended for two people & not the three we'd booked for. My son had been allocated the sofa bed, which left us very little space to move & certainly no privacy. The room contained two pairs of slipper, two robes (both too small for us adults) two sets of towels, two glasses...... surprisingly, NO KETTLE! Luckily I took my travel version.
The hair dryer & a faulty light were both quickly replaced upon request. All rooms seem to have showers only. Remember not to flush loo roll, but to use the bin provided (Eew!!)
CLEANLINESS:
We found all areas of the hotel very clean.
POOLS:
The pools contained many leaves. The jacuzzi section of the Armonia pool didn't work. The pools certainly didn't have that strong chlorine smell that UK pools have, although I did see someone tipping some powder in to the pool one morning. Both my Son & I got foot infection while we were there - not sure if this was pool related, but my partner was fine & he didn't swim. Take some Tea Tree oil with you in case! (Anti-biotics can be bought over the counter in Greece by the way.)
Beach/pool towels are available. First go to reception & complete a form. You are then given a card, to take to the main pool bar. Swop the cards for towels. At the end of your stay, reverse the process & wait while the bar person shuffles through a pile of cards, looking for yours! I bet this system works really well during peak times......... If you want a clean beach towel, there's a 1 euro charge. If you loose your card, there's also a charge.
FACILITIES:
A phrase we heard a lot, was "Not in the winter." A lot of the hotels facilities were closed.
Three out door pools, one for exclusive use by the maisonettes, but only one pool bar open.
The souvenir shop was only open a few hours a day, & then had a "Closed today" sign on the door more than once. The jewellery shop was closed, the kids club was closed. The Taverna (open 1pm - 5pm) promises "a weekly scheduled programme of dancing entertainment & traditional Greek buffet nights take place every Friday" - but not during the winter. Roof garden? Closed. Wine tasting? Where??
The main bar appeared closed most of the time, but occasionally, we found the door unlocked. The system seems to be that if you go in & wait in the dark room (lights on behind the bar only,) someone would eventually appear & put the lights on & serve you!
The pool bar attendant, was also the main bar attendant (at the same time - think "Carry on Abroad.....) No idea how the management thinks one person can mind two bars, so far apart, up steps, through reception etc. Totally silly!
I say "winter," but while I laid by the pool on a sun bed, soaking up the 30 degrees of glorious sunshine, workmen were collecting up the sunbeds & parasols & storing them away! In fact, the tunnel from the hotel to the beach, is so full of sunbeds & parasols, it's only just possible to squeeze past! Oh yes, the beach. Hmmm! A narrow strip of say, 15ft? of sand & stone. Not the best beach, but there are many much nicer ones nearby.
Cinema, 3 films a day are shown, so long as someone turns up to watch. Unfortunately, the film we wanted to see, although British made, was shown in French, with sub titles in a language I couldn't identify. Apart from us, I'm fairly sure all of the other guests were German. Hotel staff were unable to tell us if any of the films were either in English or had English sub titles.
The hotel Spa is extremely smelly. We only walked through on the way to the indoor pool, but the smell spills in to the recreation area, situated in the hotel basement under reception. (Table football, snooker, bowling lanes)
FOOD;
We booked B&B only luckily. A vast range of Breakfast was available, but the hot food sadly wasn't hot.
Expect Boiled eggs (4mins & 8mins,) omelette or scrambled egg/fried eggs, fried potatoes, gigantica beans in sauce (think baked beans on speed!!) Continental sausage, Grilled tomatoes. Bread, toast, yoghurt (strawberry & Greek) tinned fruit, jam, marmalade, nutella, honey, 4 cereals, dried fruits, ham, cheeses, salad, SOUP (yes, honestly!) 3 different juice drinks, teas, coffee inc Greek coffee, hot chocolate. When the hotel filled up, the freshness & quality improved & included pancakes, which were yummy!
Lunch can be taken at the hotels Taverna. Despite being the first table in, we were served last & waited 1 hr 15 mins for our food. My Son & I, each had the daily special, but his food was completely different to mine. When my husband was eventually served - long after we'd finished eating, the traditional Greek fish dish, which turned out to be Deep fried Cod in Batter & Chips, with a dollop of garlic sauce, was still unfortunately still raw.
Evening food at The Doxato, was very school dinnerish. We tried it a couple of times, but found it very poor. The smell alone was off putting.
