“Definitely Not Going Back”

Monika Hotel Apartments
Ranked #113 of 404 Hotels in Corfu
Sherbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Definitely Not Going Back”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was disappointed with my stay at Monika Apartments. I visited with my girlfriend for a week. We stayed in a double room on the ground floor of the main block (despite having booked a room on the first floor).

On arrival the bathroom was dirty; I was very reluctant to touch the taps; the shower, toilet seat and flush button had stains on it. The shower curtain was also very dirty. The other main issue with the bathroom was that at certain times of day there was no hot water to shower with. It seemed to be around 6 to 7 pm which I assume is due to everyone else having a shower at the same time and the apartment block running out of hot water temporarily.

The self catering facilities are virtually non existent. Don’t come and stay here with the intention of realistically being able to cook yourself any decent food. The kitchen sink was hidden in a cupboard and more worryingly there was no hot water connected; I’d never imagine washing up at home without using hot water.

The room itself was just about acceptable but the TV didn’t work and the blankets had stains on. Air conditioning was an extra 35 euros and was very useful, although all the air conditioning units leaked onto the passageway outside and left smelly water all over the floor, and often you would get dripped on whilst walking back to your room.

The rooms should have been cleaned everyday, but they weren’t unfortunately. They were not cleaned on the days when there was a large changeover of holiday makers as the staff seemed too busy. This is particularly a problem when the used toiled paper bin isn’t emptied (as you can’t flush loo roll down the toilet in Greece). Also, a couple of times the door to the outside veranda was left unlocked by the cleaners.

Another thing worth mentioning is that we were refused clean towels. They are changed once a week, but ours were unfortunately blown onto the floor whilst drying outside and the stray cats(of which there were a few) sat on them. When we asked for them we were told there weren’t enough available. The towels are also only hand washed (you can see the cleaning staff doing so during the day time). When dealing with the british receptioninst we found her very rude and patronizing. We are a younger couple (20-30) and it appeared that she treated us differently to families and older couples.

The Olympic rep was also very unhelpful when we mentioned that we were refused clean towels. My annoyance about this has grown as I’ve just read a review below mentioning that they were given clean towels on request.

There are a few good things worth mentioning:
The bar and cleaning staff are all very polite and friendly.
The bar is very clean and reasonably priced for most snacks.
There is free wi-fi in the bar area.
The pool area was very clean and there were plenty of sun beds for everyone and free use of inflatable li-los and balls.

Despite the good points I couldn’t recommend anyone else to go here and I definitely would not go back.

3 Thank Dominic T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We arrived at around 3am - room open ready for us to go straight in. As it was early the reception was closed but lucky for us our room wasn't far from the main reception as the rep simply pointed us in the direction of our room.

The room was small but clean, the self catering facilities were somewhat of a joke. A small hob and another contraption that did not even work, just as well we were willing to eat out every evening. The sink was in a cupboard and did not have any hot water running to it.

The bathroom, where to start? As I walked in I was greeted by a smelly shower curtain that had seen better days, there were stains on the toilet seat, the tap in the shower was filthy and the tap on the sink was not even fixed correctly. These we just a few of the issues that lingered in the badly lit and smelly room. The next day I went and got some cleaner and after that I felt safe to shower.

Room was cleaned everyday.. almost. Being in Greece you're not able to flush toilet roll. Now, I would expect that to be changed everyday but nope, I think it was missed two days running. We were left for four days without clean towels, not ideal, but not the worst thing in the world! However, when I asked for new towels, I was told by the ever so rude receptionist, Cheryl, that we were not allowed new towels and the hotel did not have enough to spare us.

Moving on.. the bar staff were polite, kind and even asked me if I'd like my beer replaced as it got warm in the sun very quickly. The receptionist on the other hand was very much on the other end of the scale: rude and had a rather, sarcastic and patronising tone. We were so disheartened by her attitude we actually made an effort to avoid her.

Good points: Pool and bar area, location is far enough away from the strip that it was silent at night.

