“Good hotel...but”

Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Sithonia
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Good hotel...but”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Me and my family recently stayed to despotiko hotel.We had a great time as it is suitable for families.The room was nice and the space was enough for a family.Βreakfast and dinner was very good and the stuff very polite.The beach was front the hotel and the pool front of the rooms.But...some places is like the have been abandoned....the playgroud....the open air cinema....was not preserved.The pool was not very clean.Anyway I believe with a little more good care can became excellent

1 Thank Tea197

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
thessaloniki
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed in Despotiko with my family and we loved it.
We stayed in one of the renovated rooms which where very comfortable and modern with kitchenette facilities.The breakfast was excellent and the food in general was great.There was even an open air cinema and the beach was just in front of the hotel.
The location is perfect if you want to visit other beaches in Sithonia.Very polite and helpfull stuff.
The environment is ideal for relaxing and I'm sure we will visit it again.

Room Tip: just ask for the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I recently stayed for a few days with my wife and we were satisfied. We stayed at a junior suite (minimal) which basically was a large room, not really a suite. Anyhow, both the room and the bathroom were very spacious. There was no private balcony but there was an "exclusive" terrace for 3 or 4 suites. The (large) terrace was very nice, with lounge-y furniture, even a hot tub. The hotel is built around a very nice garden/pool area. The breakfast was very nice, so was the food from the "taverna". The people working there were all very nice and polite but it's obvious that the hotel is understaffed. The beach, located between camping areas, is excellent and generally it seems like a great place for families with small children. We took a look at the rest of the rooms offered, the so-called apartments, which were also quite spacious but their age was starting to show. I would definitely go back if the prices were 15% down. Finally, wireless internet access was charged (5 euros for 3 days). This is a let-down for my taste, WiFi access should just be available as an amenity. My rating would be 3 and a half out of 5.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimrude
California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We are two families vacationing together, 9 people. 4 kids. We heard from a friend who liked this place so we didn't check with TripAdvisor. It turns out our friend only stayed at one of the 4 Suites which had been totally renovated and even has hot tub there for their use. We ended up in 2 old Loft apartments. One apartment has a bed that is slanted and unusable. The idea of "rustic being a style" has been taken to "rustic the reality".

My friend's family changed to the bungalow after one night. Do NOT stay there if you can help it. The door frames and the window frames are all crooked so insects come in freely. My friend was bitten by mosquitoes badly. The morning breakfast music began blasting at 8:30 right outside her window. She complained and they turned it down a bit the following day but it still wakes you up.

The food served at breakfast is low quality. Everything comes out of a can if possible. The fresh fruit like water melon is fought over the moment the dish came out and the kitchen did not feel like replenishing it often. The eggs were good since they probably came from the nearby farms.

We had lunch there twice and the quality was good. However, it has a tiny kitchen with one man working there. When two groups came in at the same time, the second group has to wait a LONG time for their food.

The is no food available at the pool bar btw meal times and the bartender at the beach was rather rude.

We were given shampoo and soap upon arrival and the maid never replenished anything. I had to go to the front desk several times to ask for supplies. I got them but the lady always said the maid would give us the supplies like it was my fault in asking. There also NO POOL TOWELS.

The pool is nice for the kids to swim in. Some of the chairs around the pool probably sit in mosquito nests. I sat down for 2 minutes and killed 5 Mosquitos. I ran away as fast as I could.

The beach is beautiful and the water is lovely. There is a trailer park and a camping site right on the beach.

At checkout, the lady asked me how I enjoyed the stay. I told her the possible bits and some of the negative bits. I felt the web site was decieving. It totally set the wrong expectation. She got really defensive. Well, if she did not want to hear criticism, then pls don't ask next time.

We won't come back to this place again. However, we feel there is so much potential in this hotel. With the absolute beauty of the beach, the owners can renovate the place, improve service and make it heaven.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 4 suites
8 Thank 4Walkers

Travelers are raving about these Sithonia hotels

Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We visited Despotiko with our 2-year old daughter after a friend's recomendation and a very good offer from Booking.
As I love Sithonia's beaches Despotiko hotel came out as an unexpected surprise. Very well renovated, with style and high quality design,it offers all the amenities for a pleasant journey - especially for families.

Very good breakfast
Big rooms
Close to the sea
Car parking

Insects (esp. mosquitos and very small spiders), as it is located at a virgin area, next to a lake.

Recommended.

5 Thank GiannisAthens
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have some very nice and not so nice memories of the stay. Positive: very nice music at the pool and beach bar, friendly lady working in the beach bar, nice waitor called Janis, availability of sun loungers any time of the day, the pool being empty most of the time, proximity of the beach. Towels get changed every day, linen every other day (in my opinion not ecological and not necessary). There is a stream close to the beach where there are lots of turtles. My daughter loved feeding them.
Negative: insufficient kitchen equipment (only one huge cooking pot and a very small one for coffee, no salad bowl, no wooden spoon or anything for stirring, only 1 butter/cutting knife), only 2 kitchen chairs in a family loft for 4 people (except those on the terrace where it was too warm to sit most of the time), water was running out of the toilet on the floor and did not get repaired despite our warning. I found a piece of glass on the cildren's playground, gave it to a member of staff who hardly reacted. Luckily nobody got hurt.
Apartment equipment ok, think it has been renovated recently, but work has been done in "Greek style" if you know what I mean. We had two small lizzards on the ceiling, my husband took them outside with a towel. It is better not to leave the windows open (also because of mosquitos).
Breakfast was ok in the beginning, but you had to be there early if you wanted to get the nice things (eg. fresh croissants). The last few days we got so bored with it that we preferred to have our own breakfast in the room. Luckily we ate dinner elsewehere.

General remark: I do not regret having stayed there, but once was enough for me and my family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank toughlady
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The location is amazing. Lots of green around you, next to a small lake, just 100m from the beach and can combine relaxation and partying at the same time.

In general the hotel is recently renovated with some new rooms over the reception (where i've stayed) in the standards of higher class hotel suites. Modern architecture and a Jacuzzi only for the customers of the suites for free. The view from where the Jacuzzi is and a small observatory ( where one can also dine, we booked early so we got the chance to have a 3 course dinner there) is breathtaking.

I read all about the complains such as there are mosquitoes or frogs, but one must always bear in mind that the hotel is in the nature. The water used to smell a bit rusty but apparently it was the high concentration of iron. The last 3 year it has been resolved (don't ask me how).

It is hard to find as a foreigner or a new to the area tourist, so you have always to remember to turn right, leaving the main road, where you see the sign ISA camping.

Personally with my partner, we love this place. In the area there are some amazing beaches as well as restaurants quite cheap and picturesque.

Tristinika beach is rather big and the hotel has its one umbrellas placed for its customers. Beach bar for getting an iced espresso also on the beach.

Room Tip: I would recommend the suites if one can afford it. Some rooms have kitchenettes.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dimitris S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sithonia
Toroni Blue Sea Hotel & Spa
Anthemus Sea Beach Hotel & Spa
Lagomandra Beach Hotel
Lagomandra Beach Hotel
#3 of 8 in Neos Marmaras

Been to Hotel Despotiko? Share your experiences!