“Fantastic holiday”
Review of Sands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lefkada
Sands Hotel
Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Lefkada
Reviewed October 12, 2013

There were six of us staying at this hotel and we all had a great time. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The pool was great and quite warm. A small and friendly place where everyone speaks to you, not like the large hotels. I have been to many places in Greece and this was by far one of the best. My friends have just returned for a second visit and enjoyed it, so we will be booking for next year too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pompeySouth
There are newer reviews for Sands Hotel

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Went to the Sands Hotel with Olympic flying with Small Planet airlines. The plane was an old 737 and uncomfortably hot on both outbound & inbound flights. Arrived at the Sands and was greeted by Laertis. This guy is very friendly and well travelled. He has been to England visiting London and Harrogate. It makes a nice change to be greeted with a warm smile every time I passed through reception rather than the usual woman talking angrily on the phone all the time. The rooms are basic with no TV or telephone but are clean and neat. The self catering is the usual Greek two hobs and a basic assortment of cutlery/pans/etc. It has to be noted that the safety deposit box is in reception. For those unfamiliar with Greece it also has to be noted that you have to pay for the air con. The Sands is a small hotel but with a big friendly atmosphere, some might not like the shared balcony but I think it encouraged people to be more sociable. If you are having lunch in Nidri don’t bother walking up into the town, the snacks that Laertis offers are very good and available all day long. There are some slight negatives, light sleepers could be disturbed by the noisy fridge and the hot water was variable. I paid for my air con and safety deposit box on arrival and was not pleased when on my final day that Laertis said that I needed to pay for the air con and safety deposit box. I thought there was going to be a scene but thankfully it wasn’t mentioned again, so if you do pay on arrival ask for a receipt. I can’t understand the bad reviews that some people have posted, if you’ve got a problem see Laertis will sort it out pronto. This has been my fourth Greek holiday and the Sands has been by far and away the best value for money. Phil the Olympic rep was very good, the only annoying thing was all the excursions I wanted to book were all on a Tuesday or Wednesday and clashed with each other. N idri is very scenic, the town itself is busy even in September. It is not a Brit hotspot so there are no Irish bars and only one English bar. The Devine Bar which owned by a Brit and is full of English people at the weekend but pretty dead through the week.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Andyq1960
Reviewed September 24, 2013

just returned from a weeks stay at The Sands which was brilliant.We have travelled around Greece for many years so we know what to expect from greek accommodation.First impressions at 11 o clock at night were favourable-the pool looked wonderful under the lights and Leartis was very friendly and welcomed us- previous reviews about his attitude and bullying type attitude were totally unfounded- he asked if anyone wanted air-con or a safety deposit box and it was left to individuals to decide. Our room was no. was 209 which at first we felt was a little smaller than usual greek s/c however we had two dual aspect doors leading out to a double balcony which looked out towards the mountains which was lovelyand made up for the inside space.Plenty of storage in the room and the bathroom was adequate.The room was kept spotlessly clean on a daily basis and sheets/towels changed twice in 7 days.We only ate here twice as we love to eat out and have a good wonder around-the one snack that we had was good and we had one breakfast which was really good.The pool area was spotless and plenty of sunbeds, what more can one ask for a weeks s/c !! I will finish this review by saying that Leartis and his family run a lovely,friendly, clean hotel and are very hard working and we hope to return again for 2 weeks next time.

Room Tip: 1st and second floor rooms have the views
3  Thank flossyPembrokeshire
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Had a great time at the Sands,our first time on the Greek Islands.2 Star hotel,basic,which is what you might expect,but we don't spend much time in the room anyway.Room 301 at the top front has beautifull views to the front overlooking the bay,the side view is equally good with the mountains.We got what we expected from the Hotel,we did not have a problem with Laertis or Natasha even though we did no go to the BBQ the second week.The first one was excellent,not getting to bed until 2am(My wife went to bed early and I told her I only be half an hour ! )We have allways made what we can out of a holiday and we did just that.Lovely town,great tavernas and friendly people.Also met some great characters in our two week stay.Phil the Rep was excellent,very helpful and friendly.Recommend it if you want a nice quiet relaxing holiday. Mike and Gina.

