“Very poor service at Athos Palace”
Review of Athos Palace Hotel

Athos Palace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Kallithea
“Very poor service at Athos Palace”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Not even a 'Welcome' when we arrived. We got a smoking room, even though we'd asked for a non smoking. We had to struggle to get our free Wi-Fi. Air conditioning didn't work well. 'All inclusive' didn't include much, just the basics. Worst of all was the staff's attitude and service.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank MaLj1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Please think twice about booking this hotel, I actually refused to check into it the rooms are terrible and as pictured in the brochure. Prison food is better than the slop that is served here, I have eaten out in the nearby towns every night where the standard has been lovely. I have transferred to the theophanos princess next door where the rooms are nice but still poor quality food. The only good thing is the location on the beach and the friendly and helpfully staff.
Please please do not book the Athos it will spoil your holiday and waste your money.

Room Tip: Theophanos princess hotel has nicer rooms than the athos palace
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Marina P

Travelers are raving about these Kallithea hotels

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have just returned from this "hotel", where i neede to stay 11 days with my 2 kids... I've been to hundreds of hotels all over the world, on all continents, even to an excellent hotel in Halikidiki, just 15 kilometers away from this.
I have never met this or imagine it could be, never expected that there could be such rude and disgusting attitude to customers.

The staff is just awful!!!

I wonder where to start from:

1. At arrival (I am obvious a mom with two kids) I asked for a CALM room. They gave me with a hypocratic smile a key. The room happened to be on the last floor with sea view, facing the "olimpic" pool with all-day-long animation programme.

2. There was NO AIRCONDITIONING, outside was 36 degrees C, on the last floor it felt like 40. I asked about this, the answer was: "Yes, we know. It is not working. There will be airconditioning WITHIN FEW DAYS. Whya don't you open the door? (!!?!!)" "Because peaople are screaming like crazy with the animators and my kids would like to sleep!" The next answer: "Animation is ONLY UNTIL MIDNIGHT!" (OK, explain this to my 4-year-old... :-()

3. I asked for another room or my money back. The answer was: "No other rooms sorry! You are loosing my time!" (That is your JOB ?!?!?!!!!). Fortunately another receptionist came and he gave us a "calm" room. Still no aircondioning, but at least calm.

4. On the next day there was airconditioning, I believed we can start enjoing but...

5. There is NO kids swimmingpool, so we had only the beach;

6. The beach of this hotel is too small, with no sun umbrellas, but with a kind of tents, alltogether 20 - you can imagine how 450 people go there ... So I had to buy an umbrella because I do not like the workaround with getting up at 7 AM and run to the beach to place your things somewhere to "reserve" ... and then have 10 people around you on 4 sq. meters;

7. The sea is stony and muddy with a lot of life there ... so the kids could only use the bank :(

8. There was a nice beach, next to this, but everything there was not included, i.e. you needed 8 additional euros per day for an umbrella and chairs ... So we could not used the "included" anything on the beach!

9. We finally came to the STAFF. The only staff that counts for anything are the chambermaids, everyone else is ... just everything else sucks! You are treated like the most terrible invador, everywhere. Especially in the restaurant: rudeness and arrogance everywhere.
I do not care for how their food is (it was not bad) this behavior and attitude kills everything.
Incredible how you ask for a glass of water (at least 5-6 times) and you receive it (if receiving at all) after 45 minutes, if you are still there.
Or, you have ONLY ONE paper serviette and if you dare to ask for one more, you either never get it or get thrown on the table 3-4 more.
Everything is thrown on the table. Waiters scream (??!!!!) on you, take your plate full with food from your hands while you are still eating ... etc, etc.
The most exciting was how the waiter drops down the knife and the fork on an empty table, then takes them from the floor and puts both back on the table (?!?!)

10. There are 4 small elevators for the whole hotel, that are always, always full. It takes 10 minutes usually to go from the reception to the floor ... Fortunately, I do not have a baby or a toddler so we used the stairs, even when I had baggage, but poor moms with trolleys ...

DO NOT GO THERE. It does not worth a single euro of the price! It could not be more terrible anywhere else!