We are a young couple and we had just a week together. We were looking forward to nice food, a few drinks and relaxing in the sunshine after working hard all year. No, it is not the most luxurious place to stay but it certainly wasn't the cheapest and we are thoroughly disappointed with the level of service.

Having read reviews and talking to people in the complex - people do genuinely find this a nice clean and friendly place to say - even comments made about how lovely Cheryl is - but what we noticed is, these comments were made by families and couples who were older than ourselves. Maybe an assumption was made about us? Who knows, all I know is I will not be recommending this place to anyone.

It's a shame because it could be great!

6 Thank Georgie C
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed in room 12, 19th - 26th August.
This is a lovely hotel, the apartments are VERY basic but clean. The maid comes in daily, but you only get 2 towels per person per week, however when asked for 2 more towels, I was given them. I would recommend air con, which is 35 euros for the week, this is a must. You can get a safety deposit box which is located in the reception area for 10 euros per week. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the receptionist is English and is very lovely, she recommended places to visit, Kassiopi is definitely a place to see. If we came back to Corfu we would stay there. Pool lovely and clean, with plenty of seating around it.
Food at the hotel is delicious and very reasonably priced. Mosquitoes are a problem, I was bitten quite badly on the legs and they became infected. (you could get that anywhere). The location is ideal, nice quiet area, but only 10 mins away from the centre of Sidari (the strip), with shops and tavernas on the way. Beach near the apartments is 2 mins away. There is entertainment in the hotel 2 nights of the week. A singer who is really good, and a Greek night. Overall a lovely holiday. Would recommend Monika hotel.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Set back from the beach this accommadation is set alongside the river. Clean and basic. Small pool and over crowded pool side.
Only a short walk along the beach front to get to tge main strip. Noisy appartments next door who hired out for pool parties.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank eskimohunter
Pewsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Clean and basic apartments. Friendly staff. Nice pool and grounds, bar and snack bar area. Location great for peace and quiet, yet only a 10 minute walk to the centre of Sidari for bars etc. A few tavernas on the way. Main beach busy and quieter beach nearer hotel.

Good prices for meals and drinks in resort. Reception recommended places to eat for good greek specialties.

Lots of excursions if required and Sidari very pretty and green.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is great if you are looking for cheap and cheerful. The rooms are VERY basic, but the maids are in everyday and the place is spotless! The hotel's pool bar was lovely, we had breakfast here pretty much every day then we went to the pool which was very nice, clean and spacious. There are also plenty of sunbeds around the pool so you won't have any bother getting one. The air con for the room is 35 Euros for the week and my advice...PAY IT! The room was like a sauna before we bought it, so glad we did! There is also the option of buying a safe for valuables, this is 10 Euros for the week. However it is a bit annoying as the safes are all in the reception and you get a safe key but you still need a key from reception to open it. The downfall for me with this hotel is the location. It is about a 10 minute walk away from the strip but there are few pavements so most of the time you are walking on the road and the locals tend to drive a bit on the wild side. Also, mosquitoes are a bit of a problem here, but I guess you'd get that anywhere. All in all, this was a late deal for us and it was a good hotel, we had a great holiday overa

Room Tip: We were in room 34 and the view was lovely.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed from 9th to the 16th August, family of 4 including 5 year old twins. we had a lovely time here, we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was very spacious. The rooms were basic but very clean (housekeeping visited daily), loads of wardrobe space as well.Our children loved the pool, again this area was very well maintained and clean, the food was good here and the staff especially the waitress Denia (may be spelt wrong!) who the kids loved. It was a family atmosphere and all the staff, and guests, were very friendly. Overall we had a lovely, relaxing holiday, the main strip in sidari was far enough away for us to not really notice the nightlife but we could go out if we wanted. The one thing we would have liked was for the Monika to have provided more entertainment in the evenings, the one night they had a singer was enjoyable, Overall we would recommend here for families looking for a budget break in the summer holidays.

Room Tip: 2 bed apts in block are spacious