SERVICE?STAFF:
Without exception, the staff were great! They try very hard to overcome the hotels inadequacies.
Waiting staff very quick & efficient, especially after a few euros! Receptionists lovely, bar staff great, cleaners, excellent! (Gift shop woman, grumpy, but she feeds the cats, so still gets my vote!)
The hotel manager however, never called me as requested, preferring to pass to me via the receptionist.
During our second week, my Son was asked to leave the indoor pool as it's apparently only available to children from 12noon - 2pm (It didn't say this anywhere.) There was no one else in the pool, but rules are rules! By this time, we were getting very bored & had a good moan at reception. We asked to see the manager, but she was unavailable. We made various points about the lack of facilities. (Also, the fact that the booklets in our room was useless, as they quote summer facilities & times throughout. The accurate info, was only available at reception - surely a quick fix??)
The next day, we were asked to visit reception to discuss our "points." I was told that I should be reminded that the hotel had accommodated us by allowing us to have 3 people in a room for 2!!! WHAT????? SHOCKED!! WE wanted accommodation for 3. We booked accommodation for 3. We paid for accommodation for 3. Putting a sheet on the sofa bed was apparently a favour to us!!! I pointed out that the room was still set for 2, (robes, slippers, towels, glasses......) Later that day, a waiter delivered to our room, a complimentary bottle of wine (no corkscrew) & a fruit basket, with 2 glasses, 2 plates & 2 sets of cutlery.
My son was however offered 2 hours a day, free internet, worth 6 euros. (I've never had to pay for internet at any other 5 star hotel.)
After our fiasco taverna lunch, we were asked to visit reception again. We were then offered a free massage for my partner & myself which we declined, & also offered a free upgrade to the maisonettes - which we gladly accepted!
MAISONETTES
A group of 22 stone & log cabin buildings, situated around a "private" pool. Accessed through an electronic vehicular gate, or on foot, through a gate marked for use "for maisonettes only" that all & sundry walked through.
These have a separate double room, plus a twin galleried room. A lounge with a day bed, TV's in the lounge & main bedroom, plus a log burner.
Still only a shower (our only ran very cool.) Still no kettle.They are furnished to a much higher standard & even the quality of the complimentary slippers were superior! lol!
Each maisonette has a large porch area, with patio furniture & a raised seating area, great for lounging. Each porch, opened up on to the pool. One maisonette, has it's own pool, but it's tiny & not very private.
I would certainly be happy to pay more to stay in the maisonettes. Downside is that without the pool bar being open, it's a heck of a hike to get a drink.
LOCATION;
Here's where the hotel gets a huge fat ZERO!
Although the Sithonian coastline is enchantingly beautiful, there are only so many holiday pictures you want of the same thing.
Within walking distance, there is an acceptable Taverna. (It closes mid October.) Turn left out of the hotel & walk a few hundred yards, it's on the right. The food here is miles better than at the hotel.
About 2km from the hotel, in the same direction, is another Taverna, over looking the sea. This is only open at weekends during "winter," but served the best food we found in the region.
There's also a bus stop. That's it. No cafes, no bars, no shops, NOTHING! No evidence of anything else either. A car made this holiday bearable, but we really love to walk.
NEARBY;
A small town, Nikiti is 7km in one direction. There's a smattering of shops here, including 5 honey shops! Most shops & restaurants are closed during "winter." We tried 5 different restaurants, none stunning, but the best place by far, was a bakery on the main road (Something COC??) They served a great range of drinks, chocolates, pastries & cakes & were very reasonable. We visited many times for tea & cakes & usually paid around 3 euros each. 3 good supermarkets, including Lidl.
9km in the opposite direction is Neo Mamaris. Larger than Nikiti, but still mainly closed. The best place we found to eat here, was a street cafe called Pegasus. (Red blinds, orange chairs.) Lovely owner/chef. Without exception, the food was fresh & delicious. The walnut Baklava was the best ever. The taramasalata was also the best we found. He really made us feel welcome.
CONCLUSION:
Would I return to this hotel? Unlikely! & certainly not in "the winter!" Simply not enough to do for 2 weeks, unless laying by the pool is your thing. We travelled the area quite thoroughly & regularly felt disappointed.