Room Tip: Do not go there! If by chance you are obliged to stay there like me, choose non-last floor (8th) and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
19 Thank rally1303
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed May 2, 2012

wonderful kitchen beautiful restaurant chef Mr.Giannis is wonderful !!!
we will come again !!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank keloyros
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We spent a week at this hotel in July and we were disappointed by the unacceptable behaviour of the hotel staff including management (Front Desk and F&B Department). This was our 1st trip to Greece and we were very excited until we came to the hotel to check in. We had reservation confirmation though receptionist told us that they had no rooms available and we had to be moved to another hotel. We came to check in with the group and the whole group was given the rooms except for us. So after an hour of arguing the receptionist announced that he found a room! But when we entered the room it turned out to be Single, though we had Double room booked. We asked for the Front Office manager and the manager appeared to be so indifferent that we were really staggered. After an hour of arguing he finally found us a Double room. So we came to the conclusion that they had a room but wanted to save it for someone else.

But what made us really furious was the restaurant staff. When we came for breakfast, we preferred to seat outside. But once we came and the waiter closed the outside door just before our faces and said rudely that we are not allowed to seat outside! When we tried to ask him what that was supposed to mean, he just turned and left. the following attempts to speak with the restaurant manager were even worse. He shouted at us something about the air conditioning which was working inside as the reason for not allowing us to seat outside. Not having listened to me, he just left in a hurry. And this was all happening in a 4-star hotel!!!!! Being hotel workers ourselves we were just shocked to have experienced such a terrible staff behaviour.

Moreover, drinks during the meals are not free of charge, even water!!!, and you have to pay for ice (!!!) 4 dollars! This is ridiculous!

Of course we have to admit that the hotel territory was very big and beautiful and the beach was perfect. But despite the beauty of the resort the hotel workers spoiled our vacation a little bit, so this was our first and last visit to Athos! If you want to have an exciting vacation, never book this hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Inna S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed in May 2006 alone. Rooms were beautiful, the pool was lovely indoor and outdoor. Staff very friendly. Only complaint was beer served outside in plastic cups. Very poor for a hotel of this size and standard

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank DaizieDook
Zlin, Czech Republic
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I "wanted" to stay at this hotel during one week in september. But at this time the hotel was occupied by big international conference participants. I booked this hotel four months before the stay, I payed the money!!!, and after my arrival, they simply said, that they do not have my name in the reservation system. Then the fun started. The receptionists (very angry) , some lady (head of reservation department) started playing theater, that they are checking the system and all the files, etc, etc. So I roamed around and once per hour checked the status quo. At 7:30 PM!! (so after 5 hours) they told me, sorry, we did not find your reservation, go somewhere else. During the long five hours of waiting, I wanted 10 times to speak with manager, and I allways received the answer, that in 5 minutes, he will come... guess what, he did not appear. In conclusion, if this was unique case (and only I had bad luck), I would say, OK, these things happen, but during the day, I saw personally and speak with many people with the same problem, from different countries, with prepaid vouchers from different travel agencies or booking portals (hotels, venere, booking.com etc.) and all these "cheap" reservations was mysteriously lost in the system, while conference participants who paid "big money" obtained their rooms. Later, some taxi drivers confirmed, that this is typical... For me, it was very disappointing, that we were kicked out in the evening from the hotel, with no advice, where to ask, where to find nearest hotel, and with the words: if you want to find something, help yourself, take your laptop or smartphone, and pay 3 or 5 euros for the internet. But back to the hotel - I can not rate the quality of room, food, etc. I only noticed, and heared from my friend (who was lucky and paid big money and reserve the room through conference organizers website), that quality of food was not very good, the hotel is more like 3 star, not 4 star, and the beach... heh, only someone, who never visited the sea can call this rocky beach a "beach". Nearest nice beach was in the Alexander the great beach hotel. As a recommendation - I rented a motor-bike and ride it around the Kassandra peninsula, and Kallithea is just a small city, with lot of souvenirs shops, restaurants, pubs, without nice beach, promenade, where you will get bored within two days (if you are not 20 years old). It is better to go to Polychrono - Pefkochori area if you prefer nice beaches. For the rest of my stay in Chalkidiki, I stayed one night in Alexander the great beach hotel and 6 nights in Possidi Holidays resort.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
11 Thank Roman813
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Pallini Beach Hotel
#8 of 11 in Kallithea
Theophano Imperial Palace
Theophano Imperial Palace
#59 of 125 in Kassandra

Been to Athos Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!