Room Tip: 301 with its fabulous views to the front and side
1  Thank 93michael1
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our 3rd holiday at the Sands and we specifically requested room 309 which we also had last time. It has excellent views of the mountains behind the hotel and enables you to enjoy the sun until late in the day. Laertis, who owns the hotel, works harder than anyone I have ever met and nothing is too much trouble. His lovely family also provide an excellent service. I agree rooms are basic but they are kept spotless with a cleaning service 6 days each week and fresh towels and linen twice a week. There are two sets of double doors onto the balcony which make the room feel deceptively spacious. Upon arriving we requested extra pillows and they were provided immediately. We also noticed the mosquito net covering one of the doors was damaged and it was replaced (not simply repaired) the next day. There were some ants the first day but that was because we left sweets near the cooker. We moved the sweets and hey presto the ants disappeared. Not exactly rocket science! The rest of the hotel including the pool area was also kept spotless. If you have an issue then let Laertis know and as you can see it will be dealt with. Don't do nothing and wait to complain when you get back! The Sands is excellent value for money which is supported by the majority of reviews. Also, I recommend you try the BBQ night. Excellent food and great value for money. However, don't take a strangers word for it. Try it yourself.

Room Tip: suggest you request rooms 309 or 308> we have stayed in both and found they suited our needs
1  Thank Evelyn D
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hi, I have been coming to this hotel for the last five years, sometimes twice a year and have never written a review on the site before but after reading a comment saying the hotel was absolutely awful I felt I had to write in.
I usually come to the hotel in August and of course the weather is very hot; on arrival I am greeted by the hotelier who asks me do I want air conditioning and/or a safe. The answer is simple a yes or no; I do not know how this client can consider this as bullying, come on. My opinion here is the client decided after three days she did not want it and could not afford it and then expected it to just be cancelled like that, please note the hotelier is there to run a business for all clients.
I am getting older and I do have trouble walking up stairs and getting out and about, on more than one occasion Laertis has kindly taken me into town to get a few things at the shop, he does not have to do it but he wants to as this is how high his standard of service is. I have seen him go out to the shops on six or seven occasions when a client has asked for something which is not on the menu but he does not want to let his clients down so he will shoot of and buy the items required.
I came to the barbecue the first week which by the way was fantastic and I and my husband eat at the hotel at least three times a week, why? Well, the food is not only great but it is very well presented, something you do not see in some of the restaurants in town.
The hotel has a menu which shows the prices, the prices have stayed more or less the same in the last three years since I have been coming here. Yes Laertis adds the price up in his head and very rarely makes a mistake; if he does but chance on one occasion make a mistake isn't it easier to challenge him on his error, oh no shirlbrams does not seem to be capable of that but thinks she will be more powerful just writing a negative review. His wife has become more involved in the business since I have been coming to the hotel; she speaks Greek and English and used to be a journalist, I wonder what languages shirlbrams speaks? She certainly does not have a high standard of written English; incorrect spelling of whether and poor use of capital letters for places, and she calls the owners wife thick!
During my stay even though I did not come to the barbecue the second week he spoke to me and my husband on a regular basis and came to shake our hands at the end of our stay.
Client Shirbrams should go back to Corfu in Greece, stay in her shack and count the money she has saved from not having air conditioning and she will be far happier and leave this hotel to all the guests who do appreciate his kindness. For readers reviewing this please look at all the positive comments, look at all the people who take the time to write in praising him and finally read his customer comments book on the reception desk to see what clients are really saying about this hotel.

Room Tip: I usually stay on the ground floor and find that I am very comfortable there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Brenda T
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been coming to Sands for many years and I can't believe some of these reviews !! If you take the trouble to talk to Laertis he's a good guy and what is wrong with being able to add a bill in his head ? The rooms are quite basic but clean and most have 2 balcony doors or 1 with a window and they all have a sea or mountain view.
I will be coming back again and so will many of the other guests I have met.
The location is ideal just over the road to the main beach and a stroll into town, with some good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family