Room Tip: Seriously consider paying more, to stay in a maisonette.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jacbelbar
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Athena Pallas Village to such length.

We have made all necessary replacements and additions to room and bathroom amenities in accordance with yours and other guest's constructive comments. Regarding facilities, those are communicated effectively giving the guest all the information necessary to make a decision on whether to book with us. As per the service charges, we believe that these are clearly communicated prior and during the visit of guests and relate to operational effectiveness and environmental sustainability issues.

Your points for clearer signage have been noted and duly attended. We understand your disappointment in finding the neighbouring area to the hotel less vibrant as it would have been during mid season. Our commitment to invite and attract more people towards the end of the season is a challenging process that the whole local community is making steady steps towards rectifying by extending it into the autumn. Regarding the food element, we have now appointed a new chef who has been redesigning the whole catering experience by taking into account all of our guests' observations whilst we have replaced the Maitre with a far more experienced one. As per the incident at reception following your dispute, we have now improved out booking system to avoid any future misunderstandings regarding all the particular details for each booking.

We are very grateful for any feedback we receive from visitors to our hotel. We carefully examine all comments we receive and are always looking at ways to improve the hospitality experience for our guests. Your every point has been taken in to account and has contributed a great deal in making the necessary positive changes.

Should you wish to reconsider Athena Pallas Hotel for your holidays in the future, we would be pleased to talk to you directly and resolve any of your concerns.

Kragujevac, Serbia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We heard a lot of good reviews from the last year about this hotel. But now, we are disappointed. I mean it is OK, but not good value according the price.
Staff is doing its best, but… beach dirty, swimming pool smelly, food poor, towels old…
Not coming back here.

Room Tip: We were at Armonia suites. It has a nice view to the swimming poll and the see.
13 Thank Marija S
Thank you for taking the time to review Athena Pallas Village.

We have addressed all issues regarding room and bathroom amenities with new replacements and additions where necessary. Regarding the food element, we have now appointed a new chef who has been redesigning the whole catering experience by taking into account all of our guests' observations whilst we have replaced the Maitre with a far more experienced one.

Athens-Greece
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Guys, this is a good hotel, but whatever they tell you, it IS NOT a 5 stars hotel! I went there with my wife a few days ago and we paid 160 euros per night (half board: bed, breakfast and diner for 2 persons). The hotel is situated in a good spot and there is a nice beach just next to it that many people (especially those without a car) use!
Breakfast was ok, but diner was far below our expectations...
The furniture was old and it obviously needs to be replaced ASAP!
The staff is very polite and they are doing their best in order to keep you satisfied! If you are Greek (like me), you will find it quite annoying that almost everybody in the hotel's restaurant does not speak greek, simply because they are foreigners! The hotel's owner recruits people from eastern Europe simply because he gives them 300 euros per month and they get the job done! So he makes much more money now that he (most of the times) does not recruit greek employees!
The hotel has a central air conditioning system which I would rate as "average"...
People staying at the hotel are from Bulgaria, Serbia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Russia, Romania, Hungary etc And - of course - some Greeks...
As you can imagine, Greek people pay much more money for the same room than any other person from the Balkans or Western Europe! Don't ask me why! It seems that Greeks are "wealthier" than all the other european people...
So, my conclusion is that this hotel needs to change A LOT, but it's a decent hotel as well!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank stargazer1964
Thank you for taking the time to review Athena Pallas Village. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

We believe that our hotel offers a very good value for money option to our guests. Our high season rates are amongst the most competitive of the region among 5 star properties. Regarding your comment on the old furniture, and having received related suggestions from other guests, we have now refurbished parts of the traditional section of our hotel to complement the rural element of the intended styling.

As per your remark on staff being 'foreign', we would like to kindly inform you that the majority of our employees are Greek. This is simply a statistical remark, as we ascribe no real importance in the nationality of our staff, and certainly we do not judge a person's occupational value on the merits of her or his national background. I

n actual fact, we give particular emphasis on accommodating european hospitality students who chose our hotel to carry out their placement and who tend to be particularly energetic in placing the prescribed services we offer at the hart of their passion for the hospitality industry.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Not a five star hotel. We stayed there for a week with our three little kids. You book half board but you can only eat dinner and the quality of the buffet is less than average better if you don't bother to try it there are many nice restaurants around. They give you a beach towel but if you want to change it to a clean one after use you have to pay, to use the safe box in the room you have to pay,to use the sunbeds on the hotel's beach you have to pay. In the rooms you don't expect to find Shampoo,conditioner,hair caps etc as you usually see in a 5 star hotel there's only one liquid soap attached on the wall and that's it. We stayed in a so called family suite ,we asked for a towel hanger thing as the other rooms next to us had,we are still waiting for it. Just for an indication a milkshake in a small plastic cap by the pool will cost you 5 euros. The staff is very friendly apart from one of their supervisors who started a loud argument with us in a very crowded swimming pool bar because we dared to bring a small plate of spaghetti for a kid who just woke up and wanted to watch the magicians show,no respect for the customer by this guy.
I defenately won't go back again and i wouldn't recommend it to others.

10 Thank Iacovos I

We would like to inform you that we have now addressed the food issue. We have appointed a new chef who has been redesigning the whole catering experience by taking into account all of our guests' observations. In terms of the room amenities we have already put in place the necessary additions. As per the service charges, we believe that these are clearly communicated prior to the visit of guests and relate to operational effectiveness and environmental sustainability issues.

Regarding the incident at the pool, the employee in question was reprimanded at the time and is no longer with us due to his unacceptable behaviour.

We would like you to know that providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service, remains at the heart of our mission in managing the Acrotel properties.

We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for Greece and Sithonia in particular with our guests and want you to always walk out the door with your expectations fulfilled and your memories enriched.

If you decide to reconsider Athena Pallas Village for your holidays in the future, we would love to have the opportunity to speak with you, so please contact us directly.

Athena Pallas Village
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have just returned from 2 weeks staying at the Athena Pallas. Although it is clean and pleasant . It is definitely not 5 star ! no toiletries in the bathroom, the towels are old and worn - generally the hotel lacked the facilities one would expect from a 5 star .The rooms are very dark .The plaster in the room we stayed in ( family room) was peeling off the walls and definitely not sound proof!!! the man in the room next door to us snored very loudly some night we were woken by very loud roaring noises!! The meals although were nice - were more or less the same everyday! pork on a stick, salad and chips.The other guests at the hotel often overloaded their plates and wasted food/or took food away in plastic bags or wrapped up in foil.The other guests were very rude. Although the hotel made an effort with themed nights this mainly consisted of some poor soul wailing into a microphone. There was very little for teenagers to do On the up side the staff were very pleasant , courteous and helpful!- I wouldn't recommend this hotel tbh

thessaloniki
Reviewed August 22, 2012

very nice and clean hotel with excellent facilities and service. I visit it every year and i am very pleased with everything. I like most the spa that it has wich is very clean. Eat breakfast and dinner! there are special!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ThessalonikiEvi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sithonia
Acrotel Elea Village
#1 of 3 in Metamorfosi
Eagles Palace
Eagles Palace
#1 of 10 in Ouranoupolis

Been to Acrotel Athena Pallas Village? Share your experiences!